Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2jz-gte 1993 Gs300 can it be done..

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-01, 01:05 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default about right

Originally posted by CamryRR
... JSpec VVTI 2jz-gte for 7000$ Canadian and that includes an auto tranny.Im not sure i can boost as much on a VVTI version as on a standard US spec one,if not i will try and find an US engine and Ecu for not too expensive but it sounds hard to find.I got a responce from JZS147 and he recomends a US spec engine , he also told me his swap was around 20grand so that seems like alot of money for a Canadian .JZS147 also told me about the tranny shaft problem ,he oil pan and turbo pipe stuff so that is not too hard to get done.I know aplace in Canada that might be able to do the swap for me http://www.japanese-auto.com located in Toronto area and the guy who runs this place is a toyota maniac who worked at a Toyota dealership for 25years.
A VVT-i based 2JZ-GTE with a tranny at $4,407.67 (US) is a bargain. The remaing question is does it come with the wiring harness (uncinched) and the ECU? If it does its a bargain... if not its close to market value. Regarding boost... I think you use the word in the wrong context. But based on the stock ECU and fuel system of a JZS161 you can push 1.3bar reliably and anymore is dangerous for the ceramic wheel CT20s. The engine can hold 750 horsepower at the crank regardless without rebuilding the bottom end. As for putting a Supra TT Automatic's ECU on this engine will not work. Different sensors and the intake cam is dependent on the Aristo ECU. But for the JZS14# go with the first generation because everything is basically plug and play. Driveshaft is not hard to fab... 2hrs labor. Just remember custom work... custom labor.
Old 11-19-01, 05:08 PM
CamryRR
Rookie

Default Re: about right

Originally posted by v300

A VVT-i based 2JZ-GTE with a tranny at $4,407.67 (US) is a bargain. The remaing question is does it come with the wiring harness (uncinched) and the ECU? If it does its a bargain... if not its close to market value. Regarding boost... I think you use the word in the wrong context. But based on the stock ECU and fuel system of a JZS161 you can push 1.3bar reliably and anymore is dangerous for the ceramic wheel CT20s. The engine can hold 750 horsepower at the crank regardless without rebuilding the bottom end. As for putting a Supra TT Automatic's ECU on this engine will not work. Different sensors and the intake cam is dependent on the Aristo ECU. But for the JZS14# go with the first generation because everything is basically plug and play. Driveshaft is not hard to fab... 2hrs labor. Just remember custom work... custom labor.
Well the engine come with the harness but no ECU,Im not palnning on keeping the stock twin turbos so i would like to get more power then just 750HP i would like more like 850HP when im finished .For now im not even sure i can stick with the stock twin turbos cause they will be hitting the firewall right?I know im asking for alot but i want to have a Supra equivalent without having the crazy insurance payments.Ok so your telling me i stick with a stock ECU and tranny just with a 2jz-gte ,or that i got to find a JZS14 ecu from japan too hook up to my ecu harness.Also is the ECU apart from the Tranny cotroll or is that all the same ECU that does that too??
Old 11-20-01, 11:54 AM
v300
Lead Lap

On tech side: the ECU designated for the 4-speed has control/relay for the tranny. You can't use manual on ECU designated under automatic.

Seriously, it is going to be pretty hard getting 850hp on stock fuel on streetable car. The 4-speed tranny will cook and slip after a weeks driving... I don't care how big your tranny cooler and Flex-Lite fans are. Yes you need the stock ECU, HKS VPC/GCC-II combo, fuel rail, 890cc injectors, twin bosche fuel pumps, an additional fuel cell. Unless you plan to build the bottom end the 2JZ-GTE cannot handle reliably over 750ps. At that powerlevel, most people don't talk about this but the harmonic balancer behind the pulley is not designed for such power. If you want to "live" I suggest you get larger Brembo or AP Racing Brakes. I think you have to be more realistic in what you are asking for. I think 450hp to the ground is way more than enough for most people. Unless you want to make your car a drag car then I suggest you remove all the weight in your car, install countermeasures such as chromoly roll cage and wheelie bar.
Old 11-20-01, 09:24 PM
CamryRR
Rookie

Smile Thanx

Originally posted by v300
On tech side: the ECU designated for the 4-speed has control/relay for the tranny. You can't use manual on ECU designated under automatic.

Seriously, it is going to be pretty hard getting 850hp on stock fuel on streetable car. The 4-speed tranny will cook and slip after a weeks driving... I don't care how big your tranny cooler and Flex-Lite fans are. Yes you need the stock ECU, HKS VPC/GCC-II combo, fuel rail, 890cc injectors, twin bosche fuel pumps, an additional fuel cell. Unless you plan to build the bottom end the 2JZ-GTE cannot handle reliably over 750ps. At that powerlevel, most people don't talk about this but the harmonic balancer behind the pulley is not designed for such power. If you want to "live" I suggest you get larger Brembo or AP Racing Brakes. I think you have to be more realistic in what you are asking for. I think 450hp to the ground is way more than enough for most people. Unless you want to make your car a drag car then I suggest you remove all the weight in your car, install countermeasures such as chromoly roll cage and wheelie bar.
Im planning on making this into a semi race car for show and for speed.Im planning on doing alot of mods on the car but my goal would be a 400 to start then go up to what ever is safe for the car depending on the mods i do.I have seen some auto supra's that have 800WHp and they have special trannys i guess.I got alot planned for the car but first i just want to get all the info i need and save for the parts too.Im probably not going to go to radical with the car until i have enough money to actualy build it safe and fast.Thanx for all the info your one good guy who knows alot about this stuff .
Old 11-20-01, 11:45 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

V300, I have to ask, how in the world did you put in a turbo and pass smog in CA? I have been trying to figure out how to mod my GS engine for a reasonable amount of $$ and have it pass smog. I would love to turbo it in the future.

Can you give any tips?

Thanks.
Old 11-23-01, 10:22 PM
v300
Lead Lap

hahaha... propritary infomation. But it can be done and with flying colors... only catch is there is a strange looking cooler in front of your car which might hinder the visual.
Old 11-23-01, 11:37 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by meanboy
V300, I have to ask, how in the world did you put in a turbo and pass smog in CA? I have been trying to figure out how to mod my GS engine for a reasonable amount of $$ and have it pass smog. I would love to turbo it in the future.

Can you give any tips?

Thanks.
just replace the turbo manifold with a regular header so you have a turbo setup in the engine bay but it's not hooked up and isn't working hahaha ahahahahaha haha yah that might work.
Old 11-24-01, 12:45 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for sharing.

Righty now, I am cruising the JC Whitney catalog for the parts you guys suggested.
Old 12-23-01, 10:19 AM
Slick Lex Coupe
Driver

I know I'm late to this post, but I don't come here much. Instead of spending all that money to swap in the 2jzgte you should just find a nice low mileage example and turbo the stock 2jzge. With just a thicker head gasket, fuel system, tranny work, and a nice size turbo you can hit over 500hp to the wheels on the stock engine.
Old 01-02-02, 07:37 PM
CamryRR
Rookie

Default Head swaping ??

Has anybody tryed to convert a 2jz-ge to a gte head and internals??I was thinking of that the other day when i seen both short blocks at my friends shop,they both look very close.
Old 01-03-02, 09:59 AM
v300
Lead Lap

CamryRR,

Try Jarrett at Powerhouse Racing.
Old 01-03-02, 10:49 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anybody tryed to convert a 2jz-ge to a gte head and internals??I was thinking of that the other day when i seen both short blocks at my friends shop,they both look very close.
Would that work???
Old 01-07-02, 07:43 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope, the GTE head won't fit on the GE block... The GE head will fit a GTE block, though.... Like the other post said, why not just turbo the GE? It holds just about as much power, will save the headache of a complete swap. Toyomoto in Miami has done GS300s, SC300s, IS300s, all with luck. You just have to tell him how fast you wanna go. Parts only pricing (a guess) for 350-450rwhp $7000-$9000. 450-600rwhp $9000-$12000. 600-800rwhp $18000. A T60-1 or SP60 will be good up to 500rwhp. An SP63 would be good for 600rwhp, a T72 for 650.
The electronics needed for the VVTI and OBDII vehicles aren't too much... Lance typically will use a Haltech E6k.

As soon as our lease is up, we're gonna exchange our GS400 for a GS300.
Old 01-11-02, 09:28 AM
minh
Pole Position

www.autonetperformance.com has a totomoto kit to turbo the gs300/sc300 for $5500. I assume that's without installation. They also have the f-max kit www.f-max.com for the same price. I was told that with tuning and enough fuel, the bottom end should handle 25PSI without any problems.
Old 01-16-02, 01:59 PM
CamryRR
Rookie

Question Fmax kit ..

How many of you guys actualy have a fmax turbo kit and do you think it is good enough to be upgraded to 500WHP output.i know it will take new injectors and a bunch of electronics but can it be done using the same turbo manifold and stuff.

Quick Reply: 2jz-gte 1993 Gs300 can it be done..