Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Which One?
Tanabe
56.23%
Aftermarket HKS Hi-Power
43.77%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Aftermarket HKS Hi-Power or Tanabe

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-07, 11:32 PM
intrinsic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my HKS has toned down a little but its still there. no complaints tho. i love the sound and the drone is not realy that bad. just a little getting used to. and i think its a little more pronounced just because our cars are meant to be quiet, thats why i think you hear more than ones supposed to.
Old 07-23-07, 09:17 AM
iizzle3fiz
Driver School Candidate

got the HKS-Hi Power....lovin' the look and the sound. my friends call it Big D*** exhaust. LOL
Old 07-26-07, 05:32 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

I'm going Tanabe. HKS seems a bit ricey, though I would probably get one if I was 10 years younger.
Old 07-27-07, 09:52 PM
caribmon71
Rookie

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Well I got it installed this weekend...

Also, the mufflers ride just a little lower than I was hoping... My car is only lowered a little over an inch in the rear, but the rear tip of my mufflers bottom out whenever I drove onto my parents' driveway... Didn't seem to matter how slow I was driving. That never happened with the stock mufflers.

Is this a problem I should worry about? I don't go there all that often (once every month or two), but I think I could definitely see this damaging the exhaust if it keeps happening. If so, I might have to look into tucking the exhaust a little higher. Where can I get those shorter hangers that I think Gernby mentioned? One of my friends told me that the stock hangers are pretty much as small as they come.

Worst comes to worst, I'll just have to park on the street over there, heh...

I was reading through this thread and I happened across your concern about your exhaust hanging too low. I installed a Techtonics exhuaust system on my Touareg V8 that hanged a little lower than I cared for and had one side hanging a little lower than the other. I just got the muffler shop to get on the hanger with the acetylene torch. Jam a piece of wood or pipe between the top of the hangar and the bottom of the vehicle. Once the hangar is red hot, just push up on the can and you're good to go. Do that on both sides until you get them just right!

Here are three pictures:

Good luck!

By the way, I have the Tanabe. I just installed it and I'm extremely satisfied with it. I'll probably bring the tips up just a tad. Be cautious, though. If you over do it, you'll burn your bumper.

Last edited by caribmon71; 07-27-07 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-09-07, 08:34 PM
oliveryo
Driver

Originally Posted by intrinsic
my HKS has toned down a little but its still there. no complaints tho. i love the sound and the drone is not realy that bad. just a little getting used to. and i think its a little more pronounced just because our cars are meant to be quiet, thats why i think you hear more than ones supposed to.
Aftermarket exhausts don't tone down, they only get louder.
Your probably just use to the sound, hence the toned down
Old 12-17-07, 11:17 PM
x2mkx
Driver

have the HKS and i LOVE it. i have had no problems with droning whatsoever. sounds perfect, its got a sporty tone to it and its loudest b/w 2000-3500 rpms. once you pass 3500 rpms the engine overpowers it but you can still hear it growl a bit. i couldnt be happier!
Old 12-21-07, 02:55 AM
bdoggie28
Driver School Candidate

i just got the tanabe on my is250.... its really quiet... almost too quiet for me, but it does sound good. i like the way it looks compared to the HKS. im thinking about getting a custom mid pipe to bring out the sound more..
Old 12-22-07, 12:40 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bdoggie28
i just got the tanabe on my is250.... its really quiet... almost too quiet for me, but it does sound good. i like the way it looks compared to the HKS. im thinking about getting a custom mid pipe to bring out the sound more..
My Tanabe got a little louder after a few miles. You might wait a while and see.
Old 12-24-07, 05:52 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed the Tanabe on my car this weekend. It isn't loud for an aftermarket exhaust, but is definitely a lot louder than the stock exhaust. I guess it just takes some getting used to.
Old 12-27-07, 09:35 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

i prefer the tanabe look over hks. but both exhaust have nice systems
Old 01-03-08, 04:41 AM
4U2eNv_8o8
Lexus Test Driver

So hard to choose.....-_- I really want to go for a little bit louder exhaust, but I don't want to go to over board with the sound of it. I guess in my age and being asian you still want the louder sound. Like some posts though I don't really want to attract attention too much. I'll probably try Tanabe first before I go and decide its not to loud for me.

P.S. My girlfriend(soon to be my wife, just waiting for the right time )doesn't really like when I tend to attract attention. :P
Old 01-24-08, 03:16 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I installed a Tanabe about 70 miles ago.Quiet on idle with a little nicer tone.You can hear the difference from stock when accelerating and at highway speed.
Not too loud but much louder than stock.I wouldn't want it any louder and hope it doesn't get so with more miles driven.
Old 02-20-08, 03:15 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My Tanabe comes tomorrow thru UPS!!!

I am looking forward to it. they tried to deliver my springs today but no one there for the sig Hopefully they let me sign and leave it for them to drop off tomorrow. My first two mods after a whole year. i needed something more and decided to do this VS trading for another car.
Old 07-10-08, 01:55 PM
HeC18
Driver School Candidate

how much does the HKS Hi-Power exhaust cost compared to the tanabe?? i really like the look and sound of the HKS but im tight on money
Old 07-28-08, 09:53 AM
TinCan
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found the tanabe for 578 online ... anyone find a cheaper place?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket HKS Hi-Power or Tanabe