Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

High idle after throttle body cleaning.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-07, 01:20 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default High idle after throttle body cleaning.

The car runs great however even AFTER 5 minutes of warm up and 15 minutes of driving the idle in park is still at 1200RPM! Please help. I just cleaned the TB last night. I have a GS400. Thanks.
Old 02-02-07, 02:00 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
The car runs great however even AFTER 5 minutes of warm up and 15 minutes of driving the idle in park is still at 1200RPM! Please help. I just cleaned the TB last night. I have a GS400. Thanks.
Your ECM needs time to compensate. I have done some spraying in my intake several times, and I always remember such isssues afterwards.
Old 02-02-07, 04:48 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I did this after i got my car also. I freaked out and posted a thead just like yours.. I think it took about 1 day or 2 to go back to normal.. Rock is right it has to compensate back to normal..
Old 02-02-07, 05:45 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Same thing happened to me. I think it wore off after a week or so.
Old 02-03-07, 04:11 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Thanks guys for the input. It actually got a lot better since my last post. I guess it does just need some time to adjust. Another happy forum member!!! Thanks again.
Old 02-05-07, 07:54 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Alright I hate to be a pain in the a$$ but the car is running a high idle again. I'll wait another week or so but before I do I want to give a little more info. on the symptoms. I am NOT getting a CEL at all. It's pretty cold here in NY (about 25 deg.) but after a 5 minute idle and a 20 minute drive the car is still not even hitting the 1st line on the temp. guage! It's like the car is NOT coming out of the cold start-up mode. After my drive the car idles at around 1100 - 1200. In drive it idles at around 800. The other night I was driving for around 40 minutes and it never hit normal operating temp on the guage. It was only about 1/4 up the guage instead of halfway. I only cleaned the throttle body and now I'm getting this.
How I cleaned the TB:
I sprayed carb and choke cleaner on the throttle plate when it was closed and used a rag and tooth brush for stubborn areas. Then, I held the plate open with my finger and cleaned the TB walls (about 1" - 2" deep) with a rag soaked with carb cleaner. BTW... what is the little metal rod hanging down from the top of the TB when you open the throttle plate? If my memory serves me I remember this being dirty from the residue left behind when I was cleaning the TB. I realized that I had forgot to wipe it when I finished. Please help... or should I just wait another week or so.
Old 02-05-07, 08:17 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry if I missed it, but did you reset the ecu?
Old 02-05-07, 09:06 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
sorry if I missed it, but did you reset the ecu?
That's exactly what I was going to suggest. RESET THE ECU.
Old 02-05-07, 09:31 AM
black_gs99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought when clean the tb you were not suppose to lift the flap manually? i thought you were to push the gas for it to open then spray the cleaner inside...
Old 02-05-07, 10:07 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

I did re-set the ECU. Negative battery terminal was disconnected for about 1 hr. while I was cleaning the TB and doing other stuff. I did open the TB plate manually but I have read that this is only bad for the drive-by-wire systems which does not apply to 98-00. I have a 2000 GS400. I read through a search on these forums that by pressing on the gas pedal it will NOT open the flap for the 98-00 GS400's so you must manually open the TB plate.
Old 02-05-07, 01:14 PM
migitymark
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I opened mine manually & it only idles high till it warmed up. you're saying the temp gauge never reaches operating temperature. The same thing happens all the time on my Ford Ranger. I'm not sure about the thermostat design on the GS, but on my truck....the spring gets weak and every 3-6 months or so The thermostat stays open, and the truck never gets to operating temperature...I guess its better than it not opening & overheating. I have no idea why it would decide to crap out now, but it seems like your thermostat isnt letting the car heat up.

You're not idling with the heat on high on anything that would rob the engine of heat are you?
Old 02-05-07, 01:36 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

No, everything is off to keep variables out of the equation.
Old 02-09-07, 10:18 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

After 1 week the high idle is still there!!! Also, I just filled up my tank on Wed. and and the needle is between the 3/4 and the half with only 58 miles tacked on??? WTF. Guys... did I ruin something on my TB? Let me know of any other "should not do's" when cleaning the TB. Please help! I'm desperate!!! The car is currently running OK though.
Old 02-10-07, 03:06 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

OK - The latest... I decided to retrace my steps and re-clean the TB. I am a D**K! I saw some Craftsman Professional Carb & Choke cleaner in my garage and used that on my TB last week. I thought it would probably clean TB also. Stupidly I did not read the directions that indicates DO NOT USE ON FUEL INJECTED VEHICLES. Now, I didn't spray it into the TB but still; what could have I damaged. This cleaner also indicates that it will NOT harm catalytic and O2 sensors. I cleaned the TB today with appropriate TB cleaner and re-set the ECU. It seem to be running great and has a normal idle but only when the temp. guage reaches the midway point. Even if it's a little under the midway point the idle in park is at 1100 rpm's. Is this normal? Also, what if any could I have damaged by using the carb & choke cleaner? Thanks.
Old 02-11-07, 05:25 PM
o2GS43o
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The carb cleaner i have at my shop doesn't have a disclaimer not to use it on fuel injected cars.

Quick Reply: High idle after throttle body cleaning.