Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Which One?
Tanabe
56.23%
Aftermarket HKS Hi-Power
43.77%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Aftermarket HKS Hi-Power or Tanabe

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-07, 11:21 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by t0e
I dont like the way it sounds :P .... P.S. and i had the LMS exhaust :P
I'm guessing you're talking about the HKS? What don't you like about it?
Old 03-20-07, 08:59 PM
mctuners
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought and put the HKS exhaust on my IS250. BC, the sound of the exhaust was a bit louder than I expected, I took it off and purchased a new tanabe exhaust, but did not put it on the car yet. I see that many people who went for HKS Hi-Power exhaust, was not satisfied because of its loud sound at the first time, but they liked it after a few hundred miles applied on it (break-in period). If I keep the HKS exhaust on my car for several hundred miles, would it eventually be quieter than the first time? I am already trying to sell the HKS exhaust, and put the tanabe exhaust on, but if it will be quieter than the first time for sure, I am willing to keep it.
Old 03-20-07, 10:05 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

I have a feeling that after a few hundred miles people just get used to the noise.
Old 03-21-07, 07:20 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
I have a feeling that after a few hundred miles people just get used to the noise.
That is definitely not the case. I went back and listened to the video I posted with good speakers, and the noises I heard in that video are not ocurring anymore.
Old 03-21-07, 07:28 AM
okiaristo
Pole Position

they do have a silent Hi power series also. i found out after i bought mine. it is a bit quieter. sadly i think i am going to put my Cat back on to quiet the dang thing down
Old 03-21-07, 07:34 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by okiaristo
they do have a silent Hi power series also. i found out after i bought mine. it is a bit quieter. sadly i think i am going to put my Cat back on to quiet the dang thing down
Huh?! I haven't heard of this. Are you sure that you aren't thinking of the OEM Lexus exhaust that is designed and manufactured by HKS? It is not a "Hi Power" series at all.
Old 03-21-07, 01:35 PM
mctuners
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gernby
Huh?! I haven't heard of this. Are you sure that you aren't thinking of the OEM Lexus exhaust that is designed and manufactured by HKS? It is not a "Hi Power" series at all.
Agree.. I don't think there is another version of HKS Hi-Power.
Old 03-21-07, 01:36 PM
mctuners
Lead Lap

So, you guys think that it really gets quieter or our ears get used to the exhaust sound?
Old 03-21-07, 03:04 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mctuners
So, you guys think that it really gets quieter or our ears get used to the exhaust sound?
I just answered this question a few posts up, but does it really matter? People that have the HKS exhaust complain about the volume at first, then they think it gets quieter (In my case, I think it REALLY DID get quieter), and they are happy with it. Why does it matter? One thing I still plan to do is buy a pair of HKS silencer inserts that I can pop in whenever I've got my grandmother in the car with me (or whoever) that might be irritated by the slightest sound.
Old 03-22-07, 12:46 AM
okiaristo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mctuners
Agree.. I don't think there is another version of HKS Hi-Power.
/ start rant/ my bad, i guess they sell everything in IA/TX and i am retarded...

they do make it, i have seen it, touched it... and if they make it, you can buy it..

ohh ohh ohh wait. HKS says i am right.. http://www.hksusa.com/products/more.asp?id=715

sorry to be so iritated but a simple search was all that was needed to see the "silent" series... /end rant/
Old 03-22-07, 07:44 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by okiaristo
/ start rant/ my bad, i guess they sell everything in IA/TX and i am retarded...

they do make it, i have seen it, touched it... and if they make it, you can buy it..

ohh ohh ohh wait. HKS says i am right.. http://www.hksusa.com/products/more.asp?id=715

sorry to be so iritated but a simple search was all that was needed to see the "silent" series... /end rant/
Calm down slick! The link you posted is a link to the exhaust that I currently own, and there isn't a "silent" version listed for the 2IS. However, you can purchase the 115 mm HKS silencers, and install them in the HKS mufflers, but there will be a significant power loss. In my experience, the power loss is WAY more significant that just keeping the stock exhuast.
Old 03-23-07, 09:29 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

This might be a stupid question, but (assuming it's even possible) would putting smaller tips on the HKS cause any change in sound or any power loss? I don't know if that size is just for show, or if it really uses all that width.

If it wasn't for those damn tips, I think I'd be sold on the HKS.
Old 03-27-07, 11:57 AM
joonsta
Lead Lap

The whole point of getting the HKS Hi-Power over the Tanabe exhaust is to have those large tips on top of the growling noise, no?
Old 03-27-07, 10:42 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

The noise I like, the tips I don't.
Old 03-28-07, 04:16 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I don't like the tips either. I thought about trying to replace the tips, but I can't figure out how it could be done.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket HKS Hi-Power or Tanabe