Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Custom exhaust design based on other after-market products.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-07, 06:13 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That X-pipe resonator really is interesting, but I've already committed myself to the HKS axle-back. Maybe combfilter should try something like that if my HKS doesn't dyno well!
Old 01-21-07, 08:55 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a straight-through "pre-muffler" type resonator like you'll see on racecars in series that have a sound restriction...interesting that they crossed the two inlets, but too bad that they did it in a way that significantly reduces the cross-sectional area. I think maybe that's one of those "no x-pipe better than a crappy one" scenarios.
Old 01-21-07, 09:21 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Where did they reduce the cross-sectional area in the X-pipe? There is only one "pulse" of exhaust flowing through either direction at a time, so the cross-sectional area shoud be as constant in either straight line as possible. That's why I think the Burn's X-pipes are so much better than the other stamped X-pipes (Magnaflow, Megan, etc.).
Old 01-21-07, 10:04 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

My concern (and the reduction in x-section I talked about) is that its one tube fishmouthed onto the other. In theory, a good idea, but in practice, you may have pulses running into each other at an angle, which usually causes disturbances in the flow. If you were to cut into one of the Burns x-pipes, you'd see its construction is more like two tubes crimped together and an ovalized hole cut in the shared wall, which brings the pulses together parallel to each other, reducing this disturbance.
Old 01-22-07, 11:53 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,424 Posts

Sounds like picking fly shyte out of pepper. The pulses will never arrive at the same time, so collisions are unlikely at best. I won't argue the Burns pieces being the ideal solution (no doubt they are), but only for getting the last few percentage points out of the system. This isn't a competition platform in a series where 2 - 3 hp will make the difference between a win or a loss. It's just modding a street vehicle for a little more than what the factory gave us.
Old 01-22-07, 12:53 PM
GNN60GT500
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just so you guys know, Magnaflow makes that same muffler with the better center X design-

All Magnaflow dual in/ dual out mufflers use that design in fact- except with out the reduction-
Old 01-22-07, 01:05 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Are there any pages on Magnaflow's site showing the insides of one of these? I didn't notice the "Tru-X Perforated Core" until you mentioned it.
Old 01-22-07, 03:36 PM
GNN60GT500
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is nothing online- Ill see if I can get something to show you guys-
Old 01-22-07, 04:14 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I would like to see whatever you find. Thanks!

BTW, I just looked into my stock muffler with a flashlight, and it seems to be very similar to the mufflers on my S2000. It is a triple-pass perforated pipe design (not baffled), which tends to be very good. People always complained about how tiny the gains were on their S2000s when they went with "straight through" exhausts. I hope I'm wrong, but I imagine there won't be much gain from replacing them...
Old 01-22-07, 04:21 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Here's how they work. Not straight through, and definitely chambered:
Attached Thumbnails Custom exhaust design based on other after-market products.-muffler-details.jpg  
Old 01-22-07, 04:35 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Wow, that's good to know! The S2000 was just a big S pipe that actually went all the way through the muffler into an external pipe that rerouted it back into the muffler again. Thanks!
Old 01-22-07, 07:55 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Sounds like picking fly shyte out of pepper. The pulses will never arrive at the same time, so collisions are unlikely at best. I won't argue the Burns pieces being the ideal solution (no doubt they are), but only for getting the last few percentage points out of the system. This isn't a competition platform in a series where 2 - 3 hp will make the difference between a win or a loss. It's just modding a street vehicle for a little more than what the factory gave us.
A point that I couldn't quite figure out a way to get across in my previous post (hence why its not included), is that the pulses are not infinitesimally "thin," so even if two peaks don't run into each other, there's still a strong possibility of the tail end of one sine wave and the head of another running into each other at an angle.

But again, none of this is based on fact I've run into somewhere, its purely my speculation based on the knowledge I do have. Absent real world testing, that's what most engineers rely on .
Old 01-23-07, 02:03 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

True enough, but the point of the exercise is exactly what you describe - setting the pulses up in a way that promotes the high energy leading edge moving down the pipe, and having a low energy region in front of the high energy region is just what the doctor ordered. Because they're approaching at an angle means we'll have some vector arithmetic instead of a pure pulling effect (and it is an effect because it is impossible to pull air anywhere), but we're also pretty certain that even at an angle, it beats letting the pipes dump straight to atmosphere. Anybody's X is better than that.
Old 01-25-07, 10:16 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

My HKS exhaust is "Out for delivery" right now according to UPS, so I expect it any time today. I just removed my stock exhaust, and weighed it. It weighed 39.5 lbs on my scale, which is a little disappointing. I was hoping it would weigh more, since the HKS is expected to be near 40 lbs too.

I also took a couple pictures of the inside of the stock resonator. It is a totally straight through unit with a smooth perforated inner pipe. You can even see the y-pipe on the other end. I wish I could have gotten a better picture, but my camera's flash didn't seem to light it up well.
Attached Thumbnails Custom exhaust design based on other after-market products.-picture-171.jpg  
Old 01-25-07, 10:16 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Here's another shot of the resonator.
Attached Thumbnails Custom exhaust design based on other after-market products.-picture-172.jpg  

Quick Reply: Custom exhaust design based on other after-market products.