Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS350 and FlowMaster 40 series Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-07, 01:15 PM
KMRIS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350 and FlowMaster 40 series Exhaust

After hearing all of the crap with the new Borla system I had a local shop weld on a couple of FlowMaster 40 series mufflers this weekend. I kept the stock tips on the car to keep it clean but the sound is far from stock. Check out the pictures and videos on the link below. We tried it with the resonator removed and some other piping options but it was WAY to loud so I had them put it back on. I don’t think Ill see more power out of the car but the sound is what I was looking for and the cost was about $300 out the door. After checking around I think you can get the FlowMasters for about $99 a piece and most shops are about $60-$75 an hour. So out the door I think you could get this done for under $300…but it was worth the money to me.

Check out the vids and pictures in the link below.

http://www.kmrbatteries.com/IS350.htm
Old 01-08-07, 01:56 PM
golfproatl
Pole Position

good work on the video

I like the sound but it seems a bit too loud for my taste. The inside the cabin video seems VERY loud to me but you are at WOT.

I think I am going to go the Magnaflow route in a couple of days. For only $300 bucks I can rip it out and put the stock ones back on if I don't like it.

Did you consider the Magnaflows at all?? Why did you choose the flowmaster?
Old 01-08-07, 02:20 PM
KMRIS350
Driver

I initially went in looking to do Magnafows after seeing another post on the CL. But they didn’t have two that would fit on the shelf. So I had them bolt up “not weld” one just to hear it and I wanted a little more sound. Either way I think custom is the way to go. I could have them bend a straight through system “no 2nd cats” and pick up all of the HP gains and get the sound I want for WAY less money then some of the systems out today.

Just my $.02
Old 01-08-07, 03:07 PM
GNN60GT500
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well with the Magnaflows, they do take a few miles to break in- and with one stock muffler and one Magnaflow- I have a feeling it would sound pretty quiet- thats only half the exhaust!

However my car is pretty quiet from the inside on the freeway- but then again that is what I wanted-
Old 01-08-07, 03:39 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not trying to knock the videos or your effort, but the only video that really seemed representative of the exhaust is the one where you drove down the street and back. The one inside the garage probably exhagerated the sound because it was firing into a closed the garage, and the one inside the car was overwhelmed by the windows being down. Plus, it's hard to tell how much of the sound is coming from the Fujita intake. I imagine the intake is way louder than the exhaust.

I hope the shop did a good job reinstalling the resonator. Hacking up the mid-pipe then welding it back together with lowerr quality welds might have cost you some power.
Old 01-08-07, 03:40 PM
ibaxnu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KMRIS350
After hearing all of the crap with the new Borla system I had a local shop weld on a couple of FlowMaster 40 series mufflers

Check out the vids and pictures in the link below.

http://www.kmrbatteries.com/IS350.htm
For the inside vid clip, did you have your windows open or closed. I'm concerned that it would be way too loud for comfort. However that exhaust note from outside is just great.
Old 01-08-07, 03:42 PM
golfproatl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GNN60GT500
Well with the Magnaflows, they do take a few miles to break in- and with one stock muffler and one Magnaflow- I have a feeling it would sound pretty quiet- thats only half the exhaust!

However my car is pretty quiet from the inside on the freeway- but then again that is what I wanted-
Yeah..I think I'm after the same thing.

I just orderd two magnaflow cans and tips on ebay. I'm going with a four inch tip.

Just for the look of the polished steel of the cans alone, I think I will be happy. I don't give jack about any hp gains by doing this. It has to sound better than stock because stock doesn't make any sound
Old 01-08-07, 03:43 PM
KMRIS350
Driver

Originally Posted by GNN60GT500

True! Either way Im glad you started your Magnaflow post I think it will make people think about custom exhausts.
Old 01-08-07, 04:05 PM
KMRIS350
Driver

Originally Posted by Gernby
Not trying to knock the videos or your effort, but the only video that really seemed representative of the exhaust is the one where you drove down the street and back. The one inside the garage probably exhagerated the sound because it was firing into a closed the garage, and the one inside the car was overwhelmed by the windows being down. Plus, it's hard to tell how much of the sound is coming from the Fujita intake. I imagine the intake is way louder than the exhaust.

I hope the shop did a good job reinstalling the resonator. Hacking up the mid-pipe then welding it back together with lowerr quality welds might have cost you some power.
Good points! The F5 does add some noise but honestly it’s not close to the level of the exhaust. If anything the videos are not doing the exhaust Justus. Unless you are listing to the vids with a good sound system you’ll never experience the low-end that it puts out. I watched the vids on my computer attached to my KRK monitors and its like I’m next to the car in real life. If I get more time Ill try and do a vid with the car parked away from my garage to remove some of that reverb and also get some shots with the windows closed at a normal drive rate. Not at WOT … MY intension was to show how loud it gets not how quiet.
Old 01-08-07, 04:18 PM
KMRIS350
Driver

Yes putting the resonator back in was not fun...It took longer to grind and clean the cuts then it did to do the mufflers. We almost just replaced it and rebent all new pipes but finding a double in single out was not working on a Saturday so we did the best and it turned out great. I think when I get more time and money Im going to do a single pipe design but Im not sure how its going to look in the rear or go back and do a true dual like RORO did. But thats another project!
Old 01-08-07, 04:21 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Music to my ears! Awesome job! Can we get a few pics from the rear? Straight on shots.
Old 01-08-07, 04:53 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KMRIS350
Yes putting the resonator back in was not fun...It took longer to grind and clean the cuts then it did to do the mufflers. We almost just replaced it and rebent all new pipes but finding a double in single out was not working on a Saturday so we did the best and it turned out great. I think when I get more time and money Im going to do a single pipe design but Im not sure how its going to look in the rear or go back and do a true dual like RORO did. But thats another project!
What did RORO do? Any links about it?
Old 01-08-07, 06:04 PM
KMRIS350
Driver

What did RORO do? Any links about it?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=roro
Old 01-08-07, 07:09 PM
rh350
Driver School Candidate

I would be interested in a better rear photo as well, something that shows how far down the mufflers hang below the bumper. Additionally, what type of muffler in the 40 series is it (standard 40 series, super 40 series or delta flow 40 series)?
Old 01-08-07, 07:19 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Thanks. I found it after a bit of searching. I was impressed with Roro's efforts, but I don't think his dual exhaust was well conceived. He should have atleast implemented an H-pipe.

Quick Reply: IS350 and FlowMaster 40 series Exhaust