Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

R154 shifter extension mod writeup w/ PICS !

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-07, 06:53 PM
Supraman24
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R154 shifter extension mod writeup w/ PICS !

alright guys, since so many people have asked me to do a writeup for this here goes nothing ....

first of all, here's a link to the Manual for the R154 so you can take it apart
http://www.***********/documents/SubDocs3/14_MT.pdf

Then you will want to start by cutting the housing using a bandsaw, or by some means that it will be a straight line, trust me. if you don't it will take forever to get it even.

so the end result looks like this. Hopefully you have a belt sander so it's nice and even and square.

and when you run it thru the band saw, make sure you hold it like this.

and not like this, otherwise your cut will not be square, trust me, i found out the hard way :P

then you will want to make sure using a straight edge that there are no gaps at all. your weld will be much cleaner and have much better penetration. like dis..
this is where having a belt sander is really handy

then you will want to file down the area I have in Red, that way when you put the housing on the trans it will slide on with ease, otherwise you have to force it on cause the shifter lever is so long and you don't want to be forcing anything.

ok, now for the shift lever. as you can see in the pic here, the housing is tilted back at an angle, its not parallel with the trans or the shaft the shift lever bolts to.

Old 01-30-07, 06:54 PM
Supraman24
Rookie

here's a pic of it mounted on the trans, see how its tilted back and runs parallel with the mount for the housing.

and here's one in a vise, see how much of an angle it has to be at. if you don't get it at the correct angle then you won't be able to fit the housing or the actual shifter on. it has to be perfect to maintain smooth shifts.

before you mount it on the shaft in the trans, give it a little oil so it slides on nice and easy.

and when you have it all done, it should be centered like this.

And when you are ready to weld the back section for the shifter, make sure its tilted forward a bit so its parallel with the trans, ground, shaft, otherwise when you mount the shifter, it will be tilted back too far back cause of the way the housing tilts back. like dis...

Old 01-30-07, 06:55 PM
Supraman24
Rookie

and here's some pics of the finished product for thos of you who were asking abou the quality.

Old 01-31-07, 10:56 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

excellent job... i notice the miller sitting in the background of one of the pics, you lucky bastard. It isnt as hard as people are making it out to be, so people looking to do it, just take your time and follow supraman's advice as he did an excellent job. I may be coming to you to get you to build me one since i think i might need another soon and dont have the ac tig. Enjoy it!
Old 02-21-07, 10:00 AM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good job, but the link in the first post is bad.
Old 02-22-07, 01:58 AM
Supraman24
Rookie

Originally Posted by tavarish
good job, but the link in the first post is bad.
One of the moderators must have ****** it out. Sorry... you'll have to take it up with them.
Old 02-22-07, 08:09 AM
supradean
Driver School Candidate

ok forgive me here with these questions..
1. If i get this mod done by you can i use a SUPRA mkiii swap without any issues? I know it is the same engine all but does the ecu wiring plug and play without issues?
2. Is this the route you took with your swap?

Im basically looking to do the 1jz swap but i want to retain the R154 and not really buy everything seperate.

If you can help on these questions that would be great. Im thinking this is exactly what i need.
THANKS
Old 02-22-07, 11:17 AM
Supraman24
Rookie

This Mod is basically so you can use the MK3 R154 w/ either a 1JZ or 2JZ motor. Hope that helps to clarify, if not, no worries. I don't flame people for asking questions.
Old 02-22-07, 12:50 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraman24
This Mod is basically so you can use the MK3 R154 w/ either a 1JZ or 2JZ motor. Hope that helps to clarify, if not, no worries. I don't flame people for asking questions.
I apologize ahead of time because I know this has been discussed in the past on the forums. It's just hard to get a definitive answer with the different R154 trannies that exist.

I have a 1JZ with a stock W58 and I'm looking for a contingency plan (maybe upgrade before hand) should the W58 explode. The soarer R154 is obviously the best choice and the ability to just drop in makes it the easiest.

Then comes your retro of the MK3 Supra R154. Is the MK3 R154 just a drop in with your mod? Does it require a custom driveshaft to be made or is there a replacement that drops in? I guess the real question is what all needs to be done to install a MK3 R154 with your mod?

Thanks ahead of time and you may be hearing from me soon about the mod.

Steve
Old 02-22-07, 08:19 PM
Supraman24
Rookie

Originally Posted by shern
I apologize ahead of time because I know this has been discussed in the past on the forums. It's just hard to get a definitive answer with the different R154 trannies that exist.

I have a 1JZ with a stock W58 and I'm looking for a contingency plan (maybe upgrade before hand) should the W58 explode. The soarer R154 is obviously the best choice and the ability to just drop in makes it the easiest.

Then comes your retro of the MK3 Supra R154. Is the MK3 R154 just a drop in with your mod? Does it require a custom driveshaft to be made or is there a replacement that drops in? I guess the real question is what all needs to be done to install a MK3 R154 with your mod?

Thanks ahead of time and you may be hearing from me soon about the mod.

Steve
I've been told the Front 1/2 Drive shaft from a MK3 will work but I have not tried this yet myself. Personally I think a custom Drive Shaft would be the better way to go anyway....
other then that, all you need is a 1JZ bellhousing and 1JZ flywheel and MK3 clutch and your good to go. drops right in.
Old 02-22-07, 09:36 PM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

Is this for a 7m R154 or for a 1jz R154 on the MK3. I know its physically the same tranny but I dont know if its the same but pattern. Thanks
Old 02-23-07, 09:59 AM
Deceptik1
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Now only if 1jz r154 bellhousings were abundant then this swap would be cake.
Old 02-23-07, 10:58 AM
Supraman24
Rookie

Originally Posted by Philly#1 Lex
Is this for a 7m R154 or for a 1jz R154 on the MK3. I know its physically the same tranny but I dont know if its the same but pattern. Thanks
This is for the 7M R154 to bolt up to a 1JZ or 2JZ motor using the 1JZ bellhousing. Same bolt pattern on the tranny but the 7M bellhousing won't bolt up to a 1J or 2J, hence, you need the 1JZ bellhousing.
Old 02-23-07, 11:00 AM
Supraman24
Rookie

Originally Posted by Deceptik1
Now only if 1jz r154 bellhousings were abundant then this swap would be cake.
They are, if you want to buy this kit from me I can also procure a 1JZ bellhousing if you need me to.
Old 02-23-07, 11:42 AM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Supraman24
They are, if you want to buy this kit from me I can also procure a 1JZ bellhousing if you need me to.

and how much would this run me?

Quick Reply: R154 shifter extension mod writeup w/ PICS !