Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Custom exhaust design based on other after-market products.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-07, 09:36 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by combfilter
OK guys/gals. My mufflers and tips came in today. I will pick them up this afternoon.

found a place that is open today to dyno also, so that should be taken care of.

I have an appt. this sat to get it all installed. Sounds kind of expensive. They want 75.00 for the mufflers, I am hoping that is both and who knows how much for the straight pipes.

They said because of the weather there is a chance they might not be there sat, so if the weather is good, combfilter will have his new setup.
Good luck man!
Old 01-18-07, 10:19 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nevermind. I had my friend go by and pick up the package. only 1 muffler came in. both tips though. So i just had to call and reschedule for the sat after next. this sucks guys. The 2nd muffler will be here monday, i called the place and they said it drop shipped from magnaflow and they forgot to give me that other tracking number. . If I can somehow get off during the week I will try. However, this looks like I will be waiting all the way till next sat to do this. Not my fault. he sent me some pics of the muffler and tips. They look cool on my phone pic viewer
Old 01-18-07, 10:29 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep tracking that 2nd package. If it arrives at UPS or Fedex Friday evening, you can probably pick it up in person before they close on Friday evening. I've done this before when I didn't want to wait for a Monday delivery.
Old 01-18-07, 04:41 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Combfilter, I would like to contribute $20 to your dyno sessions if you will provide your PayPal account address. I'm sure several others will do the same. You are providing us a good service by doing a before / after dyno session.
Old 01-18-07, 08:00 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Thanks gernby. paypal addy = combfilter@hotmail.com. I do appreciate it. OK so you know I got it done today 75.00, and then I will get it done about 100mi. after the install which looks like it will be next sat.

Gernby was nice enough to graph the only 2 decent dynos from today. I had to call him twice cuz the people doing my car didn't know jack. They only deal with mustangs. heheh when he first pulled it on the dyno he thought it was front wheel drive. He also screwed the first few up so bad that it wasn't worth it. so thanks again to Gernby for taking the data files and weeding them out for the good information.

Here's the numbers

OK so step 1 of the baseline dyno is out of the way. step 2. (parts) is 90% complete besides missing a muffler. I am trying to hunt the piece of paper I wrote down the t number on from magnaflow. step 3 if for some reason I am able to grab this package ahead of monday, then we need to hope it doesn't ice over again. The guys at the shop that I talked to that are doing the work said if it ices they aren't going up there on sat. That means I have to wait till next sat.

After that, it's back to the dyno to see what was gained.
Old 01-18-07, 08:00 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, so the stock resonator is a straight-through design, but it does do some sound muffling. Race mufflers typically look like this, they cut out some sound, but not much. This means its probably less for a specific RPM range, and more for general NVH isolation.

That Yamaha R-1 design has the possibility of continuously variable length, but not the implementation. The technology is too slow to keep up with sportbike motors, whose accelerations typically exceed 20,000rpm/sec.

Regardless, good luck with your install.
Old 01-18-07, 08:31 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Paypal sent...

I hope you do get the muffler tomorrow, and the weather is nice (enough). I would really like to drive down there to meet you and see the exhaust. Thanks for your trail blazing!
Old 01-18-07, 08:33 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Irishman06
OK, so the stock resonator is a straight-through design, but it does do some sound muffling. Race mufflers typically look like this, they cut out some sound, but not much. This means its probably less for a specific RPM range, and more for general NVH isolation.

That Yamaha R-1 design has the possibility of continuously variable length, but not the implementation. The technology is too slow to keep up with sportbike motors, whose accelerations typically exceed 20,000rpm/sec.

Regardless, good luck with your install.
Are you sure that sport bike motors rev 20,000 RPM per second?! I didn't even know sport bikes could do 20,000 RPMs in neutral! I could see a sport bike doing maybe 6K RPM per second in 1st gear, but not second gear.
Old 01-18-07, 11:09 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

OK, so 20k is an exaggeration, but not by much... I think I've seen from idle to redline in under (or near) a second on an engine dyno. That's easily 12k rpm/s. But it doesn't include moving something heavy like a tire/wheel combo, on the end of a long chain. The numbers do shock you a bit though, kind of like when you wonder how an engine controller can have an acceleration compensation for throttle changes of greater than 100%/second, it takes a minute to register.

Its still faster than the electronics could sustain, when you consider you'd need a crank pickup, a controller, and a linear stepper motor to drive the whole thing.
Old 01-19-07, 02:39 PM
07Txlex
Pole Position

Hey troy where did you go? I was waiting on you to call me about the coupon, I've been carrying it around lol.. Hey man I want to meet you for the exhaust, just to hear it.. Can't wait hit me up man
Old 01-19-07, 02:47 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

This place right by my house. i was all in a rush cuz I thought I was going to get all my parts by today. Actually, we are working on trying to get the last part which says it will be here monday. My friend is going to go by and see if it's made it to the location close to me.

yea speedtek was closed for their dyno for the last 3days. cold weather be screwing everyone.

I am going up tomorrow to get my straight pipes put in. if somehow my buddy get the other muffler today from ups then I will have those installed too while i am there. however, looks like this sat (weather permitting) straight pipes, next sat mufflers and tips.

If it's dry sunday I will be at the track. Swing out.
Old 01-19-07, 02:53 PM
07Txlex
Pole Position

Straight pipes as in removing those 2nd cats and leaving tha silencer?
Old 01-19-07, 11:11 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

resonator is staying. cats are coming off tomorrow. Next sat is the muffler install. The mufflers and tips look nice. Magnaflow makes some nice looking ****.

btw, here is video of the stock dyno run. boring but whatever. We can use it for audio compared to when i dyno with the cat removal and new mufflers.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...28521968317962

Last edited by combfilter; 01-20-07 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-20-07, 11:41 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Something's missing .. Mufflers will be installed next sat. dyno the week after.
Old 01-20-07, 11:50 AM
nabisco
Lead Lap

I just removed mine on Tuesday as well as the resonator. I LIKE!

Quick Reply: Custom exhaust design based on other after-market products.