Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Borla Exhaust Is Out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-07, 09:27 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the Borla response posted earlier in this thread:

Originally Posted by Borla
Thank you for contacting BORLA PERFORMANCE. The system for this vehicle does not remove any cats and is smog legal. If you have additional questions regarding Borla exhaust check out our web site www.Borla.com you may contact me Direct anytime Mon-Fri 8:30-5:00 PST with questions or concerns
Regarding our products.
Here is the response that I received earlier today from Borla:

Originally Posted by Borla
Thank you for contacting BORLA PERFORMANCE. Unfortunately Borla does not offer any discounts but we do offer sponsorships if you are interested in applying for this please let me know. If you have additional questions regarding Borla exhaust check out our web site www.Borla.com you may contact me Direct anytime Mon-Fri 8:30-5:00 PST with questions or concerns
Regarding our products.
Old 01-05-07, 04:49 AM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow finally a photo of the exhaust, been looking for one for months.

From what I've been told from several Borla dealers is that the exhaust is ordered from Borla and it takes them several weeks to get it out. Don't know if they are covering their own butts by making this kind of statement.

I may order one straight from Borla or from AJUSA.com, they regularly have 10% off and they quoted a price of $1099.99 before any discounts.
Old 01-05-07, 05:44 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

i never got a response back about their exhaust removing the secondary cats. tight lip'd i guess.

gernby you need to hurry up and get sounds up so i know whether to buy it, while its still available
Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
there is no bolt on cat back system for the IS, thank lexus for putting flanges after the resonator instead of before it
once again, don't open your mouth if thats the kind of crap that comes out. there are mounting flanges directly after the primary cats. it takes quite a bit of ignorance to say "there is no cat back system for the IS" when there's a damn picture of it in the same thread in which you posted.
Old 01-05-07, 06:17 AM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by uschardcor
i never got a response back about their exhaust removing the secondary cats. tight lip'd i guess.

gernby you need to hurry up and get sounds up so i know whether to buy it, while its still available

once again, don't open your mouth if thats the kind of crap that comes out. there are mounting flanges directly after the primary cats. it takes quite a bit of ignorance to say "there is no cat back system for the IS" when there's a damn picture of it in the same thread in which you posted.
i think what hes trying to say thats its not a true "bolt on" system. the pipes from the primary cats to secondary cats still need to be either welded or clamped on. looking at lobuxracer's post the exhaust is smog legal since it keeps both sets of cats but the pipe between them needs to be clamped/welded on. i prefer a bolt on installation with flanges rather than the slip on clamps that appear in the pics. if i were to purchase this exhaust, id install it and then have a muffler shop weld the pipes together to make sure there are no leaks.
Old 01-05-07, 07:39 AM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

As pictured, the Borla exhaust is a cat-back bolt-on. There are flanges directly after the primary cats. Personally I don't think that the exhaust pictured on Borla's webpage is the actual exhaust they are selling, here's why:

-Removal of the second set of cats
-No visible O2 nipples immediately after the first flange

Your ECU will be going nuts with the outright removal of both Bank2 O2 sensors, and you will never pass an inspection as the OBDII codes would end it before it started.
Old 01-05-07, 04:57 PM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

Ok heres the new scoop. Just got off the phone with one of the "engineers" at borla and he said the exhaust pictured is not the official exhaust yet. The one pictured is the wrong one because it has the second sets of cats removed. He said they have to have a meeting on wether or not to sell them like that (w/ the 2nd set of cats removed) or wether they will redo the exhaust and have the second sets of cats worked back in. He did say that if they did sell the system without the second cats, then the system will be classified as "for off-road use only" because the system might not pass emmissions. He did also say a few systems were made but the were put on no-sale for right now. Hope this helps you guys looking to buy this exhaust.
Old 01-05-07, 05:08 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

That sucks. It is also weird that I just got an email from Borla saying that this exhaust is already shipping.
Old 01-05-07, 05:19 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I don't know what to do here ... if I receive an exhaust that is different from what is pictured on their website, I'm going to be REALLY pissed. If what yellowssm is true, it also sounds like I'll be waiting for it for a LONG time. Why are we getting so many contradictory responses from Borla? Here is the email that I received from Borla sales today.

Thank you for contacting BORLA PERFORMANCE. These systems have been shipping so if they have the system instock you should have it soon. If you have additional questions regarding Borla exhaust check out our web site www.Borla.com you may contact me Direct anytime Mon-Fri 8:30-5:00 PST with questions or concerns
Regarding our products.
Old 01-05-07, 05:56 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,004 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Hmmm. Did some more digging, didn't like what I found, but here it is anyway. Note there are no breaks in the system between the header flanges and the end of the resonator. So, the exhaust they are showing in pictures is definitely illegal for street use. Ouch.

The only way to make it legal is to cut out the OEM cats and weld them in place, AND be sure the bungs are present for the O2 sensors.

It's a shame Toyota didn't merge the exhaust before the twin little cats. They could have used a single larger unit and saved some piping. At the same time though it leaves an opportunity to put in two larger cats and maintain legality. Hmmm...
Attached Thumbnails Borla Exhaust Is Out!!!-exhaust-system.jpg  
Old 01-05-07, 06:12 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
You local guys are welcome to come to the dyno session, but I do plan on attending some of the regional CL member gatherings.
Gernby, I'd love to come by. I live in arlington, but work in dallas. Let me know when you are going to do it. Alsol, I'll throw in a 10 or 20 there on the spot to help you with your dyno fee.

Let me know when you are going to do it.

comb
Old 01-05-07, 06:19 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Hmmm. Did some more digging, didn't like what I found, but here it is anyway. Note there are no breaks in the system between the header flanges and the end of the resonator. So, the exhaust they are showing in pictures is definitely illegal for street use. Ouch.

The only way to make it legal is to cut out the OEM cats and weld them in place, AND be sure the bungs are present for the O2 sensors.

It's a shame Toyota didn't merge the exhaust before the twin little cats. They could have used a single larger unit and saved some piping. At the same time though it leaves an opportunity to put in two larger cats and maintain legality. Hmmm...

where did you get this diagram?
Old 01-05-07, 06:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,004 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Factory Service Manual.
Old 01-05-07, 06:42 PM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
where did you get this diagram?
http://techinfo.toyota.com/
Old 01-05-07, 08:27 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

The twin cats couldn't be too much larger (if any) in diameter because I think they are already almost touching each other.
Old 01-08-07, 12:57 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I just spoke with Borla sales on the phone, and the salesman said he just got the memo that this product has been put on the "no sale list" due to the removal of cats. They may have shipped some of them already since they have them on their shelves, and there are currently no open orders for them. I hope that mine was one of those that may have shipped before all of our inquiries about it changed their minds about selling it.

I REALLY wish the issue about cats hadn't been pressed with them ...

Quick Reply: Borla Exhaust Is Out!!!