Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tanabe exhaust installed on the IS350 (Pictures/Video)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-07, 03:34 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm really surprised no exhaust has a helmholtz filter to reduce the drone.
Old 04-16-07, 04:58 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
I'm really surprised no exhaust has a helmholtz filter to reduce the drone.
Flowmaster seems to make a muffler for the mustangs that incorporate a helmholtz resonance chamber. http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2005/03/05Mufflers/

I guess if the noise was annoying enough, the fix would be to work on the rear pipes. A crossover pipe would split the sound wave between the two, to reduce the resonance. I know a few C4 vette guys that have had some success in the past eliminating low-frequency exhaust drone by doing this.

Last edited by caymandive; 04-16-07 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-17-07, 07:55 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Here is a picture of the stock S2000 exhaust that uses a helmholts filter right on the pipe.
Attached Thumbnails Tanabe exhaust installed on the IS350 (Pictures/Video)-oem_exhaust0002.jpg  
Old 04-17-07, 07:56 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Close-up of the helmholtz.
Attached Thumbnails Tanabe exhaust installed on the IS350 (Pictures/Video)-oem_exhaust0004.jpg  
Old 04-17-07, 08:00 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

That exhaust actually looks pretty good. No wonder they don't make much or any power with aftermarket. Looks like 3 mufflers and the 2 rear mufflers already have some kind of sound canceling tube thing on them. I can't believe they even needed the helmholtz resonator.
Old 04-17-07, 08:15 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

It was a good stock exhaust, but very heavy. The pipes on the rear mufflers are where the exhaust actually exits the muffler, turns around, and makes a third pass back through the muffler.
Old 04-17-07, 09:33 AM
mort
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My tanabe just arrived this morning and going to install it Friday afternoon. My IS350 is going to the body shop Wednesday to have a few dents and hits removed, one being on the back bumper, so do not want to put the Tanabe on until after the painting, in case of overspray on my new exhaust. She will be all mended and sounding good by this weekend....can't wait.
Old 04-17-07, 09:42 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mort
My tanabe just arrived this morning and going to install it Friday afternoon. My IS350 is going to the body shop Wednesday to have a few dents and hits removed, one being on the back bumper, so do not want to put the Tanabe on until after the painting, in case of overspray on my new exhaust. She will be all mended and sounding good by this weekend....can't wait.
I would probably want to install the exhaust before the painting so that I wouldn't accidentally scratch the fresh paint during the exhuast install. I rubbed my bumper quite a bit when I installed mine.
Old 04-17-07, 10:10 AM
mort
Lead Lap

My only problem is I have had my appointment with the body shop for 2 weeks, they are the best shop locally and very busy and do not want to reschedule because some are waiting for 3 to 4 weeks to get in. I will be very carefull with the install. Thanks for your imput.
Old 04-17-07, 10:10 AM
mort
Lead Lap

My only problem is I have had my appointment with the body shop for 2 weeks, they are the best shop locally and very busy and do not want to reschedule because some are waiting for 3 to 4 weeks to get in. I will be very carefull with the install. Thanks for your imput.
Old 04-17-07, 06:49 PM
joonsta
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, fantastic sounding IS !

Do you have an after-market air intake?
Old 06-20-07, 10:02 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Thanks for the vids. You should of mentioned the Taco to the cop before he went back to the car. To get the discussion away from the speeding subject. Or tell him exactly what you where doing and that you found this quiet/safe place to film your car. But then again it's always when the stress of the moment passes we think of these things. I wonder when this cop went to sleep that night he thinks he did a great service to keep the world safe.

Originally Posted by joonsta
OP, fantastic sounding IS !

Do you have an after-market air intake?
Look at his sig for more info, he has a JoeZ intake pipe.
Old 06-27-07, 04:00 PM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Are the tips cut on a slant like the OEM's? Meaning the top protrudes further than the bottom?
Old 06-27-07, 04:42 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by phatboyc
Are the tips cut on a slant like the OEM's? Meaning the top protrudes further than the bottom?
Yup it's cut at an angle.
Old 06-27-07, 07:42 PM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Nice. Might get me one too. Just waiting on the shipping quote.

Wonder why the Tom's "Blacked-Out" Exhaust and the Fabulous Inferno Oval Muffler are so much more expensive than others? All mark up?

Quick Reply: Tanabe exhaust installed on the IS350 (Pictures/Video)