Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

For those who have switched exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-07 | 08:36 AM
golfproatl
Pole Position

Default For those who have switched exhaust...

I have a couple of questions..probably dumb questions but I don't know and need to

1. I believe that I am going with the Tanabe. If/when I order the system and have it shipped to my house, will I be able to transport the thing in my IS to the shop for the install? I believe that the system comes in two pieces so I would imagine that I could fit it in somehow

2. What did you do with your stock system? If you held on to it, how did you get it home? I believe that the stock unit is one piece. Seems like that might not fit in the trunk.

I can't really see any point in keeping the stock unit but it also seems weird to toss a brand new stock unit.

I know that the Tanabe install is pretty easy and I may end up doing it myself. I just want to have all my bases covered.

And yes, I know I can have the system drop shipped to a shop but I still need to know about getting the stock one home
Old 01-16-07 | 08:43 AM
cvex
Driver

Put it on yourself. If you can turn a wrench then its pretty much straight forward as the system is just bolt on. Especially on a new car, the bolts arent rusted which will be a pita.
Old 01-16-07 | 08:44 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

1. you probably don't wanna be transporting the exhaust in your car. have a friend with a truck/van drive with you.

2. my stock was left at the dealer, and picked up later with a minivan. again, you don't want putting an exhaust in your IS. it's bigger than you think.

i bought mine at my dealer (they sell aftermarket parts) and its not bad to keep your old one (mine is sitting in the side yard) in case something happens to the new one. it'll probably be hard to get rid of it... you could try posting in the classifieds.
Old 01-16-07 | 09:25 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

I don't mean to de-rail your thread, but it's a somewhat similar question: will Tein CS coilovers fit in my car to take to the shop? Or will I need to take them out of their box to transport them?
Old 01-16-07 | 09:45 AM
AZ IS350
Pole Position

1. Tanabe is 2-piece and you should be able to transport it in your car easy enough. Due to the length of one piece, you will probably have to angle it in from the rear left to the right front seat.

2. You'll have a helluva time fitting the one piece stock exhaust inside the IS, if it will go at all. You run the risk of tearing/scuffing your interior and the exhaust off the car will be dirty too.

I had the shop I bought it from install my Tanabe exhaust. I watched them do it and agree it's so easy a caveman could do it, but access could be a problem if you can't jack or lift the car up enough to get underneath with enough room for yourself to maneuver. On a lift, it's 15 minute job tops. Ask your shop for a deal since its so easy. Mine charged me $40 for the install.

I took my stock exhaust home in my truck and hung it up out of the way in my garage. I doubt I would go back to stock but I have it just in case and it may have some nominal value. If you don't have the room it's probably not worth keeping.
Old 01-16-07 | 09:51 AM
IS350FL
Driver School Candidate

1. Yes, the Tanabe will fit in your car. I picked up mine from the UPS hub. I had to take it out of the box to make it fit.

2. I kept the stock system in the garage. No, you will not get it in your car it is one piece

I installed it myself. It took 45 min. anyone can do it.

It sounded good from the day I put it on. It was a little loud for me but after 800 mi. it was like a light switch and got quieter, it sounds perfect.
Old 01-16-07 | 10:13 AM
golfproatl
Pole Position

Thanks for your input.

I figured the Tanabe in two pieces would fit but it is nice to have confirmation.

My shoulder is kinda messed up (rotator cuff) and working in an awkward space might not be so smart. $50-$75 bucks to have someone slap it on is beans anyway. It is more gratifying to DIY but whatever...

Thanks again! This site kicks
Old 01-16-07 | 10:14 AM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

1: taken out of the box it fit in my trunk fine

2: wife followed me to my friends house with her SUV and took the oe exhaust home. he had a lift and we did it in less than 20 min. anyone want my oe exhaust?
Old 01-16-07 | 10:29 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

i would say keep you OEM exhuast. I changed my exhuast on my old car and threw out part of the exhuast (silencer). Anyways when it was time to sell the car i put it back to stock, but got a replacement for the silencer. I could have gotten a great offer but the buyer had her mechanic look at it and he said dont buy the car cuz its exhuast has been modified. the car was sold but less then what i could have got for it, all for not keeping my stock exhaust system.
Old 01-16-07 | 12:06 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

i was able to fit the oem exhaust in my backseat after 2 tries. dunno how it fit but it did. i reused the plastic wrap and the cardboard tubes from the tanabe and put it on the oem exhaust so it wouldn't mess up my interior.
Old 01-16-07 | 12:18 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Great choice in exhaust. I just got mine installed a month ago and enjoy it everyday. Me and my friend installed it, in all it took us about 45 minutes after letting the stock exhaust cool down before you unbolt the entire thing. Make sure you have a jack and two jack stands for this if your going to do it at home. Good luck!
Old 01-16-07 | 05:20 PM
r1lee
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
I don't mean to de-rail your thread, but it's a somewhat similar question: will Tein CS coilovers fit in my car to take to the shop? Or will I need to take them out of their box to transport them?
Plenty of room for the Teins.