Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo Build Diary

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-07, 07:10 PM
IGGYWOOWOO
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow Jeff, you have done an excellent job documneting your setup. What are your power goals? Will the stock drive train handle what you are doing? FWIW, I have the flange you seek, but am in Austin.

Brandon
Old 03-19-07, 10:33 PM
jineration
Driver School Candidate

what a long day i helped jeff again with his build wait till u see the pics we took ALOT of ghetto riggin lmao but in the end we finally started the car yall gotta see the pics when he post them
Old 03-20-07, 12:36 AM
milky
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so jeff, where are the pix?
Old 03-20-07, 07:56 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Wow Wow Wow!
Old 03-20-07, 08:01 AM
Joe C
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joe C
I'm going to be e-mailing Boomslang in regards to the 98-01 GS to see if they could either build a harness, or if the 01+ will work. Does anyone know if it would?
Well, I got an e-mail back from Boomslang:
Joe,

Yes, the 1998 GS300 uses the same harness as the 2001 IS300.

Regards,
Rustin
Boomslang Fabrication
Looks like I found another part I will be ordering soon!
Old 03-20-07, 01:16 PM
milky
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I got an e-mail back from Boomslang:

Looks like I found another part I will be ordering soon!
Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Haha, no way man lol. I would of if i could. Those connectors are pretty much impossible to source. I have no idea how the heck they got them. I bought it from Boomslang fabrication. They don't have one specifically listed for 02+ GS300, but it's the exact same one as for the 02+ IS300. I just ordered the IS harness. It is a bit pricey at $200, but well worth it if I don't have to hack into the stock wiring.
Old 03-20-07, 04:14 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 98mkiv
Jeff, this is an amazing writeup, thanks for sharing it at clubna-t as well!

Check your PM, I have something for you.
Hey Mark... i told you it was a great write up...

joe they carry it for the IS. It's the same harness for the GS as Jeff stated. I spoke with them several months ago when I was looking for the PNP for the Greddy Emanage Ultimate.

Hey Jeff it was cool talking to you the other day. If you need anything just give me a ring.

Last edited by GSoup; 03-21-07 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-20-07, 05:59 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Got the turbo up and running. Was street tuning it for a bit lol. Running right off the downpipe with no exhaust...pretty damn loud lol. I'll get some pix and vids posted up.

BTW: I ghetto f'kin rigged the oil flanges lol. NOTE to everyone, buy Function7 flanges only. Don't get any cheap POS flanges. Both of my oil flanges on the turbo broke off lol.
Old 03-20-07, 06:18 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

awesome, once again great write up. i am so envious
Old 03-20-07, 09:15 PM
Eminence
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Got the turbo up and running. Was street tuning it for a bit lol. Running right off the downpipe with no exhaust...pretty damn loud lol. I'll get some pix and vids posted up.

BTW: I ghetto f'kin rigged the oil flanges lol. NOTE to everyone, buy Function7 flanges only. Don't get any cheap POS flanges. Both of my oil flanges on the turbo broke off lol.
A flange is a flange, but the function7 is a machined billet alumimum compared to the cracked one which seems to be a casted aluminum.

Secondly, I am Curious to know how the XS power downpipe connects to the GS exhaust. I had problem with a buddy's Supra had to cut and reweld but nothing major.

Further, I am going to say your option to run the Apexi Neo is a bad choice of engine management for the complicated Toyota ECU. You will eventually run into relearning issues. A few of the IS300 tuners have opt to go standalone route now because of the relearning issues involved with piggy backing onto the stock ECU. Someone mentioned Greddy Emanage Plug and Play. Seriously with the money spent, get a Haltech f10x; it's reasonable in pricing for a fuel control only.

As for inquiries about a plug and plug Ultimate, you can check out IS300.Net as they have it for sale in their store. http://store.my.is/store/customer/home.php?cat=8

Last edited by Eminence; 03-20-07 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-20-07, 09:19 PM
Joe C
Lexus Test Driver

^^In regards to above, what about running the splitsec esc1? Wouldn't that allow it to run in open loop therefore pushing off the re-learning process? Also, where abouts in MA are you from Eminance? Don't hear of any Lexus people in MA...
Old 03-20-07, 10:16 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Drove to a car meet tonight and messed with a few other cars on the way lol. Boost is running great. It's surprisingly good in fact. Idles perfect and boost is very linear with no bogging. My big *** turbo has quite a bit of lag though lol. Doesn't hit boost until around 3500RPM. I'll get vids up sometime tomorrow or the day after that. Boost is a little high for stock motor, but that will be fixed when I get my new wastegate spring. I have a few very minor oil leaks from the ghetto rigged flange right now, but that will be addressed when the new flanges comes in this week.

As for running the SAFC NEO...it's running pretty nicely. If you cut the water temperature sensor wire (cold engine mode), it will force the ecu to run in closed loop mode only. Thus relying on sensors only (SAFC + WidebandO2 output) and it will not learn to it's own internal maps. This is only feasable if you have all the critical sensors in place. EGT, O2, and Boost. I kept my eye on all the stuff and so far nothing has strayed from what I tuned it to. Again, you can only do this if you have very precise sensors that can react quickly enough. Eventually I'm gonna go with a different system, but for running 5-6PSI of boost the SAFC is great.
Old 03-21-07, 01:45 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

do you plan to swap a transmission or rebuild the current one?
Old 03-21-07, 10:08 AM
Eminence
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

^^In regards to above, what about running the splitsec esc1? Wouldn't that allow it to run in open loop therefore pushing off the re-learning process? Also, where abouts in MA are you from Eminance? Don't hear of any Lexus people in MA...
It will work. I am actually an IS300 driver and figured I would chime in since there isn't much a difference with the IS and GS motor and ECU. As for my location,I am 10 mins from Nashua NH.

There are quite a few Lexus guys up in MA that are pretty boosted; atleast 3 that I know including myself. I am currently building up my IS for boost. Another IS owner is building a 500hp monster up in Lexington.

Back to the ECU..There are many ways to work around the ecu relearning issue, as Jeff has said cutting the temp sensor is one way, but in his situation I don't think he needed to.. There are many other methods, but it seems as though guys who have done it still runs into minor complications. There is a GS owner who posted a few on IS300.net, who is running a MAP ECU; for days no issues but now I believe there is a few relearning issues as it takes time for the stock ECU to relearning.

The most popular method that has been used on the IS is splicing the constant 12v into the ECU and throwing a relay in so that the ECU will reset constantly.

The other down fall about running a piggyback, you are limited to the things you can do. Having a full standalone will allow you to have full control over what you want the motor to do. I am not saying that a piggy back won't work at all. I have heard good things and bad things about both world, but I personally wouldn't want to risk driving at full boost and having a piggyback **** the bed.

I spoke to a few guys who use to run the Emanage and switched over to a standalone, they say its the difference between night and day.

Lastly, Jeff, I believe the main reason you are not running into any issues right now is because of you boost level. The stock ECU and fuel can accept up to about 6PSI, but you are pushing the limit. At certain point, if you are running the car hard, you are maxing out your injectors. I am curious to know what are you running for a fuel system?

Last edited by Eminence; 03-21-07 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-21-07, 01:37 PM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

Outstanding work... You are a DIY GURU

Quick Reply: Turbo Build Diary