Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Custom exhaust design based on other after-market products.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-07, 12:23 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nabisco
I just removed mine on Tuesday as well as the resonator. I LIKE!
I would like to hear sound clips of this. However, if I were to remove my resonator, I would probably do the X-pipe dual conversion too.
Old 01-20-07, 12:59 PM
nabisco
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Granby
I would like to hear sound clips of this. However, if I were to remove my resonator, I would probably do the X-pipe dual conversion too.
I don't recommend removing the resonator. Not a fan of how it sounds! I will be putting it back sometime next week.
Old 01-20-07, 01:09 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I don't recommend removing the resonator. Not a fan of how it sounds! I will be putting it back sometime next week.
What did you mean when you said "I LIKE!"? Were you joking?

BTW, I had my cats removed at the same time as combfilter. It didn't make a noticeable difference in sound. When I stood behind combfilter's car, and he free revved it in neutral, it did have a slight rasp at high RPMs, but the stock exhaust may do the same for all I know. It sounds exactly the same inside the car to me.
Old 01-20-07, 01:52 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

nabisco did you notice any gains? You didn't happen to have a dyno from before did you? It's too freaking wet here for me to get on it and see if i can tell anything.

Like gernby said there was no change in sound which is a good thing for me. I knkow the new mufflers will change the sound , but from reading GNN's reviews should be a good thing. If i remove my resonator later, I am going to do the same as gernby said. do an x pipe then straight back.
Old 01-20-07, 03:48 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

After getting my cats removed, and not noticing a change in sound, I've decided to go with the HKS cat-back exhaust (non-Lexus) instead of the custom Magnaflow setup. I'm sure the Magnaflows would sound better, but I'm currently leaning more toward power and weight benefit.

Combfilter has already purchased his Magnaflow parts, so i'm trying to convince him to sell the parts and buy the HKS exhaust. Earlier in the thread, he seemed to have the same views about sound / performance that I have.
Old 01-20-07, 04:02 PM
nabisco
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gernby
What did you mean when you said "I LIKE!"? Were you joking?

BTW, I had my cats removed at the same time as combfilter. It didn't make a noticeable difference in sound. When I stood behind combfilter's car, and he free revved it in neutral, it did have a slight rasp at high RPMs, but the stock exhaust may do the same for all I know. It sounds exactly the same inside the car to me.
I ment that I like it. I wasn't joking.
Old 01-20-07, 04:04 PM
nabisco
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by combfilter
nabisco did you notice any gains? You didn't happen to have a dyno from before did you? It's too freaking wet here for me to get on it and see if i can tell anything.

Like gernby said there was no change in sound which is a good thing for me. I knkow the new mufflers will change the sound , but from reading GNN's reviews should be a good thing. If i remove my resonator later, I am going to do the same as gernby said. do an x pipe then straight back.
I havn't really driven my car hard at all yet. I only have 275 miles on it. Sorry but I won't really ever know!
Old 01-20-07, 04:07 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I ment that I like it. I wasn't joking.
Then why did you say this? They are TOTALLY contradictory.

Old 01-20-07, 04:20 PM
nabisco
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Granby
Then why did you say this? They are TOTALLY contradictory.
The picture above still has the resonator! I was talking about my application when I was asked about it! Two completely different things.

When I said I like it, I was saying that I like his setup.

You can PM me if you have more questions.

Last edited by nabisco; 01-20-07 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-20-07, 04:30 PM
07Txlex
Pole Position

Man ya'll left me out of the cat removal damnit!!! lol so gernby HKS for sho? I'm waiting for that other guy to post video of it on his 350 b4 purchasing.. So that shop had no reservations about removing them?
Old 01-20-07, 05:06 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I've already order the HKS, and it is supposed to be shipping on Monday from CA. If I get it on Wednesday, I will retune my Piggy-Back ECU and dyno it on Friday. I doubt it will get here that quick, but one can hope. I will take videos right away though.

The shop didn't even mention the legality issue, but surprisingly, they did say that they are legally required to keep our cats for 15 days before they can give them back to us. I thought that was really weird, but I do want my stock cats back. I plan to reinstall them before selling my car.

I didn't get an opportunity to take any pictures of my exhuast when it was up on the rack, so I took a couple at home. After seeing combfilter's I asked that the guy cut the cats further back, since there was an obvious change in outer diameter for about 2" (where the yellow circle is). I don't know if the inner diameter is different, but the change in outer diameter is evident in the pic that combfilter posted.

BTW, does anyone know where I can purchase OEM looking heat shields (circled in red) for the exhaust pipes to hide the new pipes and welds?
Attached Thumbnails Custom exhaust design based on other after-market products.-cat-removal-3.jpg  
Old 01-20-07, 05:10 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

If I can't find OEM looking heat shields, then I will probably just remove all the heat shields from the mid-pipe and paint the whole thing with a high-temp paint.
Old 01-20-07, 07:03 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i guess we forgot to mention one important thing, neither gernby nor I had any kind of check engine light come on. There were still people that had doubts that the ecu only monitors the front cats. That has now been answered.
Old 01-20-07, 07:54 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by combfilter
i guess we forgot to mention one important thing, neither gernby nor I had any kind of check engine light come on. There were still people that had doubts that the ecu only monitors the front cats. That has now been answered.
I guess Combfilter and I should have discussed this today, because I had NO DOUBTS about the check engine light not coming on.
Old 01-21-07, 06:43 AM
Frisco
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would there be room to use something like this for the X-pipe and maybe replace the resonator?
It's a Walker Dynomax Ultra Flo X. Supports over 500 hp.
Attached Thumbnails Custom exhaust design based on other after-market products.-wlk-17552_cutaway.jpg  

Quick Reply: Custom exhaust design based on other after-market products.