Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: WHICH INTAKE DO YOU HAVE?
LMS
5.76%
K&N
12.71%
FUJITA
13.91%
INJEN
8.39%
JOEZ
18.94%
Don't have an aftermarket intake, but I'll vote!
40.29%
Voters: 417. You may not vote on this poll

Which Intake Do You Have & Are You Happy w/ It?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-07, 10:21 AM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nope no dynos or track.. i got my car as a present before college.. I plan on goin to a strip when i get a chance.. but Javy used his on a dyno and saw gains. and Jeremy.. the guy who just got on the top 10 1/4mile times for drag times uses a K&N intake
Old 11-14-07, 10:35 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextasy89
the guy who just got on the top 10 1/4mile times for drag times uses a K&N intake
That really isn't saying much. Three of the top four cars were using the stock air box with JoeZ pipe.
Old 11-14-07, 01:14 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

ok your right Joez is the GOD of intakes..
either way.. if you like the K&N.. buy it you will gain power over stock. especially in cold weather
Old 11-14-07, 01:46 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lextasy89
ok your right Joez is the GOD of intakes..
either way.. if you like the K&N.. buy it you will gain power over stock. especially in cold weather
The JoeZ pipe is not an intake at all. It is just a minor optimization of the stock intake, which many people believe is the best intake available. There is no evidence to support that any of the short rams with or without heat shields provide any legitimate gains in real world operation, and could just as likely reduce power. Regarding cold weather ... every car has more power in cold weather regardless of the intake it has.
Old 11-15-07, 08:56 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
Regarding cold weather ... every car has more power in cold weather regardless of the intake it has.
You can't really say this about intakes. You pick one intake you like and generalize all the others. Intakes all perform differant. The JoeZ does great; but this doesn't mean that the others on the market don't. Their is no way to judge who's is better. 1/4 mile would be the closest way. But then their are so many variables there to. I'd say YES, that all intakes do better in cold weather,but who does best. I think an open filter media will flow better than the stock air-box. So I'd say that an open media would flow better when it's cold out too.
Old 11-15-07, 09:04 AM
thisisj0
Driver

actuaally there is enough evidence out there to generalize all the other intake systems out there Take the lms for example it showed a loss of power. Fujita injen and the rest have been proven to not give you any real gains its all sound. The joez is a modification to an already excellent cold air intake system. The rest r just foe show. Both dyno sheet(legitimate ones) and drag times have proven this already

Last edited by thisisj0; 11-15-07 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-15-07, 09:04 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

An intake for the IS350 will only yield power if the stock intake is restrictive and it's not. There is no power to be gained through the intake on this car, but there is power to be lost. The benefit to the JoeZ pipe is that it smooths the airflow, which coincidently bumps power slightly. Even the new F-Sport intake utilizes a smooth intake tube, but retains that sealed air box and flat panel filter. The stock air box and filter even with that secondary emissions filter supplies more than enough air for the engine at or near the stock hp levels.
Old 11-15-07, 09:11 AM
thisisj0
Driver

caymandiver got it right on the dot. Btw first post on iPhone yeahhhhhhhhh boiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!
Old 11-15-07, 09:51 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I didn't say that the JoeZ wasn't the best! I'm not saying it is! I really shouldn't pick on Gernby about his comment with the replies here now. Their is no proof that intakes lose power. Don't give me( "dyno #, 1/4 mile times,& etc..) These prove nothing. What would is CFM through every intake in controlled conditions. KEEP the Flames coming( I'm bored at work)
Old 11-15-07, 11:06 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

CFM wouldn't prove anything either, by itself.

You'd also need to consider the temp (and thus density) of the air each intake brings into the engine too.

The smoothness of the intake path might matter too.

And the fact that there's a max CFM the engine can make any use of.

Hooking up some sort of IAT sensor to all the aftermarket intakes might be interesting though, if you tested em in real world use. (unless that can be read from the stock sensor data, Gernby might know that)
Old 11-15-07, 11:19 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jeremy
You can't really say this about intakes. You pick one intake you like and generalize all the others. Intakes all perform differant. The JoeZ does great; but this doesn't mean that the others on the market don't. Their is no way to judge who's is better. 1/4 mile would be the closest way. But then their are so many variables there to. I'd say YES, that all intakes do better in cold weather,but who does best. I think an open filter media will flow better than the stock air-box. So I'd say that an open media would flow better when it's cold out too.
I may have misunderstood you, or you me, but I can't think of any way to design an intake that would somehow NOT perform better in the cold with all other climate conditions equal.
Old 11-15-07, 11:27 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

IAT is available via OBDII.
Old 11-15-07, 11:37 AM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default afe?

Originally Posted by thisisj0
actuaally there is enough evidence out there to generalize all the other intake systems out there Take the lms for example it showed a loss of power. Fujita injen and the rest have been proven to not give you any real gains its all sound. The joez is a modification to an already excellent cold air intake system. The rest r just foe show. Both dyno sheet(legitimate ones) and drag times have proven this already
what about the afe.. its almost sealed off from the engine and the tube is ceramic so it generates less heat?? plus i also know they make really good product..

Last edited by i3urton; 11-15-07 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-15-07, 12:05 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
IAT is available via OBDII.

There we are then.

Run each intake in the same weather with the same amount of engine heatsoak, and measure IATs.

You can measure CFM of the intakes too if you have the hardware, but I suspect -all- of them will flow more air than the engine is capable of using, since the stock box supposedly does so. (If that's not actually true it'd be good to know though)

I suspect the intake that has the lowest IAT will perform best in real world use. I also suspect that's gonna be the stock box with a JoeZ pipe.

Actually, easier than putting intakes on a bench for CFM measurements... can't OBD-2 tell us GPS of air going through the MAF? (only useful if you do NOT find that all intakes produce numbers higher than what the engine can use)
Old 11-15-07, 12:11 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Thank you for all the votes & kind words... even the religious ones..

Originally Posted by i3urton
what about the afe.. its almost sealed off from the engine and the tube is ceramic so it generates less heat?? plus i also know they make really good product..
Ceramic??
More like the tube is constructed of textured cross-linked molded plastic..

Yes - "they make really good product"....

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 11-15-07 at 12:20 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Which Intake Do You Have & Are You Happy w/ It?