Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SRT (no race ecu)=CHECK ENG LIGHT

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-07, 06:05 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default SRT (no race ecu)=CHECK ENG LIGHT

yesterday i removed k&n kit and i installed my srt kit, just piping and filter. after i installed srt, i test drove the car and it ran fine. it felt a little slower for some reason, but i thought since i have the trunk full of junk and a full tank, that maybe the reason why my car felt slower. this morning i drove to work and everything seemed fine. after work i was on my way home and my engine light came on, car still drove ok. i went to my pops shop, hooked up the code scanner and i got PO171 engine bank #1 too lean. so i removed my maf, cleaned it, reset ecu and test drove. cars was runnig bad, bogging out and check light came back on. the car smelled like it was runnig rich and i killed 1/4 of a tank in about 50 miles from yesturday to today. i put the k&n kit back on, reset codes and car now runs with no prblems and feels faster.

Last edited by GS FONZy; 01-29-07 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-29-07, 06:44 PM
tommyGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the SRT is a bigger pipe, it's useless without the race ecu
Old 01-29-07, 07:05 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would you put SRT intake on, without Piggyback ECU? Thats what i wonder

unless, it is just a warning.......
Old 01-29-07, 07:32 PM
ksu1998
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

... I did that to see how loud the intake was going to be. I would not drive it more than 1 mile without the ECU>
Old 01-29-07, 07:37 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

You need the SRT ecu chip to comphensate for the bigger intake piping.
Old 01-29-07, 09:55 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Sell me the intake you don't use
Old 01-29-07, 10:32 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might be running too lean.. install the SRT CHIP asap or remove the intake.

The bigger pipe is messing up the MAF calculations.

**EDIT.. ooops, didnt read the whole thing.. Noticed that you already installed your k&N back on.
Old 01-30-07, 12:32 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you read the instructions it says in BIG BOLD LETTERS - DO NOT INSTALL INTAKE WITHOUT ECU!!! I guess that *just maybe* that could be the reason for the car running bad . I'm not trying to be an ***, but seriously, come on. What did you honestly expect to happen, no crap your car feels faster when you put the k&n back on. You drastically changed the amount of air that was going into the motor when you installed the Srt intake but then proceeded to half *** the installation and didn't bother to put the most important part in, THE ECU. Even though it is REPEATEDLY stated to not even start the car without the ecu installed as ENGINE DAMAGE MAY OCCUR. Again, I hate to be an *** but I can't stand when people post this kind of nonsense.

Last edited by macd7919; 01-30-07 at 02:01 AM.
Old 01-30-07, 11:11 AM
sbgs400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

what he said
Old 01-30-07, 11:25 AM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I called SRT and talked to one of their guys and they told me that i must use the ECU with the SRT air intake, and that i could not use the ECU with a different air intake. I don't understand why you can not just use the air intake but, hey whatever since it comes with the ECU than why not use it. haha
Old 01-30-07, 11:53 AM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used the original ECU with a Tom's drop in filter on the stock intake, and it worked much better than the SRT intake+ECU. This is the original ECU not the "Race" version. My quarter mile times were 0.1 seconds faster consistently with the Tom's/SRT ECU combo than with the SRT/SRT combo.

I also installed the race ECU and didn't get much gains. I actually lost 0.2 seconds consistently compared with the Tom's/SRT (original) ECU setup. I did not install the race ECU with the Tom's setup as I ended up goint to a TT setup.

So that being said, you can at least run the original SRT ECU with another intake system and it should be fine.
Old 01-30-07, 12:00 PM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its simple. The car ECU uses the Mass Air Meter signal and runs off of a calculated percent. If you increase the pipe size it decreases the percentage of air passing through the meter compared to the amount of air passing through the pipe. The car ECU does not know this, and continues to run based off a now incorrect value. The SRT ECU compensates for the increased pipe size by adjusting the signal between the meter & the car ECU. Lay a dime on top of a quarter, then lay a dime on top of a silver dollar. The dime is the meter the quarter is the pipe. Thats a visual of what the ECU reads. You must keep the ratio the same for the meter to work correctly with the car ECU. So when you increase the pipe from a quarter to a silver dollar the SRT ECU kind of turns the dime into a quarter. I hope I didnt make it more confusing.
Old 01-30-07, 03:41 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

the k&n kit is not that much smaller than srt, dime to quater to silver dollar, come on. if you compare stock to k&n, it's still bigger than stock. i bought the pipping from a memeber for cheap, so thought i would play with it and make a real cold air intake all the way down by the fog lamp. i did not want to do that with ugly plastic k&n. i am going to keep working on this project and post back what i did to make it work, i hope.
Old 01-30-07, 03:49 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=260228&page=2
Old 01-30-07, 04:13 PM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was explaining to ReLexin why you cant just throw on a pipe and call it a day. I have done my fair share or "making things work". But yes, to make it work "ideal" or "correctly" you have to make an adjustment to compensate. Its the same way they have meters cal'ed to match injectors for mustangs. Just throw in bigger injectors with a matching MAF and youre good. The same goes for pipe size. You always have to compensate for what the computer is expecting to see. Yes, I do see that the K&N does look close to the same size as the SRT. I would think they should work similarly. Good luck with it. I want to make my own intake as well. But Im not sure how the MAF will react. Trust me I will stay tuned.

Quick Reply: SRT (no race ecu)=CHECK ENG LIGHT