Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Any more info on the Injen intake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-07 | 04:51 AM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

Default Any more info on the Injen intake?

Was searching through the old threads but never saw the dynos or other evidence that backs up Injen's claims of 17-19HP+ increase.

And I saw that the test car had some dynos but they were never posted. I think a combo Injen + exhaust dyno was posted showing a 19 HP increase but thats with 2 parts and I'd expect a little more with both mods in place.

Any info would be appreciated since I'm looking to upgrade but it looks like my trusty JoeZ is staying put.

George
Old 03-14-07 | 05:35 AM
okiaristo
Pole Position

i dont think any intake helps that much. the SRI/Exh combo does. i had an injen on my Aristo and never felt much of a diff. i think the MPG was a little better. i would stay put ang get the exhuast
Old 04-09-07 | 04:00 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Curious about this guy too.... Hows the sound and would it really have any effect on a 250 auto?
Old 04-09-07 | 05:43 PM
lexus250
Pole Position

I had posted two dyno sheets, one with stock numbers and the other with the two mods (injen intake and HKS exhaust) i think the intake is what made the difference not the exhaust.....it was an increase of about 12 rwhp...not bad i think
Old 04-13-07 | 11:30 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Originally Posted by CoasterG
Was searching through the old threads but never saw the dynos or other evidence that backs up Injen's claims of 17-19HP+ increase.

And I saw that the test car had some dynos but they were never posted. I think a combo Injen + exhaust dyno was posted showing a 19 HP increase but thats with 2 parts and I'd expect a little more with both mods in place.

Any info would be appreciated since I'm looking to upgrade but it looks like my trusty JoeZ is staying put.

George
I'm in the same boat. I'm ready to buy an upgraded intake kit and I spent many hours today looking at dyno sheets and comparing all the available intake systems for the IS350. The Injen system with MR Technology is relatively new and I was hoping to find dyno sheets to verify the company's claim but I am unsuccessful so far.
Old 04-13-07 | 02:43 PM
2SwiFt29
Lexus Test Driver

had the Fujita and just installed the Injen intake.. the Fujita was def one of the quieter intakes but once WOT, it had a nice deep sound.. the pipe on the Injen is different with the wider pipe towards the throttle body and then near the filter.. after a drive, i can feel the better response with the Injen.. after experiencing both, the Injen definitely felt a little, just a little faster than the Fujita since intakes don't really make much difference IMO the sound is def louder at WOT than Fujita with a much more deeper sound.. the only problem was that Fujita had a better fitment where the air sensor went and Injen was a little off..
Old 04-16-07 | 08:08 PM
Jeff777
Driver School Candidate

Pick up any tuner mag and you will see that neighborhood of hp increase, on dyno. I saw one today with more from the intake than the exhaust. With both exhaust and intake about 12-13% increase if i remember what i read. That seems to be the case in most cars so why wouldnt be in ours?
Old 04-16-07 | 08:11 PM
Jeff777
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexus250
I had posted two dyno sheets, one with stock numbers and the other with the two mods (injen intake and HKS exhaust) i think the intake is what made the difference not the exhaust.....it was an increase of about 12 rwhp...not bad i think
Thats what i saw on two dyno sheets today, on two different cars
Old 04-16-07 | 09:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Jeff777
Pick up any tuner mag and you will see that neighborhood of hp increase, on dyno. I saw one today with more from the intake than the exhaust. With both exhaust and intake about 12-13% increase if i remember what i read. That seems to be the case in most cars so why wouldnt be in ours?
36 to 39 hp from exhaust and intake? Really? Have you done this stuff yourself or is this what you have gleaned from the magazine boys?

Having done a bit of this in the real world, I'd be skeptical of anything more than about 10hp for both on a 300 hp Toyota. I don't know how many Toyotas you've owned or wrenched on, but IME, intakes on Toyotas are more about sound than anything. If you want to make real power, you'll have to dig a lot deeper and have a much better understanding of what to modify and how to modify it if you expect 12 - 13%.

Expect to start with something like this:

Continue with something like this:

Then do it as many times as there are cylinders:

Then, you'll need to work the valves and cut the seats properly and match the manifolds to your changes, cc the combustion chambers to match them as equally as possible in volume, and set the deck height for the right squish (typically about 0.035") and you might get into the realm of 12 - 13%.

And no, these pics are not from someone else's site. They're my pics of my work.
Old 04-17-07 | 08:15 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Intake won't make power on this car period. You may get 1-3hp gain by modifying the stock intake, but all the rest IMHO are just sound makers.

Exhaust on the other hand you can get a few ponies out of it. Expect 3-7hp with a resonator back exhaust. Pull the rear set of cats and I think there is "probably" another 5hp to gain.

Besides intake/exhaust, Lobux is pointing you in a good direction, but for the cost/gain it's probably not worth the time and effort unless the engine was toasted and needs rebuilt anyway.
Old 04-17-07 | 09:08 AM
Chaser07
Driver

Default Injen Intake w/ Dyno IS350

Originally Posted by redspencer
I'm in the same boat. I'm ready to buy an upgraded intake kit and I spent many hours today looking at dyno sheets and comparing all the available intake systems for the IS350. The Injen system with MR Technology is relatively new and I was hoping to find dyno sheets to verify the company's claim but I am unsuccessful so far.
I'm hung over at work so I hope this all makes sense...

I forgot to dyno my car before I put my Injen Short Ram intake on, which I just bought 3 weeks ago, but it Dyno'd out at 255whp.(75-80 degrees) I'm tempted to take it off and see what the stock one does. I can tell a little bit of a difference but not enough to make up for how much MORE GAS that I'm using up. Some of you might want to rethink about buying an intake, basically all you're getting is sound and a few whp.

Random facts: I beat a Supercharged S-Type Jag yesterday...(The cheaper/smaller Model, but still supercharged.)
SRT-10 Dodge truck,
Five 350z's(all of them having different stuff done to them)
and a few Mustangs...(Loud but slow)

Haven't lost yet but the 350z's were the closest races...Bout 1-1.5 car lengths
Old 04-17-07 | 04:57 PM
Jeff777
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jeff777
I was way off on my numbers. A couple of mags boasted an increase of about 12hp with intake and another 8-9 hp with catback. I agree I wouldnt expect more than 10 with an intake if even that. My gas milage went down with other intakes, so I think thats a bit of false advertisement saying it improves. Its been awhile since I dug deeper to get a better understanding, except with finishing med school, residency and starting my own practice. Now I would like to get back to autos in my free time.
Old 04-17-07 | 05:03 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Those advertised numbers are all false or they manipulate the numbers and tell you it's 20+hp. What they fail to tell you is that 20hp gain is only at 2900rpm or something to that nature and the rest of the power could be lower than stock where it really counts. Basically it's best to get dyno information from an independent tester or see what the quickest 1/4 mile runs are done with on dragtimes.com
Old 04-17-07 | 06:13 PM
Jeff777
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by caymandive
Those advertised numbers are all false or they manipulate the numbers and tell you it's 20+hp. What they fail to tell you is that 20hp gain is only at 2900rpm or something to that nature and the rest of the power could be lower than stock where it really counts. Basically it's best to get dyno information from an independent tester or see what the quickest 1/4 mile runs are done with on dragtimes.com
Damn them to hell. Anything for a buck.