Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Super Charged or Turbo Charged?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-07, 03:38 PM
Automan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Super Charged or Turbo Charged?

Ok so I am a novice under the hood. What is the difference between Super Charged and Turbo Charged? Which one is better for the GS? How much HP can you expect with each setup? Positives and negatives for each setup? Is 300RWHP good for a GS300?
Old 01-08-07, 03:53 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

this should get you started...
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question122.htm
http://www.proficientperformance.com...percharger.php
http://www.forcefedperformance.com/T...bochargers.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercharger
Old 01-08-07, 06:03 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Automan
Ok so I am a novice under the hood. What is the difference between Super Charged and Turbo Charged? Which one is better for the GS? How much HP can you expect with each setup? Positives and negatives for each setup? Is 300RWHP good for a GS300?
When I had my S/C GS300 I loved it and that was enough for me at that point. Watch the classifieds in the next few weeks.
Old 01-18-07, 11:12 PM
treimche
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would always recommend a turbo setup over a supercharger setup. My reasoning is, it is easier to make power with a proper turbo setup than it is with a supercharger setup. BUT it NEEDS to be set up properly, this is very important.
Old 01-25-07, 07:14 AM
boosted-gs
Pole Position

but doesn't a turbo require more maintaince? i always thought that it would be easier to do a supercharger setup rather than a turbo setup. yes the turbo will give me power but i believe the supercharger will be more reliable.
Old 01-25-07, 07:43 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It all depends on what parts you are using and how everything is set up and tuned. I prefer turbo because of ease of part swapping and ease of increased boost. Its a little more pjumbing than a SC but on 300 motor its an ease. I had a turbo V8 and that exhaust plumbing was way more difficult than an I6.
Old 01-25-07, 12:35 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

A supercharger is more reliable than a turbo period imo, especially when your trying to get more HP. I know of a few people with turbos and their always working on them or tuning them. When a turbo is tuned and working properly, they work well. Also, turbos are more stress on the motors, instant HP dumped all at once, that's why I choose the S/C over a turbo. Plus the piping, header issues that comes with turbos. If you're going for high HP/s then go turbo, it's easier to add and gain HP. If you want a good HP increase and will be content, get the S/C.
Old 01-25-07, 01:53 PM
boosted-gs
Pole Position

lexizm i sent you a private message.
Old 01-25-07, 01:59 PM
Chin
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a second generation GS300, what are all the supercharging options available to me? I have personally installed dozens of Whipple superchargers and basically they were as reliable as a stock motor. The Whipple only required an occasional gear oil change and that was that. Instant 100+ horsepower all day and everyday with no questions asked. If something did happen to go wrong with the blower (never happened). All you had to do is put your stock serpentine belt back on and keep on rolling. I love superchargers.
Old 01-25-07, 04:26 PM
treimche
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexizm
A supercharger is more reliable than a turbo period imo, especially when your trying to get more HP. I know of a few people with turbos and their always working on them or tuning them. When a turbo is tuned and working properly, they work well. Also, turbos are more stress on the motors, instant HP dumped all at once, that's why I choose the S/C over a turbo. Plus the piping, header issues that comes with turbos. If you're going for high HP/s then go turbo, it's easier to add and gain HP. If you want a good HP increase and will be content, get the S/C.
Sorry but i have to disagree with a lot of your post. Your opinion is that supercharging is more reliable than turbocharging but can you prove it? For the people with turbos always messing around with stuff, they can get a good tune on it and leave it be, as long as everything is tuned and set up properly (as stated before), it will be perfectly fine, and make more power to boot. I would also like to know how a turbo puts more stress on a motor? If its running more boost than a s/c setup, then yes it is stressing the motor more, but just turn the boost controller down and there you go. You mentioned header issues w/ a turbo setup, but if your turbo kit is GOOD quality, you won't have any issues. With a supercharger setup, you can have a lot of issue also, slipping belt, snapping belts frequently, more stress on the other pulleys (accesories and crankshaft) depending on how tight the belt needs to be, and changing s/c oil, you dont have any of those with a turbo! I'm not trying to be a **** here either, just some good points from my experiences and also trying to convince someone that turbo is the way to go!
Old 01-25-07, 07:40 PM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexizm
I know of a few people with turbos and their always working on them or tuning them. . . turbos are more stress on the motors
Boost is addictive and is a turn of a **** away on a turbo setup. That is why a lot of people keep tuning them. They keep adjusting them for more power. Its hard to leave power at hand idle. I can see your theory on sudden boost being worse, but I dont think, nor do I believe it is correct. Boost is boost. Besides, SC put drag on your motor to make power. They steal some to make more. Turbos recycle wasted energy into usable power. They dont rob from the rich to give to the rich. They just give the rich a bonus check. check out turbomustangs.com if you want blunt/rude facts.

Last edited by KiPod; 01-25-07 at 07:40 PM. Reason: i still cant spell
Old 01-25-07, 08:55 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by treimche
Sorry but i have to disagree with a lot of your post. Your opinion is that supercharging is more reliable than turbocharging but can you prove it? For the people with turbos always messing around with stuff, they can get a good tune on it and leave it be, as long as everything is tuned and set up properly (as stated before), it will be perfectly fine, and make more power to boot. I would also like to know how a turbo puts more stress on a motor? If its running more boost than a s/c setup, then yes it is stressing the motor more, but just turn the boost controller down and there you go. You mentioned header issues w/ a turbo setup, but if your turbo kit is GOOD quality, you won't have any issues. With a supercharger setup, you can have a lot of issue also, slipping belt, snapping belts frequently, more stress on the other pulleys (accesories and crankshaft) depending on how tight the belt needs to be, and changing s/c oil, you dont have any of those with a turbo! I'm not trying to be a **** here either, just some good points from my experiences and also trying to convince someone that turbo is the way to go!
Originally Posted by KiPod
Boost is addictive and is a turn of a **** away on a turbo setup. That is why a lot of people keep tuning them. They keep adjusting them for more power. Its hard to leave power at hand idle. I can see your theory on sudden boost being worse, but I dont think, nor do I believe it is correct. Boost is boost. Besides, SC put drag on your motor to make power. They steal some to make more. Turbos recycle wasted energy into usable power. They dont rob from the rich to give to the rich. They just give the rich a bonus check. check out turbomustangs.com if you want blunt/rude facts.

As far as your comments are concerned I'm not bothered, everyone has their preference and opinions.

It's a fact that turbos create more power easier than superchagers, but it's also fact that they cause more stress and damage to the motor than S/C's. Can you say motor internals, hello. Most healthy people can pick up and hold a 100 lbs child time after time, but you drop a 100 lbs child on someone, then 110, then 120 on the same person, sooner of later their going to drop them and something is going to start hurting trying to hold all that weight at one time. Superchargers increase in added HP as opposed to turbos is instant close to max HP slammed on the motor.

I haven't heard of pulley issues with S/C's and as far as changing oil, some of the later versions of S/C's there is no more of that issue. Also, if anything breaks with the turbo, you car is 'shut down' until it's fixed, with a S/C change the belt and the motor is working fine on it's own.

I really drive my car, so having XX amount of HP that I don't use just to say I have it, doesn't float my boat. To each their own, S/C 4Life baby!!
Old 01-25-07, 10:06 PM
Supraownzu
Driver

turbos do not create more stress on a motor, in fact the way boost comes on as the turbine spins up is actually easier on a motor. a supercharger makes boost as soon as you spin it, and in some cases is making boost at idle depending on the supercharger. you act like a supercharger cannot put out more boost ever. it may be easier with a turbo to turn the boost up, but you can do the same thing with a supercharger, its just a bit more work.
Old 01-25-07, 10:21 PM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

Doesn't look like theres a clear cut answer here. But in terms of GENERAL OVERALL long-term daily driven reliability which would you guys go with?

Also who sells a S/C kit for the GS300? I can't find any with a quick google search.

Last edited by uplusd; 01-25-07 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-25-07, 10:41 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mrurmil
Doesn't look like theres a clear cut answer here. But in terms of GENERAL OVERALL long-term daily driven reliability which would you guys go with?

Also who sells a S/C kit for the GS300? I can't find any with a quick google search.
Yeah you can boost up with S/C's just change the pulley but it's much more limited than turbos,just facing fact. Luxury Motor Works makes superchargers for the GS3. I just spoke to them on Tuesday.

Quick Reply: Super Charged or Turbo Charged?