Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Torque Converter vs Limited-Slip 3.76 Rear End

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-01 | 08:48 AM
Litespeeds
Driver School Candidate

Smile Torque Converter vs Limited-Slip 3.76 Rear End

Hello Fellow GS400 owners,
I would appreciate as much feedback as possible regarding these two upgrades. If you had to spend the money, which would actually give you better performance without sacrificing the luxury aspect of the car?
Would installing an upgraded torque converter cause the shifting between gears feel kind of jerky or will it maintain the smooth feeling as stock? After installing the TC, what is the biggest noticable improvement? Does it eliminate the hesitation when you jump on it from a dead stop?
Thanks for all your comments.
Old 11-09-01 | 09:33 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Wink

Hey Dexter you want to handle that one?!?
Old 11-09-01 | 03:55 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Torque Converter vs Limited-Slip 3.76 Rear End

Originally posted by Litespeeds
If you had to spend the money, which would actually give you better performance without sacrificing the luxury aspect of the car?
Would installing an upgraded torque converter cause the shifting between gears feel kind of jerky or will it maintain the smooth feeling as stock? After installing the TC, what is the biggest noticable improvement? Does it eliminate the hesitation when you jump on it from a dead stop?
Thanks for all your comments.
First - taller gears willget you to your rev limiter fastr than you can sat rev limiter, and that's not fun 'cause you know what happens then...I think its Mean Gean who has the RMM LSD with 376s....

Second - the shifts are damn near smoother since the stall speeds are higher, so it gliiides just little between shifts; even when you stomp on it, the shifts are still like butter; the great thing is, when you stomp on it, the onlything you feel is your *** sinking into the crease of teh seat and teh sqealing of tires and blue smoke...

The biggest noticable improvement? Cans of whoop-*** all over the place Its been said before, and I'll say it - the TC is probably one of the most bang for your buck upgrades. It doesn't necessarily increase HP, it just utilizes more of the engines output and puts more of it to the ground.

Hesitation? Hesitation takes a dirt nap.

Last edited by ///MDex; 11-09-01 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-09-01 | 07:00 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Lightbulb My .02!

Lite - Dex's right - I have both mods & if I had to choose between the two, I'd opt for the T/C. It yielded a better performance gain & was even cheaper ( although a little more involved to install ). Plus, U can get the LSD for the stock differential from Steve with Carson Toyota ( as a stand alone feature ). I haven't noticed the shifts being any rougher either. As far as hitting the rev limiter, it happens occasionally but I've learned to E-shift at about 5700-5800 rpms & I'm hitting 6k by the time the tranny actually shifts. As a reference ( because I don't know where Mike hid the original Lexus Q&A data from the old website :eek: ), the T/C dropped my quarter mile times by about .3 - .4 while the RMM LSD knocked off an additional .2.
Old 11-10-01 | 05:43 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Default Re: My .02!

Originally posted by Mean Gene
As far as hitting the rev limiter, it happens occasionally but I've learned to E-shift at about 5700-5800 rpms & I'm hitting 6k by the time the tranny actually shifts.
Whoops; for got about that MG, thanks.
Old 01-16-02 | 08:06 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Default Mean Gene!!

Is the LSD for the stock differential from Steve the TRD? I thought TRD was the whole diff.

How much does it run?

Thanks!

Ryan

Also, what is the best price that anyone has found on the RMM diff?
Old 01-16-02 | 09:02 PM
RacingAristo

Someone is selling an used RMM LSD at Classified. Perhaps you can take a look.

I believe the price for TRD LSD from Steve is around $850 + shipping & handling + taxes if you live in CA.

I've had TC for an year and my friends are impressed by this upgrade. You will need a LSD and wider rear tyres later if you want more traction.
Old 01-17-02 | 07:51 AM
JacobT

Dennis,

Did you solve the "check engine" light problem caused by the TC?
What did the dealer say about it?
Old 01-17-02 | 09:21 AM
GSman
Pole Position

Are the shift points ranges increased when your accelerating in auto mode (ie no eshift/gateshift)? If so, what is the rpm range? Also, when in traffic, can you still move smoothly with the higher stall speed?
Old 01-17-02 | 11:56 AM
RacingAristo

Originally posted by JacobT
Dennis,

Did you solve the "check engine" light problem caused by the TC?
What did the dealer say about it?
Jacob,

No, the dealer had kept my car for 3 weeks and still couldn't find the problem. They did give me a full tank of gas though.

The engine check light is still on. Everything seems to be fine @ this moment. mpg is normal, my 0-60 is unchanged, drivetrain is unchanged.
Old 01-19-02 | 02:40 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up Everyday Driving

GS - In everyday driving ( gentle takeoffs ), U'll never know that U have the TC. The wife drives the car everyday & some of her doctor/employers "borrow" it to run errands & no one has complained yet! Of course, I KNOW how those doctors drive!! The shift points don't change at all.
Ryan - I think the LSD itself is the one Steve sells but it's ( as RA says ) a stand alone piece which U install into your factory geared differential. Someone posted that they paid $200 to have the LSD installed.
Old 01-19-02 | 04:44 PM
RacingAristo

My mom hates driving my car. She said the car just shoots out everytime she stepped on the gas pedal.
Old 01-21-02 | 09:39 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Gene, how are you? I probably should have PM'd you but here goes anyway. I know this has been beat to death in previous threads and I believe Ive even asked you myself, but I just got the SupraTT LSD w/376 gears and I have a couple more specific q's.
-When under WOT NOT using e-shift, if my intention is to let the car shift itself, is the car not going to be able to shift when it normally would, causing it to hit the limiter every time I do this???
-Also, is it easy to adapt a driving style that will let me drive around this prob w/out sacrificing performance/reliabilty, or getting a headache worrying about it?
TIA, Tiny
Old 01-21-02 | 04:58 PM
gwu128
Driver

does anyone know what kind of fluid should I use for the RMM LSD? are they the same as the stock that Lexus use?

thanks
Old 01-21-02 | 06:32 PM
GSman
Pole Position

Mean Gene and Racingaristo,

Seems your experiences differ regarding the TC. Do you both have the same TC with the same stall speed?

Quick Reply: Torque Converter vs Limited-Slip 3.76 Rear End