Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Custom exhaust design based on other after-market products.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-07, 05:49 PM
haulinick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well...i got it done today. magnaflow mufflers and magnaflow x-pipe. I must say that i am very impressed with the sound alone. It's very deep. Everyone that was by the shop was like "thats a v-6?". they expected it to sound ricy i guess. haha
its got a really low growl at about 2-3k that is very loud in the cabin but as soon as u open it up it goes away. either way it doesn't bother me... i love it
I'll repost with some info on performance if i notice any difference. I haven't got a chance to see yet since i had other, (older) people wit me i didn't feel like scaring.
Old 11-07-07, 06:23 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you are describing drone to me. Which Magnaflow X-pipe did you get? Do you have any pictures of anything? Please?!?
Old 11-07-07, 06:51 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am so sold on magnaflow's products. I love their quality and overall look. Def. take pics of the tips you chose, and the mid pipe. When I get started on my next project I will be re-incorporating my magnaflows. I still like the way my magnaflow system sounded over my boral.

Can't wait to see pics.
Old 11-07-07, 07:17 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, magnaflow products are top notch...
Old 11-07-07, 09:06 PM
haulinick
Driver School Candidate

the x-pipe is a magnaflow. I'm not sure what the part number is right now.
if you wanna call it a drone then yes...thats what it is. I might add that I am 16 and i just love sound. it doesn't really make it unless you give it a little tap on the gas.
these pics aren't great. I had to hold a flashlight and take them with my phone. I'll get some better ones soon. I meant to take them well it was on the lift but I forgot cause i was eager to hear it.

Old system

x-pipe

rear section

coming out of cats

muffler and tip

tips from back
Old 11-07-07, 10:52 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice x pipe...i just might get that..
Old 11-08-07, 06:11 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you kept your secondary cats?! Did you simply replace the stock resonator with an X-pipe? Did you add 2 smaller resonators before the mufflers?
Old 11-08-07, 07:14 AM
haulinick
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gernby
So you kept your secondary cats?! Did you simply replace the stock resonator with an X-pipe? Did you add 2 smaller resonators before the mufflers?
I wanted to keep it legal. The system is basically the same as the borla on-road. There isn't any resonators. It comes out of the cats into the x-pipe, then strait back to the magnaflow mufflers. Simple.
Old 11-08-07, 08:00 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm wondering just how much scavenging the X-pipe will provide being that it's behind the secondary cats. Probably not very functional with the secondary cats in place and being so far back in the exhaust system. Just thinking out loud.
Old 11-08-07, 08:05 AM
haulinick
Driver School Candidate

originally I wanted performance but now that I hear it I'm happy either way. It does seem to a little more pickup, but maybe that's just because I can hear it in the low rpm's now. Either way I'm happy.
Old 11-08-07, 08:09 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wonder what the sound will be like with out the resonators.. We all know the secondary cats are only good for 1-3hp, which isn't much. They are very non restrictive. I don't think he will have an issue.

This is on topic to me, but I saw some interesting setup on some of the SS trailblazers out at ennis last week. What a lot of those guys were doing to control drone was to use the magnaflow straight thru race mufflers in place of the resonators, then out to regular magnaflow mufflers like me and this guy have. Just something I saw. hmmm using mufflers instead of resonators.
Old 11-08-07, 08:15 AM
haulinick
Driver School Candidate

the only problem I see with using race mufflers is that they don't come in 2.25". I think the smallest i read was 3". I could be wrong. You could make it work but space might be an issue
*edit*I just checked, the smallest is actually 2.5". Using 2 as resonators may work

Last edited by haulinick; 11-08-07 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-08-07, 11:57 AM
Chaser07
Driver

Default Kinda Cool..

Originally Posted by caymandive
Dyno Results based on my previous best run: This car for some reason runs best hot!? I did several runs and they each kept getting better and better, which is the same thing I have done on all my dyno sessions. I finally stop when the numbers started to slightly come back down a bit. This dyno method should ensure that the coolant temps are all pretty much the same on my best runs (HOT) along with using SAE correction.

HP:
Gained consistent power of 6-4 hp from 4000rpm to 5500rpm
Gained 0 hp from 5500 rpm to redline, but didn't lose anything either.

TQ:
Gained a consistent 8-4 tq from 4000rpm to 5500rpm.
Gained 0 tq from 5500 rpm to redline and didn't lose anything here either.

Peak gains:

HP: +.53
TQ: +3.82

I feel pretty good about my set up now. Mine dyno'd out at just about the same number as yours... 267 & some change.

Not my car

Not my car
Old 11-08-07, 12:12 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaser07
I feel pretty good about my set up now. Mine dyno'd out at just about the same number as yours... 267 & some change.
Yeah your system is pretty much identical to the stock exhaust system in design, so I'd expect the numbers to be about the same. So basically instead of spending as much as you did, you could have just thown on some mufflers that utilize a y pipe design to the rear resonator and cut out the secondary cats and got the same power and possibly saved on weight. But for the full fit and finish your exhaust looks very good.

BTW are those resonators where the secondary cats used to be?

Last edited by caymandive; 11-08-07 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-08-07, 02:41 PM
Chaser07
Driver

Originally Posted by caymandive
Yeah your system is pretty much identical to the stock exhaust system in design, so I'd expect the numbers to be about the same. So basically instead of spending as much as you did, you could have just thown on some mufflers that utilize a y pipe design to the rear resonator and cut out the secondary cats and got the same power and possibly saved on weight. But for the full fit and finish your exhaust looks very good.

BTW are those resonators where the secondary cats used to be?
I really have no clue what those things are man. haha I would assume that they are "hi-flow" cat's considering that there is some sort of a resonator lookin thing at about the halfway mark.

And thanks for the props by the way. Yea, it just seems like too much of a headache/heartache to watch some greese money jerry riggin a 6 month old Lexus. It was only $900 ($876 shipped to be exact) I might consider something custom like if I owned a Mustang though haha ;-)

BTW, as far as weight goes...I put all my stock pieces in a box and tried shoving it over to the side and almost gave myself a hernia in the process. Haha So I am 100% positive that I saved an *SS load of weight by going with what I have. haha

Quick Reply: Custom exhaust design based on other after-market products.