Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Custom exhaust design based on other after-market products.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-07, 04:19 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mikeho summed it up pretty well, and I agree with combfilter for the most part too. I just think it is a little misleading to note caymandive's setup as being the "fastest". We don't know what the fastest setup is, since we haven't been able to get all the different setups together on the same day at the same track.
Old 12-05-07, 07:15 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lol yea i just looked under there right now./

=(... i just looked under at my exhaust..i need some headers and some straight pipes..
Old 12-06-07, 01:06 AM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by combfilter
I can't feel any gains , and never said that. You can't feel 5/10hp on a 300hp car. that's why i think it's so funny when people say they feel the power by installing a intake or something.

I have a borla off road right now, but I understand this thread is hard to keep up with since it's so long. I like my magnaflow sound better than my borla.

conclusion for me (and pretty much everyone will disagree): is that it doesn't matter what exhaust you use, removing 2nd cats will get you 1-3hp gain, about the same as an intake. This has been proven on the dyno over and over by joez. he will release his info sometime in the future (we hope).

As far as the rest of the exhaust goes (axle back) , that's up to you based on sound, tips, price. No axle back is any better than the other.

x-pipe might be good. I have not dyno'd my car and not sure if the other borla off road guys have either (actually wayntetech might have). i can't imagine it somehow being this magical thing that gives you a 15hp exhaust.

The fastest IS out there right now is caymandives which is straightup just a tanabe axle back(which might or might not give you 3-5hp), with his cats removed (which will give you 1-3hp proven). so what he could have a max of 8hp

I guess my 2nd conclusion is that exhaust for the IS are way over priced, so that is why I had said to build you own on other threads. I got my borla 1/2 price and will sell it for a profit(which is the only reason i bought it, and i was trying to get rid of some drone issues with my custom one).

Gernby can chime in here in about 5min and give you some reasons why I might be wrong, but all in all I think the conclusion of this is the rear cats give you about 1-3hp, and no exhaust is any better than the other. Seems like you summed up things pretty well though.
Thanks for the better clarity, Combfilter. Let me know how your parking lights (other thread) install goes. I guess if I were to ever get an exhaust it would purely be for the sound.

Originally Posted by Gernby
Mikeho summed it up pretty well, and I agree with combfilter for the most part too. I just think it is a little misleading to note caymandive's setup as being the "fastest". We don't know what the fastest setup is, since we haven't been able to get all the different setups together on the same day at the same track.
Thanks, Gernby.
Old 12-06-07, 06:22 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
I just think it is a little misleading to note caymandive's setup as being the "fastest". We don't know what the fastest setup is, since we haven't been able to get all the different setups together on the same day at the same track.

just to be picky, unless someone had defeated the electronic speed limiter, all IS350s are about equally fast- Y'all are competing to see who is quickest :P
Old 12-06-07, 06:46 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
just to be picky, unless someone had defeated the electronic speed limiter, all IS350s are about equally fast- Y'all are competing to see who is quickest :P
That's not really true. Quick times at the drag strip are more indicative of a good driver and good traction. Fast trap speeds are more indicative of power output. Since this thread is about designing the best exhaust, we really are looking for the fastest setup.
Old 12-06-07, 07:46 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry... was meant more as a joke... but to clarify among the domestic crowd I previously raced with quickest usually meant best times at the track, and fastest generally meant top speed (since the speed limiter was pretty easily removed by editing the ECU from your PC... an ability I -sorely- miss in my Lexus)

I agree if you keep the discussion in the context of the 1/4 mile track entirely then fastest in regards to trap speed is more inidicative of power than ET... ET is more useful for comparing engine-power-neutral stuff like torque converter stall speed or tire compounds for example.
Old 12-07-07, 06:10 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is a Burn's X- pipe with HKS mufflers. True duals 2.5" piping. I'll post one with load on the motor, later. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzSZnKKGtKE And don't hate; it rained this morning so my car is nasty. You can kinda hear the pulseing between the X-pipe at idle.
Old 12-07-07, 06:26 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds Great! You need somehow change those tips.. hahah it's a joke.. to each his own.

sounds really good.

ok so now we need that video of you driving with the n2o.......!
Old 12-07-07, 06:41 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by combfilter
Sounds Great! You need somehow change those tips.. hahah it's a joke.. to each his own.

sounds really good.

ok so now we need that video of you driving with the n2o.......!
What do you mean sir? You don't like coffee ! Then you'll really love my next mod
Attached Images  
Old 12-07-07, 07:06 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

^^ yes sounds great.. but we neeeeed to see a video with the n2o!
Old 12-07-07, 07:26 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

I'm going to get some N20 footage this weekend. Tommrow night.
Old 12-07-07, 10:01 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

good good!! im excited to see it.. oh and Im curious as to what you did for the burns x pipe, did you just tell them what (2) two into one collectors you wanted, and had them weld it and send it because thats the only way I know of getting one.. also how much did it cost you?
Old 12-07-07, 11:13 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn niggy that sound ...nice.."borat"
Old 12-08-07, 07:41 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jeremy
I'm going to get some N20 footage this weekend. Tommrow night.
i hope the video comes soon!!
Old 12-09-07, 07:04 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

I got some footage last night, but having prolbems uploading to youtube. I'm busy today and it might be tommrow before I get it worked out. Sorry.

Quick Reply: Custom exhaust design based on other after-market products.