Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Aristo swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-07, 05:20 PM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aristo swap

Hi guys,

I'm gathering information on doing an Aristo swap. I went to see my installer today, Bruce Nomura. He expressed a few concerns about the swap which I'd like to get more information on:

1) He said some of the Aristo's have 4WS, how will I know which clip will be for RWD?
2) The ABS on the GS is on the left hand side (driver side), how do you guys deal with this with the right hand drive aristo?
3) Will all sensors be included with the front clip?
4) How does the digital key work with the Aristo ECU? Will it have to reprogrammed?
5) Will I need the fuel setup (from the spare tire area)?
6) How will the GS stock rear end hold up with the swap?
7) Has anyone gotten the OBDII sensor to read for smog?

Thanks.

Last edited by uplusd; 02-27-07 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-27-07, 06:07 PM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

good questions..... lets talk numbers too...
Old 02-28-07, 02:55 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mrurmil
Hi guys,

I'm gathering information on doing an Aristo swap. I went to see my installer today, Bruce Nomura. He expressed a few concerns about the swap which I'd like to get more information on:

1) He said some of the Aristo's have 4WS, how will I know which clip will be for RWD?

2) The ABS on the GS is on the left hand side (driver side), how do you guys deal with this with the right hand drive aristo?

3) Will all sensors be included with the front clip?

4) How does the digital key work with the Aristo ECU? Will it have to reprogrammed?

5) Will I need the fuel setup (from the spare tire area)?

6) How will the GS stock rear end hold up with the swap?

7) Has anyone gotten the OBDII sensor to read for smog?

Thanks.
1. It shouldn't matter much, worst case you will have to buy a new output "flange" on the tranny to match your driveshaft, not a big deal.

2. Doesn't interfere.

3. That depends on who you but the clip from but everything should be included. If possible specify you want the ignitor from the aristo with the clip as it is worth about $100 but you don't really need it. It's the same as the one on your Gs.

4. My car is a 98 and I used I believe a 2000 Aristo swap if I remember correctly, no key issues.

5. You will need to install either the stock pump from the aristo which probably will not be included with the clip, or install a walbro 255 pump. You will need to run a fuel return line to the pump assembly.

6. Stock rear end will hold up fine, they are open diffs so I wouldnt suggest doing prolonged 1 wheel burnouts but idk why you would as they look stupid anyways. Changing to a Supra rear or installing an aftermarket lsd will help acceleration alot as well as handling.

7. Can't comment on this but my dash diag/ plug would not read anything with the scanner at rrev motorsports, I didn't pay attention to which they used and we didnt try the underhood.

Other notes, you will only be able to use cruise control below about 65mph, factory speed limiter is around 115mph, you are going to lose traction control but you will retain tranny modes (snow, etc, normal)
Old 02-28-07, 10:04 AM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

Another question - I have navigation on my GS. Will this swap have any effect on the navigation system and climate control which is controlled through the navigation?
Old 02-28-07, 12:21 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

I don't have factory nav so i can't comment on that for sure but I don't think it will be affected.
Old 02-28-07, 10:22 PM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

From the research I've done on these boards, it seems like the swap is pretty straight forward. How much non plug-and-play work will have to be done to complete the swap? I read about changing some ECU pinouts on the Aristo ECU.

What would be a fair labor charge? My installer told me anywhere from 5k-10k which seems a bit high for what I read is a 2 day swap. Thoughts?

Also where did you get your clip?

Last edited by uplusd; 02-28-07 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-28-07, 11:20 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

I don't think it's quite a 2 day swap.

It's not something where you will need huge amounts of custom work done, it's more about finding someone who is familiar with the car and is able to do the job. I did my swap myself, I have had Gs's apart numerous times so i could pretty much just fly through it. If I hadn't had a Gs apart before then it may have taken quite awhile longer.

The thing with labor is, it's not a common swap. Most shops are going to be unsure about doing it and they are going to want to cover themselves in case it takes along time. Your other option is find someone who has done one already which may not be such an easy thing to do as there really arent that many people out there with swapped Gs's running around and even less who had the work done by a private party (i.e the owner of the car or someone who isnt going to charge you shop rates).

I sourced my motor set (I didn't buy a front clip) from a company I deal with in Ca. and had it shipped to Md.
Old 02-28-07, 11:35 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to give you an idea, i paid $3500 for labor
Old 03-01-07, 06:29 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What you may want to do is look for a shop that has done 2JZ swaps for Supras. Some of the NA Supra guys wind up using Aristo 2JZs. So any shop that is familiar with that engine will be more comfortable doing that swap. Therefore the labor won't be as high as what they estimated you. Which by the way is ridiculously high.
Old 03-01-07, 08:43 AM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah Bruce Nomura is one of the most renowned Supra tuners. He also built the only IS V300 (2jz gte swap in IS), but this car took a lot longer because there is more custom work involved. He hasnt done an Aristo swap before but he knows the 2jz inside and out which is why I'm wondering why he quoted me so high.
Old 03-01-07, 11:37 PM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

What do you guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOT...spagenameZWD1V

80k on it
Old 03-02-07, 12:45 AM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont get that one.

the top end was sludged up. who knows what else might be wrong/clogged up.
Old 03-02-07, 03:10 PM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep looking.
Old 09-26-07, 05:31 AM
wingzero
Rookie

Originally Posted by mrurmil
Yeah Bruce Nomura is one of the most renowned Supra tuners. He also built the only IS V300 (2jz gte swap in IS), but this car took a lot longer because there is more custom work involved. He hasnt done an Aristo swap before but he knows the 2jz inside and out which is why I'm wondering why he quoted me so high.
I know very late post but "only ISV300" I guess mine doesn't count....

And yes i did the work myself
Old 09-26-07, 09:33 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wingzero
I know very late post but "only ISV300" I guess mine doesn't count....

And yes i did the work myself
did you happen to sell this to someone in Indiana that has a Supra? There's a guy in Indy running with a 2JZGTE in an IS300.

Do the factory gauges still work? That picture of that white supra with the 2JZGTE+V160 swap had after market guages and I would hate to cut up the interior of our 2GS.

Keep us updated with the swap.