Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2jz-gte 1993 Gs300 can it be done..

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-01, 07:11 AM
CamryRR
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2jz-gte 1993 Gs300 can it be done..

Hi guys i was woundering if i could drop a 2jz-gte twin turbo into an automatic Gs300 if i get the tranny swapped out at the same time.Its hard to find a 5spd GS300 here and its imposible to find a sc300 cause the never sold any here in Canada.After working on my project SC400 for a week i find that it might be better to sell it off to my friend and just get a nice 1993 GS300 and swap in a nice 2jz-gte with a single T88 turbo.Anyways thanx alot in advance for the info , i hope its possible.
Old 11-18-01, 07:16 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have a member here at clublexus, JZS147, that had a 2JZ-GTE engine in his 1st gen GS300.
Better ask him if it is an easy swap.
Old 11-18-01, 09:45 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it is possible yes im also in Canada if you are ever comingto toronto give me a hollar!
Old 11-18-01, 06:18 PM
00'Si-in-red
Driver School Candidate

i just asked this same question on the suprafourms page. i wanna know too, cuz i dont like the looks of the SC300 and id rather try the swap into a GS. i would put a single turbo on it too, but not a T88.....kinda high hopes there buddy
Old 11-18-01, 06:46 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nah man, not high hopes, the 2JZ is one of the only engines that can use a T88 but if you harness its power its very good, street use would behard but its possible
Old 11-18-01, 07:15 PM
00'Si-in-red
Driver School Candidate

sure you can slap one on, but who wants to wait around all day for the turbo to finally spool up? id say the biggest id go with for a DD is something like a SP63, anything over T72 is too much lag for me........

but does anyone know the guy that did the swap? im really wondering what kinda a problems and difficulty he had.
Old 11-18-01, 08:08 PM
CamryRR
Rookie

Smile NOS will compensate for lag.. :)

If i canot fit a T88 i will try and get a HKS Twin kit and modify it to fit in the GS.But from what i hear that will be a rear pain cause i will need to relocate some parts but i hope not.I found a page about the conversion. http://www.toysport.com/new%20articl...IN%20TURBO.htm
Old 11-18-01, 09:03 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Default Re: NOS will compensate for lag.. :)

Originally posted by CamryRR
If i canot fit a T88 i will try and get a HKS Twin kit and modify it to fit in the GS.But from what i hear that will be a rear pain cause i will need to relocate some parts but i hope not.I found a page about the conversion. http://www.toysport.com/new%20articl...IN%20TURBO.htm
CamryRR,

Toysport are shaddy con-artists. It's ran by Joel Luz. He only has two mechanics (one true mechanic) working in the bay and the place looks like a junkyard (literally). The guy spends his entire day sitting in front of his computer doing ????. It was once credible when Joji Luz (his younger, dependable, honest brother)ran the place. The guy freaking takes deposits 4-5 weeks before starting on your project and delivers 3-4months behind schedule. The GS with the 2JZ-GTE w/ the 2835s doesn't crank but it rolls real well... I helpped push that car a couple of times.

In regards to the T88... you can fit it on no problem. I just want to know why you need so much air with a T-88? I think a T-78 is more than enough of a turbo. If you do stick with the T-88, I recommend you to change to a smaller exhaust housing (.58 A/R)though. Also, I think turbo lag is highly overstated... regardless in city driving your car will be running under vacuum conditions regardless unles running the two dinky CT20s. In a quarter mile drag or a rolling 60 mph shoot out do you think a properly tuned inline-6 cylinder equipped w/ a T-88 will under perform one w/ a T-72 or even a SP-63 (Garrett T62-1 wheel!!!). I think not... highly depends on the proper gear selection. However, you can never go wrong w/ two turbos... I personally seen excellent results with twin TD06 turbos on a 2JZGTE.

Last edited by v300; 11-18-01 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-18-01, 09:27 PM
CamryRR
Rookie

Smile

Well thanx for the tip on that place,i was just looking for people that had done the swap and as i can see you have it.What i realy want to know is how much work goes into this project and do i have to weld or bend anything??I have done many other engine swaps on Hondas but never a Toyota.I would also like to know how much this would all cost to get done at another shop other then that one??
The T88 is just a example of what i would want to do .I know its too much but i love just thinking about that beast.What are you running and will it be a big problem to have the swap done on an auto tranny when i want to go 6SPD??
As you can see i got tons of questions and im very deceided on this swap(Supra is way too expensive for a 21 year old ).
Old 11-18-01, 09:51 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Originally posted by CamryRR
What i realy want to know is how much work goes into this project and do i have to weld or bend anything??I have done many other engine swaps on Hondas but never a Toyota.I would also like to know how much this would all cost to get done at another shop other then that one? The T88 is just a example of what i would want to do. I know its too much but i love just thinking about that beast. What are you running and will it be a big problem to have the swap done on an auto tranny when i want to go 6SPD? As you can see i got tons of questions and im very deceided on this swap(Supra is way too expensive for a 21 year old ).
Camry RR,

Area51 Fabrications, SP Engineering, XS-Engineering, AEBS are my Trump cards for these types of procedures. Private message JZS147. He has a 1997 (+/-) GS300 with 2JZ-GTE and 4-speed tranny from Supra TT. On top of that he is running the HKS T04R. Be ready to spend an additional $10,000 on top of your car.

I am running the 2000 2JZ-GTE (the 333lb torque one) and a T04R with a .70 A/R exhaust housing done by XS-Engineering. Unfortunately I am waiting on a piggyback fuel/timing computer to accomodate larger injectors so I can up my boost.
Old 11-18-01, 10:02 PM
CamryRR
Rookie

Smile Thanx alot guys..

Well that sound like a good deal 10 000$ Us for the swap is not bad for what future mods it opens up.After i get the car i will be back here to ask much more questions.Thanx for your help now atleast i got an estimate.Im probably getting a 1993 Auto GS300 and then i will call these places to see how much money they would charge me for the swap.
Btw how do you find you new engine is it what you wanted and is it the VVTI version.I can get a VVTI 2jz-gte for cheaper then a n/VVTI why is that ?
Old 11-18-01, 11:12 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Default Re: Thanx alot guys..

CamryRR,

What's your cost for a 97.8+ 2JZ-GTE. By this I mean a VVT-i version. You're probably the first person that told me that he can get a VVT-i version cheaper than a non VVT-i. Usually it's the other way around... in stock variation the VVT-i version is much more advance than the non VVT-i version and is futhermore rare in availability.
Old 11-19-01, 06:28 AM
00'Si-in-red
Driver School Candidate

maybe this will help, i found this on the supra board
http://www.supraforums.com/supravb/s...857#post117253

they said something about a place in miami, FLA that can do it. i forget the name. but 10K for the swap! thats about perfect, do you think that would include the engine and the stock TT? or what. cuz i really would need to do the SP63 i think.
do you think a place like SP could do it?
Old 11-19-01, 08:49 AM
v300
Lead Lap

I'm sure Larry at Sound Performance can do the swap. Also, the single turbo setup will be less of a headache because you don't have to relocate the ABS system or firewall issues.

Do you know there are two SP's? There's a Speed Pride Engineering in City of Industry, CA and a Sound Performance in IL.

I think the SP63 (Garrett T4, Q-trim, T62-1 wheel, .64 A/R exhaust housing) is a decent street turbo especially if you want to run the stock fuel system and stock torque converter.
Old 11-19-01, 10:22 AM
CamryRR
Rookie

Smile More info please

Hi Guys,well i found a JSpec VVTI 2jz-gte for 7000$ Canadian and that includes an auto tranny.Im not sure i can boost as much on a VVTI version as on a standard US spec one,if not i will try and find an US engine and Ecu for not too expensive but it sounds hard to find.I got a responce from JZS147 and he recomends a US spec engine , he also told me his swap was around 20grand so that seems like alot of money for a Canadian .JZS147 also told me about the tranny shaft problem ,he oil pan and turbo pipe stuff so that is not too hard to get done.I know aplace in Canada that might be able to do the swap for me http://www.japanese-auto.com located in Toronto area and the guy who runs this place is a toyota maniac who worked at a Toyota dealership for 25years.

Quick Reply: 2jz-gte 1993 Gs300 can it be done..