Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Which One?
Tanabe
56.23%
Aftermarket HKS Hi-Power
43.77%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Aftermarket HKS Hi-Power or Tanabe

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-07, 10:59 PM
joonsta
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by edwin907
No problem, Joonsta, not quite that far away but see if this one gives you a decent perspective.
I know what you mean, I searched and searched and only found a few good photos of the exhaust.
Hey Edwin, I can't really tell the size of the exhausts from that picture...could you send the exhausts over to my house so I can take a better look at them ?

Jokes aside, how would you rate the volume of the sound of the HKS compared to the Tanabe one in caymandive's video (http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/show...73629&page=2)?

Deeper or lighter? Louder or quieter?

Or better yet, you could perhaps make a video clip of your exhausts with replication of caymandive's setup ?

Please let us know, thanks.
Old 04-18-07, 06:54 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a video that I did of my HKS Hi-Power when it was brand new. I should do another video now that it has a few thousand miles on it...
Old 04-18-07, 09:51 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

I think that video does do a pretty good job of capturing the resonance/droning at the lower RPMs (with a decent sub)... Unless you're saying it's actually even worse than that? If so, I don't remember it being that bad when I sat in your car, but I guess you were saying that the droning died down significantly after the exhaust was broken in.
Old 04-18-07, 09:53 AM
mort
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the sound in the higher rev range, although it sounds like much of that is from your intake. From what I hear about the Tanabe, it is more noticeable at lower revs and not much different higher up. I guess I will find out Friday when I install mine. Also, really like the last part of that video....the chirp,thenVROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM....as she disappears into the horizon at a high rate of speed.....GOT TO LOVE IT!!!!
Old 04-18-07, 10:04 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
I think that video does do a pretty good job of capturing the resonance/droning at the lower RPMs (with a decent sub)... Unless you're saying it's actually even worse than that? If so, I don't remember it being that bad when I sat in your car, but I guess you were saying that the droning died down significantly after the exhaust was broken in.
It doesn't drone that bad anymore. That's why I really need to record another video.
Old 04-18-07, 10:10 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mort
Love the sound in the higher rev range, although it sounds like much of that is from your intake. From what I hear about the Tanabe, it is more noticeable at lower revs and not much different higher up. I guess I will find out Friday when I install mine. Also, really like the last part of that video....the chirp,thenVROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM....as she disappears into the horizon at a high rate of speed.....GOT TO LOVE IT!!!!
My intake sounds just like stock. I did a video on that too.
Old 04-18-07, 10:12 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

That's good... When I'm just casually cruising around, I don't want my exhaust to interfere with my music.

Also, you were saying you don't think your intake has much (if any) effect on the noise, right? I don't see why that intake pipe would.

EDIT: nm, you just answered that...
Old 04-18-07, 10:19 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

BTW, Greg, how much lower is your car than stock? One of my concerns was the height of the mufflers over the ground, but they look fine in that video.

... On an unrelated note, the left muffler/tip in most of the pictures of the HKS I've seen seems to be ever so slightly lower than the right tip for some reason...
Old 04-18-07, 10:20 AM
mort
Lead Lap

I have always found on the few cars I had intakes on, that they definatley were noticed when pushing it fast into higher revs, but I have only had K & N systems.
Old 04-18-07, 10:41 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

My car is maybe 1.5" lower in the back since I have the eibach pro springs and my rear tires are 1" smaller in diameter (lowers car 1/2").

mort, I just have a slightly modified stock intake.
Old 04-18-07, 01:24 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

So this kind of exhaust should be relatively easy to install myself, right? Although I remember someone mentioning something about shady instructions from HKS.
Old 04-18-07, 01:34 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
So this kind of exhaust should be relatively easy to install myself, right? Although I remember someone mentioning something about shady instructions from HKS.
There's no need for instructions. It doesn't get any more straight forward. Certainly within the capabilities of a EE.
Old 04-18-07, 02:05 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

If that Lego Robot project taught me anything, it was how to install a new exhaust on my car.
Old 04-20-07, 02:17 AM
duckduck
Pole Position

Is it me, or does the Tanabe sound like a deeper pitch than the HKS? The HKS is louder...but at a higher pitch. At least that's what I'm getting from all the videos posted on youtube. Anyone have any comments?

I really like the deeper purr that the Tanabe sound gives out at the lower RPM's. However, the HKS doesn't seem to have that deep purr on startup/at low RPM's. Instead, it seems to be just loud. I'm not trying to knock on HKS, but I want that low purr. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 04-20-07, 03:32 AM
edwin907
Driver

Originally Posted by duckduck
Is it me, or does the Tanabe sound like a deeper pitch than the HKS?
I've only heard the Tanabe once on an otherwise stock IS350, and I'd have to say that my HKS, while louder, is definitely deeper.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket HKS Hi-Power or Tanabe