Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Custom exhaust design based on other after-market products.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-07, 10:06 PM
IS350PRO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the LMS exhaust and I'm very happy with the product. The sound and power in combination with the Fujita intake is great. I do advise that you weld the male and female midsection slipfittings and cut gaskets for the header flange's to seal the system completely.
Old 09-20-07, 06:44 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by newis350
combfilter. have you taken your car for the dyno?
Comb..you need to hurry up and get back to the dyno soon before your new Borla off-road exhaust shows up. Either way, once I get your mid-pipe I'm going to dyno it as well in conjunction with my Tanabe. Curious to how much louder my car will be. I'll pitch in a few bucks for your dyno session.
Old 09-20-07, 07:14 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't know Troy ordered the Borla ... can't wait to hear it!
Old 09-20-07, 07:19 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gernby
I didn't know Troy ordered the Borla ... can't wait to hear it!
ooops hope that wasn't a secret. He picked it up new for $650!!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=304066
Old 09-20-07, 08:32 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Caymandive, where in that thread does it say I bought it?
Old 10-16-07, 07:03 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Well i've decided to ditch the swappable secondary cats with test pipe idea and will be following Gernby's and Combfilters method of modifying the mid pipe tomorrow. After my wedding and honeymoon is over I'll get on the dyno and see what happens and will be at the track Nov 4th for the imports vs domestics battle and a few test and tune days afterwards. I know Gernby tried to get dyno results with his custom mid pipe, but there were some issues that day with the shop's setup and it showed negative gains. I'm volunteering to be the next guinea pig and see what happens. I've also got some 245/35/18 comp tires that I'll be replacing the BFG drag radials with to get better gearing. I can't let those 4cyl Hondas/Acuras beat me again this year in the SS class.
Old 10-16-07, 07:55 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

welcome to the wonderful world of drone..
Old 10-16-07, 07:58 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by combfilter
welcome to the wonderful world of drone..
That is another thing that I'm curious/worried about. I'll be sure to post any sound changes. I think i'm the first with Tanabe exhaust to remove the secondary cats, so who knows.
Old 10-16-07, 09:31 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Are you going to do NEW dyno runs before and after the mid-pipe modification?

Good luck with the lower profile tires. If they are street tires, the loss of traction might negate the benefit of lower gearing. Keep in mind that the lower gearing will make it easier to brake the tires loose.
Old 10-16-07, 11:00 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Are you going to do NEW dyno runs before and after the mid-pipe modification?

Good luck with the lower profile tires. If they are street tires, the loss of traction might negate the benefit of lower gearing. Keep in mind that the lower gearing will make it easier to brake the tires loose.
I'm going to use my last dyno runs for comparison and just hope there isn't a loss in power. I'm not going to spend $100 for a new baseline run and then spend another $100 for an after cat-removal run. I'll just be happy as long as I see higher numbers than my previous runs throughout the power curve. Yeah yeah I know there are variables involved with engine wear-in since the previous time, etc, but this is the best I can do and the most I'm willing to spend.

The tires that I will be using are not standard street tires, but DOT approved competition tires that look like typical street tires. I'm having them heat cycled and shaved as well. (Kumho Ecsta V700)

Last edited by caymandive; 10-16-07 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-16-07, 11:52 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Why shave the V700s? It is already at the minimum tread depth, and shaving them will cut the tire's already short life in half. If you were talking about a Toyo R1, then that would be another story...
Old 10-16-07, 11:59 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Why shave the V700s? It is already at the minimum tread depth, and shaving them will cut the tire's already short life in half. If you were talking about a Toyo R1, then that would be another story...
That is what tire rack recommended. Also in the tire description it says:
"Kumho advises that the Ecsta V700 DOT-legal competition radial must be shaved prior to use in dry conditions. If this tire is not shaved, excessive wear may occur causing the tire to wear to the cords prematurely in a localized area."
Old 10-16-07, 12:32 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caymandive
That is what tire rack recommended. Also in the tire description it says:
"Kumho advises that the Ecsta V700 DOT-legal competition radial must be shaved prior to use in dry conditions. If this tire is not shaved, excessive wear may occur causing the tire to wear to the cords prematurely in a localized area."
BFG said the same thing about their R1's in the '90s, but everyone that I knew who actually shaved them were crying about it 2 events later. It's really disappointing to only get 10 miles out of an $800 set of tires.
Old 10-17-07, 03:57 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Well I finally got my modified mid-pipe completed. Sounds pretty much the same overall as with just the Tanabe. I do however notice at higher rpms more of an exhaust note than before which is good because I thought it was too quiet above 3500rpm with just the sound of exhaust flowing out the pipes. Also between 3000-3500rpm i notice a slight raspyness/tiny sound like the E46 Exhaust has, which isn't a big deal and more prevalent at 3/4 throttle than WOT. Now for the best part the drone doesn't appear to be any louder than before. I still have to drive around a bit more to comment on any changes on droning, but my first impression is that it hasn't increased and if anything reduced. As for performance the car "seems" more responsive and as if it has more power, but who knows. Sometime during the week of Oct 29th I'll throw in on the dyno prior to the Imports vs Domestics event at MIR Nov 4th where I'll be in the Street Stock class designed for 2-rotor, 4 cyl and 6 cyl powered cars. No power adders or motor swaps allowed, so my primary competition will be Integra Type R's, RSX's, E46 M3's and perhaps the new Infinity G's.

1. View looking towards primary cats and O2 Sensors (Removed the OEM heat shielding before the TWCs)

2. View looking towards the rear of the car

3. Full exhaust view (Sorry this was the best I could do on ramps)

4. Secondary TWC's which weigh a total of 7lbs

Last edited by caymandive; 10-17-07 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-17-07, 04:24 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Looks good.

Quick Reply: Custom exhaust design based on other after-market products.