Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS 350 Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-07, 12:56 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Supershyguy
I wonder if you would feel a huge different. 40HP on a 300HP Car
That 40 HP is just the gain in the peak HP. It could possibly provide more gains elsewhere in the RPM range. I would hope so anyway.
Old 03-30-07, 01:08 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

yes you will feel 40hp on a 300hp car...
Old 03-30-07, 01:28 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

hmmmm 40hp for 5500.00, sounds like a hella deal.
Old 03-30-07, 01:29 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are talking 40 REAR WHEEL hp versus 300 NET hp too. Figure both at the same rating and it would be a bigger percentage gain.
Old 03-30-07, 01:36 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by combfilter
hmmmm 40hp for 5500.00, sounds like a hella deal.
Looking for a smiley here because 40 bhp for $5500 is awful for FI. It's even bad for NA bolt-ons where you're shooting for 1 bhp/$100.

However, it's all that's available now so...
Old 03-30-07, 08:53 PM
newis350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what about the TOM'S racing supercharger. Why are you going with LMS? (aside from the $4K price difference)
Old 03-31-07, 07:40 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gernby
What makes you think the 350 is "so tuned"? I don't think they are at all since they are putting out less than 90 hp per liter. The engines that I would consider "so tuned" are putting out 120 hp per liter in stock trim (S2000).
Because we aren't getting EVEN decent gains out of

Intake/Exhaust.

I'm new to all of this, and are the first one to want to learn.. but from what I have seen with other cars, mainly with V8s and this may be where I am compairing apples with oranges a full cat back exhaust gives 18 to 20 hp, even the intake gives roughly 7 to 10 rwhp to these guys. And this is consistent. You slap a vortech super charger on a new mustang gt and he's picking up over a 100 hp and maybe 80 to 100+ torque with a dyno tune.

Or maybe the existing set up on our cars is just so well its harder to upgrade, much like the new mustang GTs you can slap new exhaust on it but the gains on it aren't as siginificant as lets say a Vette or Camaro due to the fact that what Ford has offered already has almost maximum air flow.

So if simple *bolt ons* don't do the trick then I'd say it's pretty tuned. BTW -- when we get *tuning* modules that come out for these cars, or a handful of options for aftermarket items IE Turbo/Supercharger that show significant gains then.. well I'll be more anxious to throw money away. 3600lbs @ mid 13 sec for being stock and all Motor with roughly 260rwhp at the wheel is awfully mean for being bone stock.

And.. our compression ratio is also so high it limits us to some aspects. = / I hate to sound like such a downer, I love our cars just as much as anybody.. but I am DYING to see actual mods that give us REASONABLE gains. Like I said earlier, perhaps the *tuner* world is not for me if it takes that much effort to pump out 100 more horses. 5500 for what appears to be now 40 hp? I think I would have sold the IS and put that additional 5500 toward a 335i or a Vette where I know I'll get reasonable gains..

And before anyone asks I have the IS as a fun DD that I knew would be a safe investment. Once I get settled my *fast* car will be a C6. Sometimes there just isn't a replacement for displacement.

Ohh I so know I'm going to get flamed and corrected on some things. But I'll accept and move on!
Old 03-31-07, 07:53 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you are talking about the american V8s (Vette, Mustange, Comaro, etc.), you're at the opposite end of the "tuned" range (~60 hp / liter). I think the 350 falls right in the middle of that range, and the gains from bolt-ons also fall in the middle. For example, the gains from $3K worth of the very best bolt ons (intake, header, exhaust, ECU) for an S2000 get you about 15 HP. I feel confident that I've gained at least 15 HP just from my exhaust and Joez pipe ($750).
Old 03-31-07, 07:56 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
When you are talking about the american V8s (Vette, Mustange, Comaro, etc.), you're at the opposite end of the "tuned" range (~60 hp / liter). I think the 350 falls right in the middle of that range, and the gains from bolt-ons also fall in the middle. For example, the gains from $3K worth of the very best bolt ons (intake, header, exhaust, ECU) for an S2000 get you about 15 HP. I feel confident that I've gained at least 15 HP just from my exhaust and Joez pipe ($750).

I agree, I know you gained at least 15hp even if the dyno reads otherwise.
Old 03-31-07, 07:59 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

But that is exactly my point.

When you do something to those cars.. you get decent gains!

You do something to the IS you get minimal and thats the reason why I say our cars are pretty well tuned. Hopefully it makes more sense.

For us to be a V6 and run with newer domestic V8s is rather impressive! I am no way downing what we have.
Old 03-31-07, 08:35 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by newis350
what about the TOM'S racing supercharger. Why are you going with LMS? (aside from the $4K price difference)
Right now, the LMS unit is the only supercharger application compatible with the USDM 2nd gen IS. In order to use the Tom's supercharger, you must have a JDM ECM, or no go.

Javier
Old 03-31-07, 01:23 PM
KMRIS350
Driver

Originally Posted by cancellino
So I have searched the forum and have decided to get the LMS Super Charger for my IS. I have discussed it with the dealership in Las Vegas and they do not have a problem with the mod, in fact they are curiuos. My Service Rep has been trying to demo one. Anyway, before I lay down $5,500 and spend a weekend in California, I'd like to know if anyone has done this. Are you happy with the results. My understanding is that you can gain almost 80 hp at the wheel. Your comments (for or against) are welcome.
Cancellino,
I think you should do what you think best for your pocket book and car. I have researched every supercharger post on the CL and there is a reason that none of the current owners are posting results and pictures. That’s because everyone has major issues with the cost per HP. All I have read is people bashing on the LMS because its not producing as much HP as everyone wants for the money. Who cares! Power is Power! Everyone says they are waiting for something with more power for less money! Well my opinion is most people would not SC the car if it gave them 100hp more. So who cares! The last thing someone wants after spending 5-7k on mods is people bashing his or her decision. Bottom line…After its installed you are going to kick the crap out of any other IS350 on the road.. I have been giving the green light to get it installed I wish you luck!
Old 03-31-07, 02:01 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by al503
Looking for a smiley here because 40 bhp for $5500 is awful for FI. It's even bad for NA bolt-ons where you're shooting for 1 bhp/$100.

However, it's all that's available now so...
Yes i was joking.
Old 03-31-07, 03:58 PM
ddquach
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KMRIS350
Cancellino,
I think you should do what you think best for your pocket book and car. I have researched every supercharger post on the CL and there is a reason that none of the current owners are posting results and pictures. That’s because everyone has major issues with the cost per HP. All I have read is people bashing on the LMS because its not producing as much HP as everyone wants for the money. Who cares! Power is Power! Everyone says they are waiting for something with more power for less money! Well my opinion is most people would not SC the car if it gave them 100hp more. So who cares! The last thing someone wants after spending 5-7k on mods is people bashing his or her decision. Bottom line…After its installed you are going to kick the crap out of any other IS350 on the road.. I have been giving the green light to get it installed I wish you luck!
Well said. One of my buddies has a stock IS350 with just an intake and when he rode in mine. He was like "DAM". I can say this, the car 0-60 times and 1/4 time are good if we can hook up the rear wheels becasue its just spinning the tires on the dyno and street. Havnt taken out to the track yet. Havnt had time. I believe RoRo has the same issue, and its just gettin those dam rear tire to hook up.
Old 04-01-07, 12:19 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KMRIS350
Cancellino,
The last thing someone wants after spending 5-7k on mods is people bashing his or her decision.
I have to admit that this is a very good point. Just because I don't think it's worth the $ or that the bump in power doesn't outweigh the negatives, it certainly doesn't mean it isn't worth it to someone else.

Quick Reply: IS 350 Supercharger