Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tranny Cooler...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-07, 12:42 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Got a price today of 75.00 to install the cooler.. Should be getting this done next week.. DO you notice a difference at all with the cooler...Thanks

Tony
Old 05-09-07, 12:45 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

My car use to shift harder before I had the cooler. Now it's smoother. Of course this doesn't happen right off the bat. I can only feel the difference if I drive for a long time. I do major stop and go driving so the tranny fluid heats up pretty badly. My fluid would turn from red to dark red within 1000 miles. Now it doesn't anymore
Old 05-09-07, 12:50 PM
E-Z ES300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you would not reccomend me getting a Hayden 1401 over a "stacked plate" design?... The Hayden is about 75% cheaper!!!
Old 05-09-07, 01:22 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I personally have run similar coolers as the one you are looking at with no issues. The usually run a little larger than the one you mentioned (1401) but these are all on turbo cars as well so you probably don't Need the extra cooling unless you just wanted to go for it Again, I've been running a hayden in my Gs for 8 months, the car puts down 467hp at the wheels and I also towed my Gsxr 1000 across the country from Maryland to Washington with it and have had no issues and no burnt tranny fluid.
Old 05-09-07, 04:59 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

It comes down to this. ANY TRANS cooler (even the old style tube and fin types) are better than nothing. But if you are going to spend the money, why not spend the extra few bucks and get something that is proven to be a better design?
Just because a members transmission has not gone bad yet is NOT proof something works. Sort of a poor test in my book.
All OEM's exclusively use the stacked cooler design inlcuding my Tundra and GX-there is a reason why they spent the extra money to do this. IMO it also looks a heck of a lot better than the old style ,"worm" coolers also. The fins are also sturdier and do not bend as easily as the old design coolers. BUT....that does not mean the old design does not work. They worked for a great many years until improved upon with the stacked units. What to buy is up to each person. Want to save money and get the cheapest thing out there-go for it. It's your car, it's your money.
Old 05-09-07, 05:12 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by E-Z ES300
So you would not reccomend me getting a Hayden 1401 over a "stacked plate" design?... The Hayden is about 75% cheaper!!!
Hayden makes quality coolers in ether stacked or tube styles. If you are intent on saving money by getting the tube/fins style cooler you cannot go wrong with Hayden. It is much better than what you have now.
I still think that a sports sedan such as the GS should have come with one from the factory.
Old 05-09-07, 06:05 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

I agree that it does not prove that you are not going to have problems with your tranny just because I haven't had problems with mine.

Fact is, alot of people need to be budget minded, not everyone is rolling around with a heavily modded Sc430 and a Gx470. Right there is what $100,000 in cars? You keep saying why not spend the extra money etc..because the extra money is within $5 of double the price of a Hayden, that in HIS application will do JUST AS WELL as anything B&M makes.

Personally, I drive my car everyday, I tow my street bike with it and I also tow my dirt bikes with it. I also run 20lbs of boost, all on my "Cheapo" Hayden cooled tranny. I'm not saying I will never have tranny problems and I'm not saying a tranny cooler will prevent the ultimate fact your tranny WILL give out at some point. The fact is, the Hayden is the best costerformance buy.

The arguement that the fins get bent easier is null. I dont think most people go hacking away at their tranny cooler once it's installed. Second of all, if you mount the tranny cooler as I had mentioned before there is no possibility of bent fins unless a boulder goes clean through your condensor.

I'm in no way downing the fact that you have nice cars, if I could afford it I would do it too What I'm saying is...There is absolutely nothing wrong with the "cheapo", as you like to call it, coolers. They will cool just as well in 99% of applications as anything B&M makes for half the cost.

I hope no one get's offended by the banter, it's all in good car talk fun

Just for thought, I took these prices from Ebay today using "Buy it Now" prices for both.

B&M 72065 Tranny cooler 15000GVW $60 shipped (then add the cost of hard lines and fittings)

Hayden 1404 "cheapo" 22000GVW $35 shipped (comes with everything for install)

Last edited by macd7919; 05-09-07 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-09-07, 06:18 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

macd7919,

Please do not try to make this personal.

I simply am giving the members the information on what exist out there and for some reason you appear to be taking this as a personal attack against you which it is not. So how about calling a peace here?

I laid out the information between the two different types of cooleers out there and in MY opininion why an extra $20.00-$30.00 is a good piece of mind when it comes to a $2500 transmission. As most Lexus transmission are very stout most owners here can just do without one. Towing, racing,etc.... add one on. ANY style.

I stated that either would work better than stock, but the facts are the facts. The stacked cooler is a superior design. That cannot be argued and that has nothing to do with my budget or what kind of car I drive.

Just because someone is driving a $1000 Lexus vs a $30000 Lexus does not mean that they are on a budget or care any less of their car. Truth be told they probably care more about their car and would rather take very good care of it and spend the extra $$ to do so. I was the same way when I was driving around in a $3000 Porsche 924 years back. I guarantee I took better care of that heap than most 911 owners did their car though now that I reflect back on it I wish I did not spend all of that extra cash on that car.

The options are on the people for people to choose from and they received educated answers from the both of us on the subject which is:

Tube/Fin=budget cooler that WORKS FINE
Stacked Cooler=33% better effeciency that works BETTER

Thank you

Last edited by Pearlpower; 05-09-07 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-09-07, 06:57 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Not at all man, like I said all in good fun, this is what forums are for
Old 05-09-07, 07:06 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
macd7919,

Please do not try to make this personal.

I simply am giving the members the information on what exist out there and for some reason you appear to be taking this as a personal attack against you which it is not. So how about calling a peace here?

I laid out the information between the two different types of cooleers out there and in MY opininion why an extra $20.00-$30.00 is a good piece of mind when it comes to a $2500 transmission. As most Lexus transmission are very stout most owners here can just do without one. Towing, racing,etc.... add one on. ANY style.

I stated that either would work better than stock, but the facts are the facts. The stacked cooler is a superior design. That cannot be argued and that has nothing to do with my budget or what kind of car I drive.

Just because someone is driving a $1000 Lexus vs a $30000 Lexus does not mean that they are on a budget or care any less of their car. Truth be told they probably care more about their car and would rather take very good care of it and spend the extra $$ to do so. I was the same way when I was driving around in a $3000 Porsche 924 years back. I guarantee I took better care of that heap than most 911 owners did their car though now that I reflect back on it I wish I did not spend all of that extra cash on that car.

The options are on the people for people to choose from and they received educated answers from the both of us on the subject which is:

Tube/Fin=budget cooler that WORKS FINE
Stacked Cooler=33% better effeciency that works BETTER

Thank you
Please post of the temp of the inlet and outlet of these coolers. I'd like to see some facts. Thank you.
JPI
Old 05-09-07, 07:17 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JPI
Please post of the temp of the inlet and outlet of these coolers. I'd like to see some facts. Thank you.
JPI
Curious how you would be able to compare the efficiency of my cooler when a tube/fin cooler of comparable size does not exist as far as I know and I do not have one to compare to.
But....not all is lost...
Here is straight from Hayden. Imperial, B&M, etc.. will tell you the same.
I have also sold a great many trans coolers to performance shops, RV shops,etc.... and there is no disputing the difference between the two.

From Hayden
Tube
Ultra-Cool® Transmission Oil Coolers

The industry's first transmission cooler, the Ultra-Cool® transmission oil cooler is available in six sizes to fit a wide range of applications from sub-compacts to motorhomes.
Features

* Ultrasonically soldered for reliability
* 100% pressure tested at 150 PSI for quality assurance
* High efficiency turbulators in every tube for maximum heat dissipation
* 3/8” push-on fittings for quick and easy installation

STACKED PLATE

Rapid-Cool®’s unique plate and fin design offers excellent cooling efficiency in a compact, space-efficient design.
Features

* 33% more efficient than a comparable tube and fin design
* Pre-drilled mounting plates for easy installation
* Four sizes available to fit a wider range of applications
* Internal turbulation for efficient heat transfer
* 3/8” push-on fittings for quick and easy installation

Last edited by Pearlpower; 05-09-07 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-09-07, 07:19 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 112 Likes on 52 Posts

im tryin to get one of these as well..
Old 05-09-07, 07:22 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe you can retrieve the trans temp through the Lexus/Toyota scanner. If anyone live the dallas area and have both of these coolers. I would like to do some testing on them.
JPI
Old 05-09-07, 07:40 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by macd7919
I agree that it does not prove that you are not going to have problems with your tranny just because I haven't had problems with mine.

Fact is, alot of people need to be budget minded, not everyone is rolling around with a heavily modded Sc430 and a Gx470. Right there is what $100,000 in cars? You keep saying why not spend the extra money etc..because the extra money is within $5 of double the price of a Hayden, that in HIS application will do JUST AS WELL as anything B&M makes.

Personally, I drive my car everyday, I tow my street bike with it and I also tow my dirt bikes with it. I also run 20lbs of boost, all on my "Cheapo" Hayden cooled tranny. I'm not saying I will never have tranny problems and I'm not saying a tranny cooler will prevent the ultimate fact your tranny WILL give out at some point. The fact is, the Hayden is the best costerformance buy.

The arguement that the fins get bent easier is null. I dont think most people go hacking away at their tranny cooler once it's installed. Second of all, if you mount the tranny cooler as I had mentioned before there is no possibility of bent fins unless a boulder goes clean through your condensor.

I'm in no way downing the fact that you have nice cars, if I could afford it I would do it too What I'm saying is...There is absolutely nothing wrong with the "cheapo", as you like to call it, coolers. They will cool just as well in 99% of applications as anything B&M makes for half the cost.

I hope no one get's offended by the banter, it's all in good car talk fun

Just for thought, I took these prices from Ebay today using "Buy it Now" prices for both.

B&M 72065 Tranny cooler 15000GVW $60 shipped (then add the cost of hard lines and fittings)

Hayden 1404 "cheapo" 22000GVW $35 shipped (comes with everything for install)
I think mine is the #72055 super cooler from B&M.. Looking forward to getting it installed and its fairly small..

DO i need extra Toyota tranny fluid when doing the install?
Old 05-09-07, 07:41 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JPI
I believe you can retrieve the trans temp through the Lexus/Toyota scanner. If anyone live the dallas area and have both of these coolers. I would like to do some testing on them.
JPI
Hmm, I know that one can pull the trans temp , however I was not aware that the inlet and outlet temps can be pulled separately if I am reading your post correctly. Excuse me if I missed something. I do not own a Lexus/Toyota scan tool, only ODB II.
But....your more than welcome to step up and volunteer for all of us and do a comparo.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 05-09-07 at 08:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Tranny Cooler...