Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

New HKS installed and ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-07, 09:03 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New HKS installed and ?'s

Ok, I got the HKS from Carson and I installed it today. The driver's side hangs lower than my passenger and it was that way with the stock exhaust. Is there anyway to correct this? My mechanic told me no, and I trust him, but it bugs the crap out of me that it's different.

And next question, I installed the gaskets with the exhaust. When I got home after running around, it was smoking quite a bit. Is this the gasket that came with the exhaust and is it normal or should I take it off?

BTW, it sounds great, quite at cruising with a nice growl when giving it some gas.
Attached Thumbnails New HKS installed and ?'s-img_1582-copy.jpg  
Old 04-29-07, 10:42 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Its probably your rubber hangers that are old.
Old 04-29-07, 11:19 PM
phunkyGS
Lead Lap

Congrats on your new exhaust!

Like GSteg said, maybe try a new or a smaller hanger on the driver side.

I also have an HKS Hiper exhaust and my tips hang at the proper height, but the driver side does not stick out quite as far as the passenger side. It's about a 1/2" off and it annoys me to no end, so I understand you being bugged about yours. Oh well, I'll figure out how to fix it some day.

As far as the smoke goes, I've had mine on for over 2 years and have never noticed any.
Old 04-29-07, 11:27 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks guys... I am gonna try that.

Phunky, did you install the gasket that came with the exhaust? I think thats what smokin... possibly?
Old 04-29-07, 11:41 PM
phunkyGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mole
Phunky, did you install the gasket that came with the exhaust? I think thats what smokin... possibly?
Yeah, I installed them.

On second thought, if you're just talking about a little smoke coming from the tips, I did have that at first. I wouldn't consider it "quite a bit" like you stated, but there was a little. Kinda reminded me of a gun barrel smoking after being fired.

Hope that alleviates your concerns some.
Old 04-29-07, 11:46 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by phunkyGS
Yeah, I installed them.

On second thought, if you're just talking about a little smoke coming from the tips, I did have that at first. I wouldn't consider it "quite a bit" like you stated, but there was a little. Kinda reminded me of a gun barrel smoking after being fired.

Hope that alleviates your concerns some.
Ok, that makes sense... I actually thought it looked like the smoking gun when I first saw it...

Thanks Man!!!
Old 04-29-07, 11:50 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mole
Ok, I got the HKS from Carson and I installed it today. The driver's side hangs lower than my passenger and it was that way with the stock exhaust. Is there anyway to correct this? My mechanic told me no, and I trust him, but it bugs the crap out of me that it's different.

And next question, I installed the gaskets with the exhaust. When I got home after running around, it was smoking quite a bit. Is this the gasket that came with the exhaust and is it normal or should I take it off?
There absolutely IS something that can be done about the exhaust hanging low on one side and you do NOT want to remove any gaskets.

1. To fix your uneven exhaust, go to the auto parts store and buy a couple hose clamps large enough to go around the outside diameter of your exhaust hangers. (You will need two hose clamps for the side of the exhaust that hangs low as Gs's have two hangers per muffler). Put a hose clamp around both hangers (top and bottom) on each side. Then all you do is tighten the hose clamps until it starts to "lift" the muffler into place and you will be able to get it exactly the same height as the other one. Problem solved. Go back to your mechanic and show him how it's done

P.s- Dont remove your rubber hangers, leave them on, just use the hose clamps as "helpers" to even out the exhaust.

2. The reason your exhaust smells/smokes is because you are heating it up for the first few times and whatever chemicals they used in producing/coating the exhaust are burning off and "setting". It will probably burn and smoke a stink for a few days depending on how often you drive you car. If you want it to go away just go do some stop and go driving in your car for awhile. ABSOLUTLY DO NOT remove any gaskets from your exhaust.

P.s- If you are talking about a little smoke coming from the inside of the tips then that will always happen for the most part, it's exhaust If you are talking outside the car/funny smell then that is what I'm referring to above.
Hope this helps! Congrats on your new exhaust, enjoy it!
Old 04-30-07, 12:40 AM
o2GS43o
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My HKS that i bought from Carson, the passenger sticks out like 2" more than the driver side... which looks very odd... bothers me as well... I get the smoke as well, but mine smoked quite a bit at first, then it starts to die off...
Old 04-30-07, 12:57 AM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Mac and o2... mine sticks out about 1/2" more on the passenger side. I think I am ok with this as it is harder to tell. The hanging lower thing bothers me because it is so noticeable when looking from behind the car.

Now 2" farther out.. yeah, that would bug me. Can you get someone to bend a pipe or adjust something... that seems like a lot...
Old 04-30-07, 10:22 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I checked out o2's exhaust yesterday. The OEM pipes are fine since the stock muffler didn't have the same problem. Its the HKS exhaust that's uneven
Old 04-30-07, 10:27 AM
o2GS43o
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSteg
I checked out o2's exhaust yesterday. The OEM pipes are fine since the stock muffler didn't have the same problem. Its the HKS exhaust that's uneven

I think I overestimated the difference in length, I have it up on the lift right now, and it's more like a tad bit over an inch...

I think I'm going to have my friend cut out a section of the piping, about an inch and re-weld it back so it's pretty much even...

IMO, it should fit PERFECT...
Old 04-30-07, 02:27 PM
phunkyGS
Lead Lap

o2, quick question for you...

Now that you've dropped your GS, do you have any issues with scraping your exhaust? I'm still at stock ride height, but I nick the cans every once in a while backing out of my driveway.

Thanks.

Last edited by phunkyGS; 04-30-07 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-30-07, 02:39 PM
o2GS43o
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by phunkyGS
o2, quick question for you...

Now that you've dropped your GS, do you have any issues with scraping your exhaust? I'm still at stock ride height, but I knick the cans every once in a while backing out of my driveway.

Thanks.
How steep is your driveway? I always angle when going up or back in driveways... Just a precaution, haven't knicked it yet...

My exhaust is about 8" from the ground...
Old 04-30-07, 02:44 PM
phunkyGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by o2GS43o
How steep is your driveway? I always angle when going up or back in driveways... Just a precaution, haven't knicked it yet...

My exhaust is about 8" from the ground...
Not terribly steep. It only happens occasionally, but it's good to know it won't be more of an issue when the Teins get put on.

Thanks!
Old 04-30-07, 06:02 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

I nicked one of the cans today but it was because I didnt angle in. leaving the same way I came in but at an angle avoided it. It's not too bad, mines not super low but enough to scrape if I am not careful.

Quick Reply: New HKS installed and ?'s