Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Should I install Torque Master Plugs!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-07, 09:45 PM
400 Degrez
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I install Torque Master Plugs!!!!!

Should I install Torque Master Plugs!!!!! I heard some good stuff about these plugs are they worth it?
Old 01-09-07, 09:50 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Hi, should you use search to get the answer to this question? YES PLEASE

Instant answers, no waiting - has been covered many times.

Try going to advanced search
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/search.php

put in 'torque master' and select 2nd gen GS in the "Search in Forum(s)"

Thank you
Old 01-10-07, 02:41 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally, I didn't notice much of a difference on my 120,000 mile GS4 but it was time and it needed plugs. They sure are NOT cheap though.
Old 01-10-07, 02:44 PM
ksu1998
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BA_GS400
Personally, I didn't notice much of a difference on my 120,000 mile GS4 but it was time and it needed plugs. They sure are NOT cheap though.

Ditto......
Old 01-10-07, 11:26 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

I just installed a set in my 2000 GS400 with 86K and I have to say I do notice a difference.

There does appear to be more torque/power with the new plugs. Now is it just that I have new plugs, and any new plugs would give the car a little more grunt, or is it the TM's doing their thing? Well all I can say is there is a little more power than before - and I like that !

I did pull the ECU fuse after install. Make sure you do this if you do decide to install these plugs.

Also, the car sounds a little more mean. I have stock intake and exhaust, but when I get on it there appears to be more of a sound you would expect if I had an aftermarket intake or exhaust -- note that this is a very very subtle sound and for someone that didn't know the car - they would probably not be able to tell. But I can. Just a little more throaty in the mid and upper rpm range. And with that throaty sound also comes more umph!!!

Hey - just my 2 cents worth from my seat of the pants dyno meter - and as they say: Your mileage may vary
Old 01-10-07, 11:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott1258
I just installed a set in my 2000 GS400 with 86K and I have to say I do notice a difference.

There does appear to be more torque/power with the new plugs. Now is it just that I have new plugs, and any new plugs would give the car a little more grunt, or is it the TM's doing their thing? Well all I can say is there is a little more power than before - and I like that !

I did pull the ECU fuse after install. Make sure you do this if you do decide to install these plugs.

Also, the car sounds a little more mean. I have stock intake and exhaust, but when I get on it there appears to be more of a sound you would expect if I had an aftermarket intake or exhaust -- note that this is a very very subtle sound and for someone that didn't know the car - they would probably not be able to tell. But I can. Just a little more throaty in the mid and upper rpm range. And with that throaty sound also comes more umph!!!

Hey - just my 2 cents worth from my seat of the pants dyno meter - and as they say: Your mileage may vary
very good point. most people would "feel the car get better" coz' they had old plugs and now put in new ones.

however would i do it again? i highly doubt. i put in TM plugs in my gs400 at around 50k miles, and at two different occasions when my car was around 70k, two mechanics drove my cars and asked if the plugs were old or worn, since they felt something weird about them.

in any case i pulled the plug and got some new OEM plugs again, and after changing the TM ones out, the mechanic asked what they are, coz' they are all worn out already in pretty bad shape

so much about this mod to me
Old 01-11-07, 12:22 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
in any case i pulled the plug and got some new OEM plugs again, and after changing the TM ones out, the mechanic asked what they are, coz' they are all worn out already in pretty bad shape

so much about this mod to me
Greeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaat - I JUST bought a set... haven't installed yet.

haha

oh well - such is life. no worries - i got a good deal on them so it's all good.
Old 01-11-07, 06:52 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Adding my two cents.

Several years ago, I got them after some recommendations in my forum. Didn't do dink for me. However, then my RX was literally bone stock. I was hoping it would help burn better the crap gas we had down here until the formulation recently changed. When back to Densos.

Then last year, after finishing a ton of modifications, I decided to give them another go around.

I noticed the difference. With my increased air flow especially, the TMs came to life and I noticed I had a much lower HC reading on a exhaust analysis, even come emissions time (which I do for voluntary reasons to drive every day here).

Only complaint is that with my use of racing gas (unleaded of course) as a cleaner along with other additives, not to mention one years use of high sulfur gas here, the plugs got pretty fouled up. However, that goes for most vehicle running the regular gas here alone (I use premium though) after one year.

They get my recommendation.
Old 01-11-07, 10:56 AM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Rominl - I think I read somewhere here on the board that TM changed their design at some point - when did you have the TM plugs? Could they have been the older design? And does anyone know for sure if they did change the design?

Also - anyone have them in their car for 50 - 60K miles and want to comment on their experience with the longevity of the plugs.
Old 01-11-07, 12:04 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I installed these TM spark plugs about 5 mos. ago...I like them. I feel smoother idle, smoother acceleration and a little more power regardless if it's because they are just new or the fact that they are TM's.
Old 01-11-07, 11:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Rominl - I think I read somewhere here on the board that TM changed their design at some point - when did you have the TM plugs? Could they have been the older design? And does anyone know for sure if they did change the design?

Also - anyone have them in their car for 50 - 60K miles and want to comment on their experience with the longevity of the plugs.
i don't know if that's the new or old design. i can't remember exactly what the mechanic told me after he took them out, but he did explain to me how the TM is not as durable as the stock ones.

mine i probably got them back in late 04??
Old 01-12-07, 09:27 AM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I got mine in 2002 on a group buy. I have about 65k with the TMs. Absolutely no problems, never misses. I'm thinking about changing them soon and will probably get TMs again. Definitely noticed a slight difference. I would also like to know about the design change.
Old 01-12-07, 11:45 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS430lvr
I got mine in 2002 on a group buy. I have about 65k with the TMs. Absolutely no problems, never misses. I'm thinking about changing them soon and will probably get TMs again. Definitely noticed a slight difference. I would also like to know about the design change.
I read somewhere here on the board that there were some folks who had trouble with the prongs coming off and getting into the engine. I think they were referring to some RX7 Turbo cars that had the trouble if I do recall. RX7 Turbos getting insanely hot! Therefore the cause for the design change, do to the weakening of the prongs with excessive heat, as the urban legand goes.

So, from what I recall about this the talk was about TM having had prongs that were soildered on and now they are cast or whatever and are not soidered (I know this is not spelled right). This was the design change I was referring too. Again, I don't know if this is correct - just passing along info I read a while ago. Perhaps someone knows the reality if there was a design change. Please post if you do!

So far I am pleased with the TM plugs in my 2000 GS4.
Old 01-12-07, 11:53 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

correct, the prongs are now one piece (part of the plug itself) instead of soldered like the previous design.
Old 01-13-07, 05:54 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I just ordered another 6, so will check them with the design I have currently. Incidentally, I bought a set for my cousin, who has a 1995 VW Golf VR6, and he can definitely notice a little more torque when he hits the gas.