Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Custom exhaust design based on other after-market products.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-07, 12:52 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always thought we would start seeing continuouisly variable length intake / exhaust plumbing on cars once we started getting variable cam timing. I picture it looking like a trombone slider. Combfilter, wanna try working that into your design?

Last edited by Gernby; 01-16-07 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-16-07, 03:00 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

sure!

btw, tracking info shows my stuff getting here thrusday, so we are looking good for a sat install. sunday at the track testing if you tx boys want to roll out and hear any changes.

dyno tomorrow.
Old 01-16-07, 03:42 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I would like to see it on Saturday. Please take pics while it's still up on the lift!
Old 01-16-07, 03:47 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
I've always thought we would start seeing continuouisly variable length intake / exhaust plumbing on cars once we started getting variable cam timing. I picture it looking like a trombone slider. Combfilter, wanna try working that into your design?
You mean like this:

Check out the innovation tab for a video of what it does. Bikes have been beating cars in technology for decades. Oh, the other Yamaha technology is called EXUP - it provides the kind of variability in the exhaust you described. But that's only been out for about 20 years or so.
Old 01-16-07, 05:39 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

That's pretty cool about the Yamaha, but I didn't get the impression that it was a continuously variable design. It sounded like the dual stage intake that the IS-F propoganda talked about.

Combfilter,

When you do your dyno, make sure the operator does the following things.
1) TRAC must be turned off.
2) Tranny needs to be in 4th gear S-mode with ECT-Snow turned on. This will allow full throttle above 3K RPMS without downshifting.
3) Don't let the car idle before or between runs, but run the engine to about 2500 RPMs for a minute or two before and between runs to equalize coolant temps, and try to monitor coolant temp via OBDII if they have a scan tool.
Old 01-16-07, 08:06 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

ok will do, i'll copy this and hand it to the dude. What sucks is I am going to be doing this on a super cold day, isn't that going to make it show more hp?

so any predictions right now on hp gains after the mod? I am guessing i'll be lucky with 8-10. Prob. more like 5-7?
Old 01-17-07, 05:40 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by combfilter
well put your 2cents in. We'd like to hear it.

do you happen to know if the stock resonator is straight thru?
I was just looking at the stock "Pre-Muffler" It is in fact a straight through resonator, but not your average one. It also has side walls, so I'm assuming air is also pasign through there, since It is much larger than your "Cherry-Bomb" type resonator, I suppose this would be correct.

Also note: That if you remove this resonator, and add HKS Carbon TI mufflers, You will have a drastically louder car, with plenty of RaspyNess at certian points of the RMP scale....
IF noise is a concern, you should enter some type of Chamber system into your exhaust, like the guy with the GS did. If you notice he has all straight pipe exhaust, However he had a Chamber style exhaust muffler at the end, and this was what eliminates most of the extra noise we dont like to hear---well me at least

Last edited by t0e; 01-17-07 at 05:44 AM.
Old 01-17-07, 07:53 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the info t0e. I think I am going to leave the stock resonator, and see how it dyno's.

Speaking of dyno, the freaking weather here in texas has been ****. It was supposed to be cold, but not icy or anything. Well our great weather people here screwed this one. Woke up to drive my IS to work today and there's sleet and snow everywhere. I don't drive my IS in this stuff. It's not me I am scared about, it's other texas drivers that don't know how to drive on ice. So, long and short, I will try to get off work early tomorrow to dyno.
Old 01-17-07, 08:05 AM
07Txlex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea dude it blows.. I had to drive mine to work.. Let me tell you IT IS NOT FUN!!! Took me forever to get out of the gate at work and it only has a TINY incline.. I was just looking at tha weather and it's supposed to off and on rain/sleet/snow until like monday, so I think it's gonna be hit and miss for ya man, either way lemme know
Old 01-17-07, 08:20 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

The cold temps shouldn't be as much of a problem for the dyno results as hot weather. The SAE correction factor will adjust the results down when it is cold, and up when it is hot, but the SAE factor accounts for temperature only (not ignition timing changes due to temperature). IMO, that makes SAE correction much more accurate when it is cold.

EDIT: I didn't mean to say that SAE doesn't adjust for other aspects of climate (barometric pressure, humidity, etc.), just that it can't adjust for how the ECU will react to the climate.

Last edited by Gernby; 01-17-07 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-17-07, 01:24 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

It's not the cold i am worried about though. it's the ice on the roads. hehe going to try tomorrow.
Old 01-17-07, 01:52 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by combfilter
It's not the cold i am worried about though. it's the ice on the roads. hehe going to try tomorrow.
I thought the roads are just wet. My deck is covered with ice, but the ground seems to be too warm.

I work from home, so I don't get out much...
Old 01-18-07, 06:33 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Is it just me or does it appear that the Megan exhaust is a true cat back exhaust. Looks like it removes and/or replaces the rear set of cats.

From their website:
Model Number : MR-CBS-LI0625

- Dual titaninum 4" tips
- 2.5" piping
- Resonators included
- Direct bolt on
- T304 stainless steel
- Gains torque and power
- Total is 6 pieces set up, including 2 axle backs, y pipe, mid pipe and 2 front pipes.

YouTube Video sounds sweet, but not sure about the burnt tip look. Guess they could be replaced with something else. From Inside the car video Here.

Last edited by caymandive; 01-18-07 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-18-07, 07:26 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I think the Megan exhaust just puts small resonators / pre-mufflers where the stock cats used to be.
Old 01-18-07, 09:33 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

OK guys/gals. My mufflers and tips came in today. I will pick them up this afternoon.

found a place that is open today to dyno also, so that should be taken care of.

I have an appt. this sat to get it all installed. Sounds kind of expensive. They want 75.00 for the mufflers, I am hoping that is both and who knows how much for the straight pipes.

They said because of the weather there is a chance they might not be there sat, so if the weather is good, combfilter will have his new setup.

Quick Reply: Custom exhaust design based on other after-market products.