Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo stopped boosting...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-07, 02:02 PM
qlex56
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo stopped boosting...

i was driving along the fwy and when i exit and stopped as i gave it gas i noticed i dont hear the turbo and when i pushed the gas somemore to 3500 rpm no boost , the turbo usually kick in at 3000 rpm, i spoke with mark and he helped me diagnosed the turbo and the turbine spins freely and when the car is on the turbine spin on its own, there are no smoke from exhaust or engine, car drives like stock again meening no boost, i checked all couplers and they are intact, i dont see any oil leeks, Mark thinks its the wastegate , i spoke with Dynoextreme and they said it also might be the waste gate or the catalytic converter, but im not too sure, anyone might have an idea what seems to be the problem?
forgot to mention the car is tuned using safcII and boosting at 7psi.
im located in chino hills cali
thanks
Old 03-29-07, 02:26 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

All fingers point to the wastegate if the turbo itself is fine.
Old 03-29-07, 05:30 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does your wastegate vent to the atmosphere?
Old 03-29-07, 06:27 PM
qlex56
Lead Lap

this is what i was told to buy http://www.splitsec.com/products/esc1/esc1ds.htm splitsec
does anyone know about this product? does it work like map ecu?

the OBD2 ecu was self tuning OUT what the SAFCII had modified. The way around this is to use a split second black box:
Old 03-29-07, 07:00 PM
qlex56
Lead Lap

which would be better to use the greddy emanage or the aem ems
thanks
Old 03-29-07, 09:49 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

AEM EMS of course
Old 03-30-07, 02:36 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah, the EMS is better but it also costs 5X more than the Greddy lol. Make sure you didn't pop off one of the silicone couplers on the intercooler piping. I popped off one of mine a few days ago and the car was getting no boost at all. Just check that first before you go tearing everything down.
Old 03-30-07, 10:32 AM
qlex56
Lead Lap

thanks all the couplers are in tacked, so far alot of poeple thinks im running super lean and that my ecu keeps correcting what the afcII. im not too sure whats closeloop and open loop but i was told i have to run at open loop and splitsec will help do so
Old 03-30-07, 12:43 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

The way your afc is tuned HAS NOTHING to do with your turbo boosting or not.

I don't know where you heard that from. The ONLY way your afc would keep your turbo from boosting is if your car was SO lean that it couldnt build any rpm which obviously isnt the case because you mentioned driving to 3500rpm.

Do you have a boost gauge?
What does it read? 0?
As I asked earlier, Does your wastegate vent to atmosphere?

Last edited by macd7919; 03-30-07 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-30-07, 12:50 PM
nyARISTO
Sunroof Surfer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Booooost leak!......................check ur intercooler pipes! i bet someting is disconnected! it happens all the time feel no more boost check all ur pipes and vacume lines!
Old 03-30-07, 01:12 PM
black_gs99
Lead Lap

i was think the exact samething....you could also use brake cleaner on the hoses to see if/where the leaks/holes are if any~
Old 03-30-07, 01:26 PM
qlex56
Lead Lap

i checked under the car and looked at the ic pipes and couplers are nice and tight, i was looking at the vacume hoses they seem to be okay non of them are bent , i also was advised to remove battery for 30 mins i did so
and as i was driving pass 3500 rpms i can hear the turbo trying to spool meaning its really soft i dont hear the waste gate, and reaching 3500 rpm seems a bit stuggle i would have to gas it up a lil harder, im not to sure what it means by wastegate vent to atmosphere
thanks for the help fellas
Old 03-30-07, 01:49 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

It sounds as though you arent *too* familiar with turbo setups so honestly you would probably have much less headache if you took the car to a shop with proper equipment/knowledge.

I am in no way meaning this as an insult, just offering you advice as it is difficult to find a problem when you don't really know what your looking/listening for, know what I mean?

The reason I asked if your Wastegate vented to atmosphere was that if the wastegate was stuck open the car would be really loud as it is just bleeding off all your exhaust pressure, hence the turbo not spooling. But if you aren't sure what/how to check/what to listen for then that advice won't help you at all.
Old 03-30-07, 04:30 PM
qlex56
Lead Lap

okay well i said i checked all the couplers and even in the bottom and they where fine, so i took off the front bumper and i just saw the ic piping just hanging there so i tighten it up and most of my clamps where fairly lose so instead of useing a regular flat head screwdriver i used a socket wrench to tighten all the clamps on the couplers. i took it for a test drive after putting my bumper back on, and the sound of relief psssh the (bov) goes off and i hear the turbo spooling again, so it was my ic piping afterall, the reason i did not find the lose coupler underneath was because of the water guard blocking the coupler that i could not see.
i want to thank everyone that has helped me with this issue.
i am still looking into a splitsec esc1 or a map ecu to fix the close loop
thanks again.

after i tighten all the couplers
Old 03-30-07, 09:00 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ditch those cheap hose clamps and get some TBolt clamps.

this is what it looks like

Quick Reply: Turbo stopped boosting...