Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

New Pics: Put in L-Tuned exhaust + some questions about it

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-07, 09:14 AM
Misha98GS4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Pics: Put in L-Tuned exhaust + some questions about it

Finally had the time to take some pics of my exhaust installed which I got off Hameed.

Basically I feel like there are 3 sounds that it gives off. When you gently press on the gas a little bit, you hear a not so loud, deep growl. When you press on it to accelerate normaly, so i dunno like 1/3 of the pedal or like 2000-3000 rpm I guess, the growl is deep, but very loud. When you press the gas hard and you're accelerating fast, the car sounds like an M5 just not as loud. SO, I like the M5 sound, and the sound when you gently rpess on the gas, but the sound which really pisses me off is when you press on it about 1/3 of the way. The thing is that it is very deep, and also loud, so iot starts to hurt my head, and everyone in the car. Is there any way to regulate this?
Old 05-02-07, 09:18 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

best of luck, the 8's are more throaty than the 6's. my friend has an 8 with rmm and it's throaty too but reasonable-but maybe not as loud compared to the l-tuned (havent heard the l-tuned tho).
Old 05-02-07, 09:25 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

Hey Mike, congrats on the install! Looks very good as expected.

The loud noise you are referring to is usually called droning (most after market mufflers have this problem) and typically manifests itself at part throttle and when cruising in 5th gear at about 2000 - 2100 rpm.

One way to reduce it is to add in some sound dampening material (Cascade, SecondSkin, Dynamat, B-Quiet ) on the metal skin that is behind the rear seat back. I put two layers of this stuff on mine.

This reduces the noise intrusion from the trunk (which in turn comes from the mufflers under the car).

Hope that helps.
Old 05-02-07, 10:14 AM
Misha98GS4
Driver

Originally Posted by Hameed
Hey Mike, congrats on the install! Looks very good as expected.

The loud noise you are referring to is usually called droning (most after market mufflers have this problem) and typically manifests itself at part throttle and when cruising in 5th gear at about 2000 - 2100 rpm.

One way to reduce it is to add in some sound dampening material (Cascade, SecondSkin, Dynamat, B-Quiet ) on the metal skin that is behind the rear seat back. I put two layers of this stuff on mine.

This reduces the noise intrusion from the trunk (which in turn comes from the mufflers under the car).

Hope that helps.
I actually get this noise only in low gears, like 2nd - 4th pretty much between 10km - 75 km or so. This damping material. Could you tell me which one you used, where you bought it, how you put it in. etc... I definetly want to put that into my car. Thank you.
Old 05-02-07, 10:44 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Misha98GS4
I actually get this noise only in low gears, like 2nd - 4th pretty much between 10km - 75 km or so. This damping material. Could you tell me which one you used, where you bought it, how you put it in. etc... I definetly want to put that into my car. Thank you.
I got mine from http://www.b-quiet.com .

I bought a roll of this (12 sq.feet) http://www.b-quiet.com/brownbread.html

and one 13.5 sq. ft roll of this http://www.b-quiet.com/vcomp.html

Installation is pretty simple. You need to remove the seat cushion first, just yank on the leading edge and it pops up. Now pull it out.

Next loosen the bolts at the bottom of the seat back - they will be visible now that you have the seat cushion out. Note that there are some bolts at the top too - move the headrests up, pull off the velcro backed covering where the headrests slides up and down and you will see another bolt.

Once the seat back is removed, the metal skin behind it is exposed. Just apply the insulation as per the instructions that comes with it and that's it!

I applied the two layers I linked above.
Old 05-02-07, 12:59 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Nice pics..
Old 05-02-07, 01:51 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Nice
Old 05-02-07, 02:18 PM
milky
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats

l-tuned mufflers are great
Old 05-03-07, 03:10 AM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I see your dilemma. You'll either have to drive real slow or really fast to achieve the desired sound.
Old 05-03-07, 05:59 AM
DjFergi
Lexus Test Driver

looks good. congrats
Old 05-03-07, 06:11 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

I'm a little surprised to read this, L-Tuned is generally considered to be the quietest of the after market exhausts. Mine is very reasonable through all rpm ranges. When first installed I was a little disappointed, I was expecting more of growl, but after time I began to like the subtle but powerful tone. Good luck with the insulation, that should cure a lot of the problem.
Old 05-03-07, 06:55 AM
alredxiii
Lexus Champion

Looks great

Have the same exhaust too

I think it's too quite

Hameed, so when are you going to show off the new exhaust?
Old 05-03-07, 07:12 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Old 05-03-07, 07:14 AM
bippu
Driver School Candidate

Also, after marke exhausts tend to have a break in period.
This break-in period mostly due to the sound deadening material inside the canister. some of it will burn off and settle in after about 200 - 300 miles.

Once it settles in, you will be getting the true tone of the exhaust.
Ofcourse, this does not mean that the drone will go away.
Old 05-03-07, 07:38 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice exhaust, with the info Hameed you posted you should be able tohopefully drown out the sounds you don't like.

Quick Reply: New Pics: Put in L-Tuned exhaust + some questions about it