Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

For those with KN drop in filter....

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-07, 06:43 PM
sdpq
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those with KN drop in filter....

did you feel any difference in throttle response. i'm not lookin for hp gains, just for better response. how has the drop in filter been so far and did u take out the 2nd filter or not and has that helped or hurt???

thanks in advance
Old 01-31-07, 07:30 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Speaking from experience with this issue you will not notice any hp gains with any drop in filter nor better throttle response. What you will get is a few more dirt particles entering your engine. Just my .02
Old 01-31-07, 10:23 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with caymandive. There isn't any power difference, and their can't be any throttle response difference, so why mess with the headaches of the crappy oiled filter element that doesn't even do as good of a job?
Old 02-01-07, 08:40 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy the Lexus filter. Replace more often....

My .02 also.
Old 02-01-07, 08:43 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tcho82
Buy the Lexus filter. Replace more often....

My .02 also.
Just to add to that, I dyno tested my stock air filter with 10k miles on it and it dyno'd the same as it did when I had 3k miles on it. I'd say just follow the manufactures suggested mileage replacement, unless you drive alot in harsh dusty conditions.

Last edited by caymandive; 02-01-07 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-01-07, 09:26 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

At sea level, it won't do a thing.

However, at altitude, especially where I am at above 7,000 feet one can notice a difference, but there are none of these spectactular power gains or other garbage. Only advantage I can see is if you have a really restrictice OEM filter at my elevation, then the K&N might be an alternative
Old 02-01-07, 09:43 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexmex
At sea level, it won't do a thing.

However, at altitude, especially where I am at above 7,000 feet one can notice a difference, but there are none of these spectactular power gains or other garbage. Only advantage I can see is if you have a really restrictice OEM filter at my elevation, then the K&N might be an alternative
That kind of seems backwards to me. I would expect the filter to be less restrictive at high altitudes, since it's kind of like having a smaller engine.
Old 02-01-07, 09:56 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the K&N drop in and I feel no difference in power or throttle response, but it did make my Joe Z just a tad bit more audible.
Old 02-01-07, 11:03 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Depending on each specific engine and its design/tuning, there could be a slight power gain (if it’s slightly intake restricted) or loss somewhere in the RPM range by increasing air intake flow. No one can tell weather or not there is a gain somewhere unless there has been some testing (real world track testing or on a dyno).

It has been proven that not all air filters that increase air flow necessarily are less efficient. It has also been proven that the fit/design and media of the filter itself also has a big effect on its filtering efficiency. I have seen several analyses showing K&N filters to filter just as good as paper OEM filters, in several applications. Each application needs to have an UOA comparison to show how well it filters before anyone can make any claims. You can not just say that any filter does not filter well just because it performed poorly any one application.

I feel that if the filter does not compromise filtration in has the benefit of lasting the life of the vehicle, and can compliment a cat-back exhaust. Lets see some facts!
Old 02-01-07, 11:16 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Koz
Depending on each specific engine and its design/tuning, there could be a slight power gain (if it’s slightly intake restricted) or loss somewhere in the RPM range by increasing air intake flow. No one can tell weather or not there is a gain somewhere unless there has been some testing (real world track testing or on a dyno).

It has been proven that not all air filters that increase air flow necessarily are less efficient. It has also been proven that the fit/design and media of the filter itself also has a big effect on its filtering efficiency. I have seen several analyses showing K&N filters to filter just as good as paper OEM filters, in several applications. Each application needs to have an UOA comparison to show how well it filters before anyone can make any claims. You can not just say that any filter does not filter well just because it performed poorly any one application.

I feel that if the filter does not compromise filtration in has the benefit of lasting the life of the vehicle, and can compliment a cat-back exhaust. Lets see some facts!
Here's a fact for you. No matter what drop-in filter you put in the IS350 it's not going to make any more power. Unless you do some kind of scientific controlled test, you can rest assured the stock filter is your cleanest bet. Heck we still haven't figured out if removing the secondary carbon filter in the intake box lid frees up any power.
Old 02-01-07, 11:19 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
That kind of seems backwards to me. I would expect the filter to be less restrictive at high altitudes, since it's kind of like having a smaller engine.
If one wants power up here, they might as well use no air filter (which is exactly what I do despite the risks...because I was wasting so much gas with an air filter).

When I in stalled the K&N several years ago, I could tell something was different in terms of the acceleration, but it really wan't enough to write home about.

We have about 25% less oxygen up here...thinner air.
Old 02-01-07, 01:12 PM
Koz

Originally Posted by Lexmex
If one wants power up here, they might as well use no air filter (which is exactly what I do despite the risks...because I was wasting so much gas with an air filter).

When I in stalled the K&N several years ago, I could tell something was different in terms of the acceleration, but it really wan't enough to write home about.

We have about 25% less oxygen up here...thinner air.

Not using an air filter WILL cause excessive engine ware. Your oil filter will go into bypass shortly and will not be filtering the oil at all. God knows what your intake system will look like and the effects. You will end up spending a lot more money in repairs then gas savings, if you keep the vehicle.

Koz
Old 02-01-07, 01:17 PM
Koz

Originally Posted by caymandive
Here's a fact for you. No matter what drop-in filter you put in the IS350 it's not going to make any more power. Unless you do some kind of scientific controlled test, you can rest assured the stock filter is your cleanest bet. Heck we still haven't figured out if removing the secondary carbon filter in the intake box lid frees up any power.
This may be, but for $40 bucks you have a lifetime filter. What filter are you using with the JoeZ pipe?

Koz
Old 02-01-07, 02:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,966 Likes on 2,402 Posts

For $40 you have a 91% filter. Stock is over 98%. Depends on your priorities. Also, oiled filters and MAFs are rarely good friends in the long haul. One over-oiling incident will completely negate the potential savings from the K&N.

I have run stock, K&N, and straight velocity stacks on a wide range of machines over the years so I am not speculating, just sharing my experience.
Old 02-01-07, 02:32 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
For $40 you have a 91% filter. Stock is over 98%. Depends on your priorities. Also, oiled filters and MAFs are rarely good friends in the long haul. One over-oiling incident will completely negate the potential savings from the K&N.

I have run stock, K&N, and straight velocity stacks on a wide range of machines over the years so I am not speculating, just sharing my experience.
Is there any real problem with allowing slightly more dirt through the filter other than needing to change your oil and / or oil filter slightly more often? I've run oiled cotton filters for over 10 years without having a single engine problem. Even after 130K miles of very hard driving, my Integra still had almost identical compression pressures as when it had 30K miles. Due to the MAF on this car, I opted for a foam filter. I don't know how it compares in filtering performance, but I figure it would be about the same as oiled cotton.

Quick Reply: For those with KN drop in filter....