Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-07, 12:41 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3
Do any aftermarket turbo or sc companies offer a warranty that works in companion with Lexus?
not as of now, and unfortunately, i doubt anyone will.

and javy, thanks for the link. that's all i wanted to know.
Old 01-30-07, 02:19 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,007 Likes on 2,428 Posts

Originally Posted by IS2Fizzle
Seriously, the compression is what is holding back a turbo upgrade. If JE or crower came out with a de-stroker kit, then it would be easier.
No, destroking won't make anything better. Only deeper dish pistons will make life better with this engine. The problem with that is the piston tops are a patented proprietary design to support GDI and their stratified charge effect, so changing the shape of the piston dome may lead to more problems than it solves.

Destroking and thicker head gaskets will only take away the (tapered) squish that is so essential to the engine running properly. This will not be a simple problem to solve correctly. Sure there will be hacks who don't care, but the engine's basic (clearly superior) efficiency and clean emissions will be absent in the hacked modified versions.

Originally Posted by SAE Tech Briefs - January 2006
...First the port injector injects fuel during the expansion and intake strokes before the intake valves open. Homogeneous charge is introduced into the combustion chamber when the intake valves open. During the latter part of the compression stroke, the direct-injector spurts fuel into the cavity in the piston crown, forming “weak lean stratified charge”; in the combustion chamber, the air/fuel ratio is in the 15-to-one range. The centrally positioned spark plug ignites the richer mixture during the expansion stroke. This combustion process retards ignition timing without adverse effects in the engine’s running, enabling higher exhaust temperature to quickly light off the catalyst.
The piston cavity’s sole purpose is for this weak stratified-charge operation, and it need not be a deep one—only 5.0-mm in depth. The oval cavity is a Toyota/Abe patent, its shape and position in relation to the spark plug optimized so that all the mixtures in the cavity reflect and travel to the spark in equal distance. The D-4Sequipped 2GR-FSE qualifies for the PA ULEV II emission category, versus the D-4 3GR-FSE’s ULEV I classification...
Old 01-30-07, 07:59 AM
Optimus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by demik
sucks worst for the 250 guys with 12:1 compression..
at least you 350 guys got something.
i would pay good money to get mine forced inducted
I was thinking it was the other way around, doesn't the IS250 have normal injectors where the 350s have the diect injection. I don't know any engine managements configured for that yet.
Old 01-30-07, 08:01 AM
Optimus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No, destroking won't make anything better. Only deeper dish pistons will make life better with this engine. The problem with that is the piston tops are a patented proprietary design to support GDI and their stratified charge effect, so changing the shape of the piston dome may lead to more problems than it solves.

Destroking and thicker head gaskets will only take away the (tapered) squish that is so essential to the engine running properly. This will not be a simple problem to solve correctly. Sure there will be hacks who don't care, but the engine's basic (clearly superior) efficiency and clean emissions will be absent in the hacked modified versions.
I posted before I read your thread and was thinking the same thing. COmpression is the easy part, Direct Injection isn't. If you wanted to turbo an IS, it should have probably been a 250.
Old 01-30-07, 10:45 AM
kryolla
Rookie

I wouldnt mind a SC but how would impact be on a AWD tranny?
Old 01-30-07, 11:03 AM
GNN60GT500
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As of now, I have ZERO trust for any king of forced induction on these motors taking into consideration the direct injection and the high compression-

If you want to make a drag car, may I suggest a different car?

Our cars are quick but with out major $$$$$$$$ we will probably see some 12 second runs but that is about it-

Personally if Im going to rip apart a car to make a drag car, I would have never bought an IS250 or IS350-

Motor Swap?

Why not just buy an EVO or STI or Stang or something and swap in the LExus interior- it would probably be easier...LOL

Of course as my wife always reminds me- Im not always right- LOL
Old 01-30-07, 11:31 AM
IS2Fizzle
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Volkswagen/Audi Audi boys have turbo FSI engines. Can't a walbro and supra injectors fix this?
Old 01-30-07, 01:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

No, injectors are not the problem. There's no way you'll elminate the GDI and still have anything like the original performance.
Old 01-30-07, 01:40 PM
Hutch27
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Powerhouse Racing told me they are working on a turbo kit. It's hard to imagine there will be a lot of demand though, at 11.8:1 static compression, the engine isn't very boost friendly on pump gas.
I think it will be great for the IS250 though.
Old 01-30-07, 01:49 PM
Hutch27
Driver

Originally Posted by B-DUB
Is ther aney talk of one
Rick at Status said that HKS is working on a Turbo kit for the IS.
Old 01-30-07, 02:25 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hutch27
that's good to hear. any word on when we can expect it.. maybe by the end of the year?
Old 01-30-07, 03:21 PM
Optimus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hutch27
Which IS (250 or 350)?
Old 01-30-07, 03:38 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Click here. This covers why it will not be possible to boost this engine the way the 2JZ has been boosted. There may be turbo kits. They won't make anything llike high boost without lots of bandaids or race gas, or both.
Old 01-30-07, 07:31 PM
B-DUB
Driver School Candidate

I love my lexus and I just want 2 know the power is there. evo or sti not 4 me

Last edited by B-DUB; 01-30-07 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-08-07, 06:17 AM
siren05
Driver School Candidate

I'm pretty sure than the true direct inject engine is the 250 the 350 I believe has dual port and direct injection correct me if I'm wrong

Quick Reply: Turbo