Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Check engine Light came on

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-01, 03:30 PM
BMJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Check engine Light came on

Hello all!!
The check engine light came on. I have a '96 GS 300
Milage just turned over to 45900. Any way to get a trouble code out of the ck engine light. Car is running fine according to the wife and running as normal.
Thanks for any help
Bryan
Old 11-05-01, 09:17 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

take it to the dealer i guess. They won't charge anything to diagnose the problem.
Old 11-06-01, 07:10 AM
BMJ
Driver School Candidate

Default Trouble light

Ok will ck with the dealer if indeed they will "gratis".
I bought the car used. I found the way to get the code out of the computer by running a google search.
I'm just very leary of dealers, well at least dealers in this town.
This last summer, the wife had a timing belt go on a honda prelude we have. Two week prior to this break, I changed the oil and ck'd the cv boots and other under carriage. So we had it towed to a honda dealer. Had the belt changed and about two weeks later found grease on the garage floor, looked up under neath with front wheels off. Both cv boots had a punture the size of a two bb's together. Now way in hade's that is going to happen at the same time, not the way I take care of my cars.
So no more dealers if possible for me honda, toyota, Lexus ect!!
If I can do the repair myself I will, for no matter how "nice" they are at the dealer, no one is going to treat your car as well as you will.
I'll keep posted with my results.
Thanks for the reply
BMJ
Old 11-06-01, 07:22 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Possible Problem

Bryan - I agree that no one will care for your car like yourself!! Here's a a recurring situation that my wife has with her GS4. If the light came on shortly after getting gas, then there's a good chance that the gas cap's not tight - the GS has a pressurized fuel system & if the pressure's not kept within the parameters of the ECU diagnostics, the "Check Engine" light comes on. I've been fortunate enough to be able to tighten the cap & pull the ECU fuse to dump the memory then things R OK. Good thing because I live 125 miles from the closest Lexus dealership! Not familiar with the '96 GS fuel system though but it's a thought.
Old 04-15-02, 04:50 PM
BMJ
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks:)

A little late but thanks Gene. Light came on again after the wife filled it up, will ck the cap!
Old 04-15-02, 06:14 PM
shftup
Intermediate

that happened to my gs4, it turned out 2 b the o2 senor, this was covered under warranty, so it could be that, my roughly had the same milage as yours when it happened.
Old 04-17-02, 07:38 PM
HungLe
Driver School Candidate

Hello Bryan,

I also have a '96 GS300 with 65K, and the ck engine light came on last week. Engine seems to run fine. It looks to me like this model does not allow you to pull the code from the DLC2 connector( located under the left side of instrument pannel). This connector does not have E1& Te1 wires. Did you fix the problem? How did you get the code?

Thank you in advance for the help!

HL