Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tanabe exhaust installed on the IS350 (Pictures/Video)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-07, 04:50 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by CalIS350
Can you still remove 2 out of the 4 cats after installing a tanabe exhaust? I want a deeper sound and I think Tanabe's systems looks great but might be a little quiet (but removing 2 cats should make it louder).
Yes you can still remove the 2 cats. The cats lie in the mid pipe. Though the video I posted does a pretty darn good job of portraying an accurate sound of the tanabe, it's even deeper sounding in person. I'll let you know how it sounds on Friday when I get my 2 rear cats made interchangeable with test pipes. I'm guessing it will be a bit loud for my tastes, but for track days I won't mind a bit.
Old 04-04-07, 11:45 AM
duckduck
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you mind taking a video clip of the tanabe exhaust sound IN the car? I've wanted to know how loud it would be on the inside. (I know there's been a video clip out there already of this, but another one wouldn't hurt ) Could you take it while driving normally, at a constant speed, and at WOT? Thanks!
Old 04-04-07, 01:21 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by duckduck
Do you mind taking a video clip of the tanabe exhaust sound IN the car? I've wanted to know how loud it would be on the inside. (I know there's been a video clip out there already of this, but another one wouldn't hurt ) Could you take it while driving normally, at a constant speed, and at WOT? Thanks!
If I get time later today I may do a video for ya. Basically inside the car at idle and cruising it isn't much louder than stock. Under full throttle it is also not much louder than stock, but you can tell a difference outside the car. Under half throttle you definitely hear a difference with the exhaust. Very smooth and deep sounding.
Old 04-04-07, 04:53 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Default Exhaust adjusted (left side)

Originally Posted by linh811
is the driver's side tip a little off, or is that normal?
Per iceman1117's suggestion I was able to fix the slightly lower hanging left side. I was able to fix this problem by playing around with the rubber harness where the mufflers are attached to. I grabbed the rubber harness and pushed it all the way to the end, towards the mufflers and bingo!"
Old 04-05-07, 02:12 PM
THINKtank
Driver

I'm glad that Tanabe keeps up to date even w/ the higher end cars ;D this exhaust looks nice and thanks for the link to this page cayman
Old 04-05-07, 02:29 PM
isam250
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

very very very very nice. this makes me want to buy it now. in fact im going to get it now!
Old 04-13-07, 03:57 AM
duckduck
Pole Position

any updates?
Old 04-13-07, 04:04 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by duckduck
any updates?
The exhaust sits perfectly and sounds great. Really nothing more to update. Go get one.

Edit...On the next dyno day in my area I'm going to jump on it again and see how the power is compared to my last dyno done last year. I assume it would naturally be slightly higher just because I have more miles on the car, but we'll see.
Old 04-13-07, 09:21 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

NICE!

I just got mine installed 5 days ago and I LOVE it.
Old 04-15-07, 04:18 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Default Tanabe exhaust video part 2 (Inside the car)

Well I've had several requests to get a video of how the exhaust sounds from inside the car. Needless to say it was quite an expensive task doing so.

11:30am- take video from inside my garage

11:40am- find a quite local suburban road and do an easy 1-6 gear video clip

11:41am- I come to the end of the street and a cop car flies up behind me so I pull off to the side of the road thinking he was going to pass, but NO!!!

11:42am- cop comes to my window and immediatly shows me his LIDAR gun (54 in a 35) "Thinking to myself..just great!"
He then tell me that my tint is obviously not legal and that it looks to be about 8%. I said "No sir it can't possibly be 8%. Feel free to test." He goes back to his car and gets his tint testing gauge and sure enough he was wrong. 35% rear and 35% fronts. I guess the dark interior threw him off. Though the rears are legal, the fronts are supposed to be 50% and he said it wasn't a big deal and wouldn't give me a ticket for that. I thought to myself.."thank god, but is he going to say something about my exhaust or missing front plate next?" He then asks for my license/registration. I oblige and while I'm getting these for him he asks, "Did you not see me sitting along the road?" I said "No sir, I must have been focused on something else, hence the reason I didn't see your parked car and slowed down. I do apologize."

11:50am- he comes back to my car and issues me the ticket. 2 more mph faster and this would have been a reckless ticket! So he tells me that I can go online and pay if I like or attend court in June. Before he goes back to his car I asked "Did I see you eating lunch yesterday at Taco Bell? He thought for a moment and said, "yes". He was shocked that I recognized him, told me to have a good day and slow down...off he went.

Needless to say I'm just going to pay the fine and be done with it. Called my insurance company and asked about how speeding tickets would affect my rates and to my surprise in the state of VA, just speeding tickets won't affect anything, but accidents, DUI's, reckless, etc is another story. Geico rocks!

For those that requested this video I sure hope you appreciate, because it cost me over $150 and 6 points!! So don't go posting about how I should have posted with the windows down and driving, etc. I would have done more, but after getting pulled over I just lost the mood.

Ok, so you've heard me gripe long enough. Video link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31KpVUPG86s

If you want to download the file I placed it here. Just right click and save as

Last edited by caymandive; 04-15-07 at 08:06 PM. Reason: added a link to download file
Old 04-15-07, 04:28 PM
duckduck
Pole Position

dang. sorry to hear about your story. I (and hopefully everyone else) appreciates the video.
Old 04-15-07, 04:43 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude ... Geico was more expensive than State Farm for me, but switching from State Farm to Farm Bureau saved me an additional 33%.

I really appreciate you doing the video, but how did that video get you a ticket?!?! You didn't even do any WOT! I'm also surprised at how similar it sounds to mine. It does seem to have a fair amount of drone at low RPMs.
Old 04-15-07, 06:36 PM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

I'm getting a "Video is not available" error from YouTube, I'll try again later but you might want to check it out.
Old 04-15-07, 07:30 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Not sure why the video stopped working. I'll take a look and see whats going on. **edit** seems to be working fine now.

Gernby, I have no clue how the hell I got the ticket. I guess speed limit is speed limit and I was doing over the 35mph posted.

BTW Greg, this exhaust or any exhaust I have seen so far does have some drone, especially between 2-4000rpms and only under 1/2 load on the engine, but overall the Tanabe is pretty quiet. Cruising at any highway speed it's almost as silent as stock. I'd say it is similar in sound level to the G35's.

Last edited by caymandive; 04-15-07 at 08:04 PM. Reason: It's late and i'm hitting submit before I know what I'm saying.
Old 04-15-07, 10:06 PM
linh811
Lead Lap

sorry to hear about your troubles, thanks for the videos

Quick Reply: Tanabe exhaust installed on the IS350 (Pictures/Video)