Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Review of HKS exhaust (not Lexus) and TOM'S airfilter

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-07, 02:19 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
According to Carson Toyota (who is selling the HKS), HKS only reported 3-5 rwhp on their own tests. I would be pretty surprised if HKS would under-rate their own product. The highest gains I've seen reported for the Tanabe are about 5 rwhp. IMHO, the gains have been relatively insignificant when compared to typical dyno testing errors. Hopefully, the HKS exhaust combined with removing the secondary cats will bump the gains to 10 rwhp. :FingersCrossed:
I highly doubt the Secondary cats are the issue.

However, please take them off, and tell us what happens
Old 01-24-07, 02:25 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by t0e
I highly doubt the Secondary cats are the issue.

However, please take them off, and tell us what happens
I wouldn't say the secondary cats are "the issue" either, but there's no doubt that they add some restriction. I've already removed them, but I'm waiting for the exhaust to go to the dyno.
Old 01-24-07, 02:45 PM
iceman1117
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CAIFAN_64
wow........ with this review Im glad I went for the tanabe
I 2nd that...lol
Old 01-24-07, 03:10 PM
07Txlex
Pole Position

some one please post a sound clip or video damn
Old 01-24-07, 08:47 PM
Dalotel
Driver School Candidate

I went ahead and ordered a pair of inner silencers for the HKS exhaust.
The part number is 3306-RA076 and as Gernby mentioned when installed the average attenuation is 7dB.
I'll try to post a before and after comparison.
Old 01-24-07, 09:03 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dalotel
I went ahead and ordered a pair of inner silencers for the HKS exhaust.
The part number is 3306-RA076 and as Gernby mentioned when installed the average attenuation is 7dB.
I'll try to post a before and after comparison.
Did you find a decent price for them? The best I could find was $32 each, which seems REALLY overpriced for what they are.
Old 01-24-07, 10:28 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the honest review and write-up. I'm sure you've helped lots of IS owners who were considering this exhaust from making a costly mistake...

Javier
Old 01-25-07, 01:53 AM
mctuners
Lead Lap

Do you guys think that it would still be annoyingly loud for IS250?
Old 01-25-07, 06:23 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mctuners
Do you guys think that it would still be annoyingly loud for IS250?
Hmmmm, I'll see if I can post up a sound clip of the Lexus HKS later today, but in no way do I find it annoying. Matter of fact I really like it. It is louder than stock during start up more like a long vroom, burble then quiet. You can hear it under acceleration with load, but not during cruise 100Km/h to 120Km/h. Under WOT it is a completely different sound,...edgy, hard, more open exhaust.

See this thread for hp gains > 10hp!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=260944
Old 01-25-07, 06:29 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by clubfoot
Hmmmm, I'll see if I can post up a sound clip of the Lexus HKS later today, but in no way do I find it annoying. Matter of fact I really like it. It is louder than stock during start up more like a long vroom, burble then quiet. You can hear it under acceleration with load, but not during cruise 100Km/h to 120Km/h. Under WOT it is a completely different sound,...edgy, hard, more open exhaust.

See this thread for hp gains > 10hp!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=260944
There are already plenty of sound clips of the Lexus HKS exhaust. This thread is about the non-Lexus HKS exhaust.

EDIT: The thread you linked with the dyno result is also about the non-Lexus HKS exhaust.
Old 01-25-07, 06:28 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Here is my HKS Hi-Power exhaust video. My video camera didn't do a good job capturing the droning / resonance that comes when at moderate throttle, so you'll need to drive one to see what I'm talking about. Hopefully, this can be reduced by going with the OEM mid-pipe / y-pipe hangers intead of the really stiff HKS hangers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIV3JEtC34U
Old 02-02-07, 03:01 PM
cali_guy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gernby
Here is my HKS Hi-Power exhaust video. My video camera didn't do a good job capturing the droning / resonance that comes when at moderate throttle, so you'll need to drive one to see what I'm talking about. Hopefully, this can be reduced by going with the OEM mid-pipe / y-pipe hangers intead of the really stiff HKS hangers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIV3JEtC34U
Installed my exhaust yesterday and the service tech left my original mount on. He said that the exhaust will flex's as you drive and the HKS one seemed too stiff so he recommended I leave my stock one on. I dont have any issues with vibration coming through my car. I hope this helps.
Old 02-02-07, 04:15 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cali_guy
Installed my exhaust yesterday and the service tech left my original mount on. He said that the exhaust will flex's as you drive and the HKS one seemed too stiff so he recommended I leave my stock one on. I dont have any issues with vibration coming through my car. I hope this helps.
I'm still considering putting the OEM hangers back on, but the exhaust isn't vibrating my floor anymore since it has broken in. The only reason I can think of for NOT using the OEM hangers is that the large HKS tips might contact the bumper cutouts at times. I've seen some S2000 exhausts with similar tips that actually melt the bumper covers. That is the only reason I can think of for why HKS included the stiffer hangers in the first place.

BTW, would you please take a picture from the rear? I would like to see how much the OEM hangers raise the position of the tips.
Old 02-07-07, 02:58 AM
trinityhk
Lead Lap

Gernby and all other HKS exhaust owners:

How is the fitment? dalotel you said you didnt like the exhaust, but how do you like it gernby? too loud? what about you cali_guy?
Old 02-07-07, 06:53 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I like the exhaust okay, and I think the fitment is fine. However, I wish HKS had implemented a Helmholtz filter to decrease droning in the middle of the RPM range.

Quick Reply: Review of HKS exhaust (not Lexus) and TOM'S airfilter