Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

$2k to spend on boosting GS3 power. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-07, 03:41 PM
gs-ireland
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default $2k to spend on boosting GS3 power. Advice?

What is the best way with max $2000 to get the best bang-for-buck of a power increace for my 98 GS3 ?

I would love to get an extra 100 gee-gee's out of it from stock.

Recommendations please????
Old 02-25-07, 03:51 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Torque Converter, SRT intake, Custom Exhaust, Headers....

That's all I got
Old 02-25-07, 05:21 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Only way you are going to come anywhere even close to getting an extra 100 gee gee's (I assume you mean hp) out of a Gs3 for $2000 is nitrous. That would be probably in the neighborhood of $500-$600 and should net you around 75hp. The hp/risk factor is your decision.

If you want to keep the car reliable with bolt-on's, Srt intake should get you roughly 15-20hp, exhaust will get you a few more and headers possibly a few more. Between those three you would probably gain around roughly 30whp. Mind you that is a significant difference in crank horsepower and you will notice it.
A torque convetor isn't going to make any more power but it will use the power you have MUCH more efficiently. You will see a .5s or better decrease in your 1/4mi times from the Tc, that in itself is a huge difference(0-60 will also be greatly improved).

Estimated Price breakdown:

Srt intake: $450 shipped
Cat back exhaust: $500-$850 shipped depending on model you choose
Headers: Roughly $300 shipped
Torque Convertor: $900 shipped
Nitrous: $500 shipped

Other factors to consider, labor to install parts adds up quickly. When was the last service performed on the car, tranny fluid, diff fluid, plugs etc...
Old 02-25-07, 05:44 PM
black_gs99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by macd7919
A torque convetor isn't going to make any more power but it will use the power you have MUCH more efficiently. You will see a .5s or better decrease in your 1/4mi times from the Tc, that in itself is a huge difference(0-60 will also be greatly improved).
that is not true for a gs300 to lose a half second on the 1/4 mile from a tc...the gs300's stall speed is already quite high and by installing a tc you will not notice it as much as u would if you had a gs400/430. if you wanna go best bang for your dollar... than i would suggest get the srt inatke/ecu, carson tuned exhaust, and obx headers without the y pipe...that would still leave you with about 300 to spend on some nice taillights...
Old 02-25-07, 05:54 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by black_gs99
that is not true for a gs300 to lose a half second on the 1/4 mile from a tc...the gs300's stall speed is already quite high and by installing a tc you will not notice it as much as u would if you had a gs400/430. if you wanna go best bang for your dollar... than i would suggest get the srt inatke/ecu, carson tuned exhaust, and obx headers without the y pipe...that would still leave you with about 300 to spend on some nice taillights...
If i was in his situation, and wanted basic bolt ons..

Generic Ebay Intake, Header w/ Y pipe, custom exhaust w/ full piping (why spend so much for the carson exhaust?) and a SAFC to get it tuned.

If you can find a catback exhaust for around $300, get it. If not, Some magnaflows with custom piping will do. To use the obx Y pipe, you would have to extend the Y pipe to mate up with the factory or catback exhaust. If you're doing custom exhaust, you can just leave it and start your piping from where the obx Y left off.
Old 02-25-07, 05:56 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

There's no way in hell you're gonna be able to get your car properly boosted with only $2000 to spend. I'm doing most of my turbo setup myself with the help of a friend. After that I still have to take my car to get tuned at a shop. All in all with everything done with and tuned, I'll be spending just under $3000. Keep in mind almost all of the work and fabrication was done by my friend and me. If you have no idea what is involved with building your turbo setup, then you will be better off buying a turbo kit. Those are quite pricey though at close to $5-7K! Then you gotta pay for a shop to install and tune it on top.

Anyways, for your budget level...either stay with NA and get the basic bolt ons. The other way you're going to see close to 100hp increase is to drop some nitrous.
Old 02-25-07, 06:01 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by black_gs99
that is not true for a gs300 to lose a half second on the 1/4 mile from a tc...
You will absolutely drop a good amount of time off the 1/4 with a higher stall (in the neighborhood of .5s). I never said to only go up 200rpm as that is ridiculous (using info from this site saying the stock Gs3 is 2600rpm). Go up to a 3200-3400 stall and you will see a major improvement. I have personally been in Gs3 back to back from stock TC to a PI TC as mentioned and it was a HUGE difference. You will be able to spin the tires off the line, at will, in a Gs3
Old 02-26-07, 09:02 AM
TXGS
Driver

You will need way more than $2,000 to boost a GS. Multiply that $2k by 4 for a minimum budget.
Old 02-26-07, 09:06 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I think he meant boost in power and not boost as in Turbo. $2K will barely get you a Turbo, Manifold and maybe a wastegate.......
Old 02-26-07, 09:09 AM
TXGS
Driver

Right! My bad.
Old 02-26-07, 10:15 AM
gs-ireland
Pole Position

Thanks for the feedback, and sorry for my choice of words (boost) if it confused anybody!

From reading other threads a turbo kit would cost me around $8-10k, a supercharger (i believe its now hard to get) ~ $6-7k.

I have a question on the intakes ,from the SRT website
http://www.swiftracing.com/vehicles/...take_gs300.htm they only found an extra ~14 bhp for $450. What bhp increase would I hope to get from a ebay special? such as:
http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...2340&rd=1&rd=1
Old 02-26-07, 11:26 AM
Joe C
Lexus Test Driver

Check your e-mail.
Old 02-26-07, 11:28 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gs-ireland
http://www.swiftracing.com/vehicles/...take_gs300.htm they only found an extra ~14 bhp for $450. What bhp increase would I hope to get from a ebay special? such as:
Not much without fuel compensation.
14hp is at the wheels not at the crank which is a big increase in hp for just adding an intake. If you just put on the ebay intake it is hardly going to make a difference because you are not optimizing the A/F. Srt uses the race ecu to do this, thats where all the power comes from. If you want similar results with the ebay intake you will need to also purchase an Apexi Safc to tune your fuel. Afc's are in the neighborhood of $200+ . Then you also need to have a dyno session to be able to accuratley adjust the afc and get some power. Dyno's in the states are roughly $75 for 3 pulls. So by the time you are done with it, you have whatever $$ the intake costs, plus $200+ for the Afc plus $75 or so for the dyno. You will be in the neighborhood of what the Srt costs.

Srt you can install at home and go, no dyno necessary as it is pre tuned for the application. Ebay intake you will have to get it tuned on the dyno to get any worthwhile gains. Your decision
Old 02-27-07, 09:21 AM
black_gs99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by macd7919
You will absolutely drop a good amount of time off the 1/4 with a higher stall (in the neighborhood of .5s). I never said to only go up 200rpm as that is ridiculous (using info from this site saying the stock Gs3 is 2600rpm). Go up to a 3200-3400 stall and you will see a major improvement. I have personally been in Gs3 back to back from stock TC to a PI TC as mentioned and it was a HUGE difference. You will be able to spin the tires off the line, at will, in a Gs3
well i don't know about spinning the tires at will. but you do give a good point about not get the 2800 stall since gs300's already have 2600. i just wanted him to know that the tc won't make sure a huge impact on his car like how it does on a 400.
Old 02-27-07, 11:32 AM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Originally Posted by gs-ireland

I installed ebay intake a long time ago, before I got an SRT. I lost to Nissan Sentra w/manual tranny off the line with that e-bay intake as my low end speed decreased a lot.

Quick Reply: $2k to spend on boosting GS3 power. Advice?