Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

non-VVTi 2JZ-GTE swap in 2nd-gen GS300?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-07, 06:18 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default non-VVTi 2JZ-GTE swap in 2nd-gen GS300?

Hey guys.

Seems like it is near impossible to have a legal swap of VVTi 2JZ-GTE from an Aristo V300 into a 98+ GS300. Even if the engine is newer, it is never offered here in the US after 1998.

So what I'm thinking about is, has anyone tried swapping a non-VVTi 2JZ-GTE into a 98+ GS? Meaning, 2JZ-GTE from JDM 93-97 GS300s, or from USDM Supras. Tuners here in the states are very familiar with the Supra's 2JZ, and thus should make tuning much easier, compared to the VVTi version, which not many people have.

I think Jay has a non-VVTi GTE swap here. Anyone else? Will non-VVTi versions, especially something from like USDM Supra TT, be easier to accomplish in terms of the swap? I mean, for sure the mods will be easier to complete, since Supra TTs are not uncommon.

Anyone have any ideas in terms of the swap?
Old 02-17-07, 09:41 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bluelex. Thats what his setup is.

If you really want a VVTi Aristo front clip look to Canada. Its cheaper and easier to get from them.

Check here also they usually carry motor sets and/or front clips.
http://www.venus-auto.com

They have one in stock here:
http://www.jarcoinc.com/inventory/halfcuts/
Old 02-17-07, 10:53 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSoup
Bluelex. Thats what his setup is.

If you really want a VVTi Aristo front clip look to Canada. Its cheaper and easier to get from them.

Check here also they usually carry motor sets and/or front clips.
http://www.venus-auto.com

They have one in stock here:
http://www.jarcoinc.com/inventory/halfcuts/
thanks for the links. It's actually not that hard to locate a VVTi 2JZ-GTE. I am looking for the difficulties / differences when it comes to VVTi and non-VVTi swaps. IMO, non-VVTi will give a lot less problems when it comes to the electronics, but that's what I THINK.
Old 02-18-07, 12:40 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

allright after some serious searching I think I should just PM BlueLex and them
Old 02-18-07, 03:57 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ray, sounds like a nice little upgrade you are researching!!
Old 02-18-07, 05:53 AM
DrewGS350
Instructor

I asked this question before but was not exactly sure about the differences. I am currently looking for an 03-05 2JZ-GTE. and need to know what will and will not work with the swap. I have an 03 GS3 and must be able to use my E-shift, VSC and cruise. Anyone done this particular swap? Prices here are a lot better then I have seen state side.
Old 02-18-07, 07:25 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DrewGS300
I asked this question before but was not exactly sure about the differences. I am currently looking for an 03-05 2JZ-GTE. and need to know what will and will not work with the swap. I have an 03 GS3 and must be able to use my E-shift, VSC and cruise. Anyone done this particular swap? Prices here are a lot better then I have seen state side.
Burgundy GS has done the 2nd Gen VVti swap. He did a single turbo setup.

Here's his thread in regards to it. Very good thread to read!!!!!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=burgundy

Burton also has the VVti swap..
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=213752

I think i wasn't clear :
Bluelex has a 1st gen 2JGTE swap.
Burton has a 2nd gen VVTi 2JZGTE swap
BurgandyGS has a 2nd gen VVTi 2JZGTE swap
Old 02-18-07, 10:45 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a single turbo Vvti swap as well, no problems.
Old 02-18-07, 12:10 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

thanks for the info guys.

I guess i'm mainly looking at OBD-I and OBD-II issues when swapping onto a 98+ 2GS, and other related electric issues. 93-97 2JZ-GTE could be either OBD 1 or 2, and that should make a big difference.
Old 02-18-07, 12:17 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DrewGS300
in order to keep E-shift and VSC you must use a VVTi 2JZ-GTE, because older non VVTi 2JZ-GTEs do not support E-shift and VSC. cruise should work either way.

a 03-05 2JZ-GTE will be harder to come by, since only Aristo V300s had it (Supra discontinued in 2003 I think).
Old 02-18-07, 01:51 PM
BurgandyGS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 98 GS 300 and did the vvt-i swap. If you want to do the non vvt-i, you will be running 2 ecu's and there is way more wiring issues. I also believe some of your sensors wont work either. Plus, one is obd1 and the other is obd2. The vvt-i is pretty damn close to our original engines and you won't lose any functions. The only thing I don't have is VSC. If I can find the skematic, my wire guy said he could do it. Put the newer, more "intelligent" engine.
Old 02-18-07, 06:50 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also, with the non-vvti engine, you need a big hammer to hammer in the passenger-side firewall to make the twin turbos fit next to the battery. actually, just kidding, you dont' need a big hammer, but you need some sort of tool to roll the metal in so the stock tt fits, plus the 2 ecus, and all the wiring problems you may run into.

Cliff notes: just get the vvti motor. In the end, you save more money by getting the right motor by spending less on labor and headaches.
Old 02-19-07, 07:19 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Wasn't there a limit on the cruise control like 67mph or something like that?

I have to agree with everyone you'll have less headaches with the 2nd Gen VVTi motor.

I know with the conversations I have had with Adrian the 1st gen isn't that hard but there is more work involved (custom motor mount) then just the drop right in 2nd Gen. There is also the issue with wiring and the 2 ECU's.

Originally Posted by BurgandyGS
I have a 98 GS 300 and did the vvt-i swap. If you want to do the non vvt-i, you will be running 2 ecu's and there is way more wiring issues. I also believe some of your sensors wont work either.

Last edited by GSoup; 02-19-07 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-19-07, 11:21 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it comes down to persoanl choice and what your thinking of doing with the motor. I had many conversations with shops and tuners before I chose and even had JTanoyo tell me to go with the non vvt-i for tuning reasons. At the time i bought my swap their was very little info on doing the vvt-i version swap. Plus the vvt-i clip was almost 2k more. Than most shops wanted another 1k in labor to try that motor so i broke it down like 3k more for a set up that wasn't very well known and than having tuners tell me its a pita to tune for power.? So I went with the non vvt-i. I even read a thread back in the day here where everyone was talking about these same 2 set ups and the majority were explaining and choosing the non vvt-i. The motor mounts were really not a big deal and banging to my inner engine bay wall didn't have to be done in order to clear the jdm twins on that motor. I actually recently added the us spec twins and still no banging to my walls was needed to clear the us spec twins which are a tad bit bigger than the jdm ones. Yes we needed to get a yoke off a 1st gen gs3 in order to complete the drivetrain but other than that its all a go. yes i lost cruise control,traction, and small things like the d in my dash doesn't light up when the car is in drive but those are minimal losses imo. The car has run strong for over a year and a half with out any issues. Only recenty did i start to get some bpu upgrades added and get some base parts fixed while we were in there like repalcing the coilpacks,coil clips, and small maintenence items. The tuning part of the vvt-i is where most people come into hurdles. Some have been able to get passed the hurdle with ease while others ar still trying to figure it out. With the non vvt-i not much of a hurdle to worry about in the short run with twins, us psec twins or when you go single in the long run. My car was up and runing in a few weeks after my swap on the stock ecu for over a year and has been running with the afc2 for over 2 months with no issues. I just took it to a different tuner cuz I want to maximize my power potential plus getting some small maintenence items replaced like I mentioned before. If e-shift is very important than yes vvt-i is the only way to get it. Not sure how many people with a gte set up care about cruise control or want traction control anyway..lol but if these are very important than go vvt-i. The running of 2 ecu's is pretty new info to me, i actually don't think my car is running off both ecu's just the jap spec ecu. I will confirm this for you later today hopefully. I wish Jay could come on and comment, he has acheived lot with his set up power wise and knows what he is talking about more than me, I just pay for labor..lol

Edit: I walked into my garage and my stock ecu in a box with some other stuff left over after the swap, so I called Grip-industries to confirm and yes my car is not running both ecu's Grip doesn't do their engine swaps that way. The j-spec ecu is running in there. How? By getting the 1st gen aristo wirirng diagram and taching it one by one to have it speak to my car. Yes the vvt-i is more of a plug and play here. Sounds more complicated but I guess its the right way to do it in a non vvt-i rather than running both ecu's. Tuning and speaking to the vvt-i and making it do what you want is the where the fun is in that set up. But like the guys at MTR told me making the vvt-i do it is one thing keeping the vvt-i from changing on its own is where the hurdle is right now. When keeping the twins its mush easier but when going big its tougher from what they told me..So again it depends on what yur looking for, and who is doing the work. I'm sure that info will keep coming out to be able to battle those issues as some here have already mentioned they are running the vvt-i with no problems..

Last edited by bluelex; 02-19-07 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-21-07, 05:33 AM
DrewGS350
Instructor

WOW!!! That was a lot of info... Thanks! You have all made this decision an obvious no-brainer VVTI no question. My issue is having the car work no different other than the obvious increase in power. I have an 03 GS and am looking for an 03-05 2JZ-GTE out of an Aristo V300; found one but the price was ridiculous. Wish I had brought the car with me; wasn't thinking about all this at the time and received a lot of bad info. Only 7 months left so will have to get the last few items for my upgrades and the 2JZ-GTE will be the icing on the cake should it all work out. Have no idea where I will be going but I am shooting for Tampa Fl. More to come...