Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-07, 08:11 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by c0wboy
That's true of any aftermarket intake manifold. As said there are tradeoffs. It's up top where this manifold will shine. This is a stepping stone to making more HP and getting rid of the restrictive stock intake manifold.

I personally feel that the 1/2/3uz isn't even on the same planet with the 2jz in terms of performance right now. Isn't time we change that??

Eric
It is nice to see the effort being made to make more power. If this is to help the 2UZFE at high rpm then that makes some sense. However, the VVti versions of the 1UZFE and 3UZFE both have dual lenth runner manifolds stock. The picture below shows the inside top of the stock vvti intake. The valves open at around 4400rpm if the throttle is at least 80%. This shortens the intake runners by about half. The design you show shortens them again by around 6 inches. For it to be effective the stock runners would need to be restrictive or the ram tunning effect be better at the shorter length for the cam profile and the RPM.

Lexus could have programmed the butterflies to open at any RPM and throttle. That they do not below 4400rpm suggests that more power is made with the longer runners below that rpm. I believe that power will be hurt below probably 5000rpm with the plenum design you have built.

Now, on a 2uz without vvti and without the butterflies in the intake AND with longer runners than the 1 and 3uz... you may pick up power above say 4000rpm compared to the stock 2uz intake.

Regardless, nice to see parts being built. Let us know how it performs once in use.
Attached Thumbnails Intake Manifold-inside-intake-top-2.jpg  
Old 03-06-07, 09:24 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Again, this is just a stepping stone to more HP production. Items like VVt-I aftermarket camshafts, twin turbo kits, stroker kits, etc are all supporting characters in making the power. While the intake pictured above is a marvel of engineering, it's still not suited to make the power levels we're after.

I understand what you are saying about shorter runners affecting HP/TQ however it's sometimes it's a case of you have to give to get. Even if the V8 N/A with no other mods sacrifies a bit of low end, I believe that it'll more than make up for it on the top end. During accelleration onto a freeway onramp, most of the RPM's will be in the upper regions anyways. That's where a manifold like this really shines.

Personally though I an very impressed with the Toyota V8's. I believe that they need to be developed and made to deliver the goods much like the 2jz. I'm all about the performance of the 1/2/3uz. 800+rwhp kind of performance.

Thanks man!

Eric
Old 03-07-07, 04:42 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm glad to see you guys trying to develop stuff for the 3uz.

I'd love to see this stuff work out to make a bad ***, NA GS430.

A cam, intake and headers designed for a stout, NA 3uz would be sweet. I'd love to make my car an all motor 400hp GS without the pita of FI.
Old 03-15-07, 07:10 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrady
I hate to rain on anyones parade... but... that manifold will dramatically reduce driveability and low RPM power and response. High RPM power could possibly be increased but probably not much. For a high RPM ONLY application this could have merit. For a street driver there is definitely tradeoffs.

That's true of any aftermarket intake manifold. As said there are tradeoffs. It's up top where this manifold will shine. This is a stepping stone to making more HP and getting rid of the restrictive stock intake manifold.

I personally feel that the 1/2/3uz isn't even on the same planet with the 2jz in terms of performance right now. Isn't time we change that??

Eric

I'm late to the thread but I'm with Jay for the same reasons he mentions and more.

I wouldn't run this manifold if it was given to me.

Old 03-15-07, 08:22 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Originally Posted by BA_GS400
I'm late to the thread but I'm with Jay for the same reasons he mentions and more.

Then I guess you're in luck because it won't be given to you. If you don't like it that's fine.. go build something better.

Eric

Last edited by c0wboy; 03-15-07 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-16-07, 06:34 AM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Eric hasn't done any testing on this manifold yet so I wouldn't rule it out yet. It's very clear that this manifold is designed for the FI group. Eric, if you decided to test this unit against the stocker let me know.
JPI

Last edited by JPI Racing; 03-16-07 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-16-07, 11:59 AM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JPI
It's very clear that this manifold is designed for the FI group. JPI
That's my point. And, clear to you perhaps, but the manifold was not presented that way.
I would expect some data to be posted up such as the comparison to a stock manifold, CFM flow numbers, a dyno run, etc. THEN people have something to base a decision upon.

Kevin might be the greatest guy around but the post is misleading and useless.
The manifold allows more airflow into the motor, and we all know that more equals more horsepower. This manifold is guaranteed to flow 25% more than the stock manifold, and is guaranteed to set your GS apart in both looks and horsepower.
First sentence: WRONG!!! More airflow does NOT always mean more HP.
2nd sentence: MISLEADING. Any engine guy worth his salt knows that the SIZE of the intake runner (much like the exhaust, right JBrady?) is crucial to building a well balanced, top-performing engine.

Kevin never mentions that it's better for an FI engine over a mostly stock engine. Someone else did, but the poster of the product needs to say stuff like that.
I actually have some doubts that the manifold would even give decent driveability on an FI 4.0 motor. Racing?? SURE! Race the hell out of it. But vendors should be clear on these things up front, who the market audience is, and data on expected results after installation.

There are too many people who do know know what makes a good part or a bad part for improving their Horsepower/Torque for their driving needs.
The people that DO know, like yourself too JPI, need to help ensure that misleading info isn't taken as gospel. I think people here put a lot of trust in guys like JPI and TMEngineering, and the long, long standing members like DAVEGS4.

This isn't meant as an attack on you JPI because I wholeheartedly trust your shop and you do wonderful things for the guys on this board.

I have nothing against Kevin or his shop either, but, we don't want people to blindly jump on a product just because someone says "we all know more airflow equals more power!". It's misleading.

End Rant.
Old 03-16-07, 01:05 PM
c0wboy
Banned

I would expect some data to be posted up such as the comparison to a stock manifold, CFM flow numbers, a dyno run, etc. THEN people have something to base a decision upon.
Hence the use of the "sneak peak". It's a prelude of what's to come, not an advertisement. Notice no pricing was given nor was a link to either a GB or sale. Fwiw, our last manifold flowed 29% more than a cumbersome restrictive stock intake.

First sentence: WRONG!!! More airflow does NOT always mean more HP.
Not always, but for the most part yes it does when balanced with velocity. Especially for the FI crowd which this manifold is catering towards.

][2nd sentence: MISLEADING. Any engine guy worth his salt knows that the SIZE of the intake runner (much like the exhaust, right JBrady?) is crucial to building a well balanced, top-performing engine.
True, and since when has the 1uz-fe VVt-I been a top performing engine? So far it's been good for nothing more than a door stop or a boot scrape. It's been the slower sluggish brother to the hot headed 2jz. We want to change that perception, this is one of the steps in doing so.

I actually have some doubts that the manifold would even give decent driveability on an FI 4.0 motor. Racing?? SURE! Race the hell out of it. But vendors should be clear on these things up front, who the market audience is, and data on expected results after installation.
Testing is in the works, however let me make this very clear. We are under NO obligation to provide any data relating to the performance of this manifold. This is an offroad use only item as far as we are concerned. Rarely in our realm is true back to back testing done on items such as this. However we are willing test although we are in no way under the gun to do so.

There are too many people who do know know what makes a good part or a bad part for improving their Horsepower/Torque for their driving needs.
Fwiw, we come from the 2jz world. I myself drove a 4 digit HP Supra daily for years and now I am building a 4.7LTT to swap into my new MKIV. Where do you think the Lexus V8/V160 adpaters came from? I don't armchair quarterback and I don't like keep this V8 community down. I'm in it all the way. So instead of shooting across our bow, please be patient and we will release official data on this piece.

Eric
Old 03-16-07, 04:19 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Point made.

I brought to light the things I wanted to bring to light for those that need to know. If it's sold as an 'off-road' piece, all the better.
The 4.0L engine is a bear to work with, but it's far from a dog.

Good Luck with the new product.

Old 03-17-07, 04:10 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,333 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Reading this I was trying to understand why you even posted here at all.

If you would not run it, whats your point in coming in with negativity to someone else's idea and work. They never even got off the ground with it and you seem to be bent out of shape about it like you sent money in for it and it did not work, kinda like they owe you something.

Giv'em a break with the Drama. This is why there is so little performance aftermarket for the 1UZ vs. the 1JZ/2JZ ! Hope you don't mind if they test it on a car.
Old 03-17-07, 04:41 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

my god jgscott.

Did you not see a string of enthusiastic responses to an initial post that did not even contain target useage or application info?

Have you no concern at all for your board member brothers buying into a product without knowing how it will affect their actual driveability?
You know people do it. SRT Intake, Headers, Torque convertors, Supra rear-ends, all that good stuff. There are a lot of "non-gearhead" people on this board that will buy something without knowing (truly) the effects of it.

As I said, I brought to light the things that the original post did not, and they are VERY important things to know, that is all. I guess you don't even see that.

If you read the thread, you'd see that JB has the same concerns, he's just never been as direct as I will be. You just chose to single me out.

"I hate to rain on anyones parade... but... that manifold will dramatically reduce driveability and low RPM power and response. High RPM power could possibly be increased but probably not much. For a high RPM ONLY application this could have merit. For a street driver there is definitely tradeoffs"
Old 03-17-07, 05:04 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Originally Posted by jgscott
They never even got off the ground with it.....
We're getting there We want to revise it a little and then get to testing. But JGScott is right though. There's not much out there for the 1/2/3uz compared to the 1jz/2jz. Just intake pipes and headers. Oddly enough, there's an endless cavalcade of body kits and wheels. We'd like to change that but we can only do it with community support.

Eric
Old 03-17-07, 05:07 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,333 Likes on 1,059 Posts

my god jgscott.

Did you not see a string of enthusiastic responses to an initial post that did not even contain target useage or application info?

Have you no concern at all for your board member brothers buying into a product without knowing how it will affect their actual driveability?
You know people do it. SRT Intake, Headers, Torque convertors, Supra rear-ends, all that good stuff. There are a lot of "non-gearhead" people on this board that will buy something without knowing (truly) the effects of it.

As I said, I brought to light the things that the original post did not, and they are VERY important things to know, that is all. I guess you don't even see that.

If you read the thread, you'd see that JB has the same concerns, he's just never been as direct as I will be. You just chose to single me out.

"I hate to rain on anyones parade... but... that manifold will dramatically reduce driveability and low RPM power and response. High RPM power could possibly be increased but probably not much. For a high RPM ONLY application this could have merit. For a street driver there is definitely tradeoffs"
My God me ???? Did you read your own long previous post ? I did.

What test data do you have ? Seems like you hopped on the" me too " Drama Train. Like I said giv'em a Break til its tested on a car.

You haven't even seen the thing in person and you've already shot it down and done a test review write up on it.
Old 03-17-07, 05:15 PM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talk about some negative people on here. All I see are "If this and if that, I believe" etc. Obviously it is in development and we all have to start somewhere.
Man I sure didn't expect this forum to turn like a honda forum where people had to prove something and they were God gifted at engine modding. Lets get some numbers on it and we'll see what happens.
Old 03-17-07, 08:55 PM
sbgs400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We're getting there We want to revise it a little and then get to testing. But JGScott is right though. There's not much out there for the 1/2/3uz compared to the 1jz/2jz. Just intake pipes and headers. Oddly enough, there's an endless cavalcade of body kits and wheels. We'd like to change that but we can only do it with community support.

Eric
that's great, but i think one thing that you'll have to watch out for is the pricing. i think one of the reasons more folks haven't done more is the price performance ratio is not very good. take for instance your 6 speed adapters, i would absolutely love to have a 6 speed. but after totalling up the costs to get it done it's much more cost effective to take those dollars plus the sale price of the GS4 and buy an M5 (or something similar) which will beat the GS in every performance aspect.

not criticisizing, just providing some feedback...

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold