Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SRT (no race ecu)=CHECK ENG LIGHT

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-07, 04:14 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fonzy - From the statements you have made you obviously have no clue what your doing or how the Maf works.
I'm not being a jerk just hear me out here and hopefully you will have a better idea of what people are trying to tell you.

Internal diam. of the K&N is listed to be 72mm = 2.83" Say 2.75" rounded. The Srt intake is a 3.5" pipe, figure 3.25" ID just as a round about figure. That is a 15% gain in diameter, over the K&N which is already larger than stock and probably not the ideal situation for the stock Maf as it is.

By going even bigger on the pipe with the Srt, the Maf is seeing even less air than the K&N. At this point the ecu is going crazy trying to figure out what is going on as hardly any air is being registered at the maf as compared to what is being brought in. Hence a CHECK ENGINE LIGHT and your car running like crap. I would go as far as to say your ecu probably went into limp mode and started dumping fuel to try and compensate for the extreme lean conditon you caused by running such a large intake pipe without compensation for the Maf signal.

You should be glad you don't have a turbo/supercharged car as your actions would have just BLOWN your motor and you would be a lot worse off than a check engine light.

I understand it's fun to play with your car and try different things but sometimes it's not a good idea to go screwing around with things as important as fuel delivery. Especially in a car that is HIGHLY sensitive to airflow/fuel changes when you don't know what you are doing and are unfamiliar with the way the system works.

If you want to play around with pipe diameters etc.. for your intake you need to go pick up an Safc or other tuning device so that you can alter the maf signals accordingly and you don't do further damage to your engine. You will also be able to tune for the most power this way and may actually see some gains out of what your trying to do instead of just causing yourself more problems.

Last edited by macd7919; 01-30-07 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-30-07, 04:34 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i understand what you are saying and you are right about more air going into engine than what the maf is reading. i am just doing simple short test to see if i can get the maf to read the new air flow correctly (ODBII & wideband). i was planning on a Safc, but i have to wait untill i do my smog check.
thanks for the input
Old 01-30-07, 05:37 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Fact is the maf is calibrated for the amount of air the stock intake pipe flows and to work off the appropriate fuel tables for that flow. ANY change to the airflow is going to alter the amount of fuel flow.

There is no reason to test this as it is fact and there is nothing you can do about it without a fuel tuning device. In the process of "trying" to make it work you are running the risk or have already damaged your car due to a lean condition.

The only reason the K&N works is because it is only slightly larger than stock. Therefore the car runs a little bit leaner, this will make a little more power than stock but not much and you are just using a small increase as a band aid to making more power.

If you want largly increased flow the Srt will provide that but you must use the ecu to get your maf readings back to where they should be.
Old 01-30-07, 05:41 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

i thought only map sensors where set and maf actually read and adjusted according to air flow. runnig a little lean for a short period of time can't cause any serious damage. look at people running dry shot.
after a lot of abuse offcourse they give, just like anything else. just a few minutes to get the OBDII to read the maf will blow my engine?

Last edited by GS FONZy; 01-30-07 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-30-07, 06:58 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Map is pressure/vacuum based hence Manifold Absolute Pressure. Maf is reading flow (density). Maf does adjust according to flow but it is adjusting from a preset fuel table. It is not infinitly adjustable or else there would be no reason for people to use Safc/Vpc/ etc etc...

Running your engine lean for a second isn't going to hurt it but the reason you had the check engine light is because something was drastically wrong with the conflicting readings your ecu was getting.

Just a few minutes to get readings probably isn't going to hurt anything but you already said you drove around for 50 miles with the intake installed contrary to what the manufacturer specifically said NOT to do.

I don't see where you are going with this as everyone has expressed to you the fact there is no way to trick the Maf/Ecu and get proper performance without using a fuel tuning device. What exactly are you trying to do here? Maybe if you tell me exactly where you are trying to go with all this i could help you a little better.
Old 01-30-07, 07:05 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Tried running the ECU with the Injen intake which I highly prefer over the SRT unit. Did not run well at all. The unit is calibrated for the huge diameter of the SRT piping.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=injen
Old 01-31-07, 05:34 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Macd7919, why do you feel the need to keep posting the same thing over and over again? Look, I am just trying to get some reading of the difference between the two, heck; now I might even put stock and get reading from there two. I already told you, I get what you are saying; I guess you’re stuck on repeat. You keep saying you don’t want to be an A$$, but yet you are doing an excellent job at it. You also keep stating that my car is no longer in working condition, yet the car is running fine and the ODBII scanner is not reading any problems. Maybe you are a psychic/A$$. Look if it will make you sleep better at night, I will not do anymore to my car. I will leave as is, since the engine is bad already right!
If you really are a psychic can you see which finger I am holding up?