Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tanabe exhaust installed on the IS350 (Pictures/Video)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-07, 03:39 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright I installed my exhaust today. was pretty easy. easier than I thought. Looks excellent! Sounds decent too. Little louder in the cabin but not excessively loud and from the outside at 2,500 rpm has a nice rumble.
Attached Thumbnails Tanabe exhaust installed on the IS350 (Pictures/Video)-img_9712.jpg  
Old 07-07-07, 06:22 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
Alright I installed my exhaust today. was pretty easy. easier than I thought. Looks excellent! Sounds decent too. Little louder in the cabin but not excessively loud and from the outside at 2,500 rpm has a nice rumble.
Welcome to the Tanabe Club. Give it some time to break in and it'll actually get more mellow sounding.
Old 07-07-07, 06:55 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by caymandive
Welcome to the Tanabe Club. Give it some time to break in and it'll actually get more mellow sounding.

Thanks.

I hope it doesnt sound too different... I like the way it sounds now.
Old 07-07-07, 07:01 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Oh james... one question. As seen in the picture below the screw + spring where the exhaust is attached... notice how the spring is not compressed all the way... when I installed mine I had to tighten it ALL the way and the spring got compressed fully.

I would have thought I would only need to tighten it about the same as with the original. Do you remember how much you had to tighten the screw?

Old 07-07-07, 08:45 PM
wjimmy
Driver School Candidate

from looking at all the pictures.. Tanabe and HKS lexus seem to look very similar. It is hardly distinguishable, except that the pipes stick out a little more on the HKS lexus. what do you guys think?
Old 07-08-07, 06:36 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
Oh james... one question. As seen in the picture below the screw + spring where the exhaust is attached... notice how the spring is not compressed all the way... when I installed mine I had to tighten it ALL the way and the spring got compressed fully.

I would have thought I would only need to tighten it about the same as with the original. Do you remember how much you had to tighten the screw?
I don't recall exactly how far I tightened it, but I don't remember having it compressing the spring fully. I'll take a look today, but as long as you aren't having any leaks and the exhaust is lined up perfectly in the back you should be fine.
Old 07-09-07, 01:48 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those springs should NOT be fully compressed. They are there to allow the exhaust to flex and twist without breaking the bolts. If the springs are fully compressed, the bolts won't last long.
Old 07-09-07, 02:17 PM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

The bolts have a shoulder behind the threads, you can't over compress the spring.
Old 07-09-07, 02:25 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,975 Likes on 2,405 Posts

It depends on the flange on the aftermarket piece. If it's just like stock you're OK, if not, it might be a problem. FWIW, they tell the tech to measure the spring before installing it to be sure it still has some life left in it, so the engineers are a little worried about the spring working correctly.
Old 07-09-07, 03:22 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by wjimmy
from looking at all the pictures.. Tanabe and HKS lexus seem to look very similar. It is hardly distinguishable, except that the pipes stick out a little more on the HKS lexus. what do you guys think?
They also sound as similar as they look.

Javier
Old 07-09-07, 03:25 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Has anyone compared the HKS Hi-Power to the Tanabe with a dB meter? I just found out that my wife is pregnant, and I think my HKS is going to be too loud for a sleeping baby to tolerate in the back seat.
Old 07-09-07, 03:29 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
Has anyone compared the HKS Hi-Power to the Tanabe with a dB meter? I just found out that my wife is pregnant, and I think my HKS is going to be too loud for a sleeping baby to tolerate in the back seat.
CONGRATULATIONS!!! That's awesome, Greg...

I haven't compared with a meter, but I can tell you for a fact that the HiPower is louder than the Tanabe, especially under load.

Javier
Old 07-09-07, 03:34 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by javyLSU
CONGRATULATIONS!!! That's awesome, Greg...

I haven't compared with a meter, but I can tell you for a fact that the HiPower is louder than the Tanabe, especially under load.

Javier
Thanks, but we should wait for the congrats until the DNA testing s completed...
Old 07-09-07, 05:50 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that was fast, Greg. You were single and apparently tryna hook up with some waitress as of the CL meet in March.
Old 07-09-07, 05:59 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Wow, that was fast, Greg. You were single and apparently tryna hook up with some waitress as of the CL meet in March.
Ummm ... newly weds can do in 5 months what takes others 9 months ...

Quick Reply: Tanabe exhaust installed on the IS350 (Pictures/Video)