Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Fujita F5 Ram Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-07, 10:19 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

you could always check dragtimes.com at the top 5 fastest IS 1/4 mile times and see what they are running hehehe.
Old 05-12-07, 05:04 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Why would you guys want an intake where you have to try customizing it just to get it to work half as well as the stock intake? The stock intake box you are guaranteed NOT to pull in any of the hot engine bay air The engine is getting more than enough air through the stock airbox/filter to not be a concern. You also get the satisfaction that you aren't tampering with part of the emissions. (ie carbon filter) Honestly those that have bought one of the several hot air intakes available in hopes of gaining power have wasted money unless they bought them for the extra sound or looks of the kit.
Old 05-12-07, 08:17 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Now, I've modified my heat shield a bit to create a better seal from the rest of the engine bay, but my K&N intake is obviously drawing air from the stock cool air duct.

Javier
You are definitely getting a ram air type effect when the car is moving, just like the stock intake.

However, when you're sitting still or not going fast enough, the intake is going to take in the hotter air in the engine bay.
Old 05-12-07, 08:26 AM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
Why would you guys want an intake where you have to try customizing it just to get it to work half as well as the stock intake? The stock intake box you are guaranteed NOT to pull in any of the hot engine bay air The engine is getting more than enough air through the stock airbox/filter to not be a concern. You also get the satisfaction that you aren't tampering with part of the emissions. (ie carbon filter) Honestly those that have bought one of the several hot air intakes available in hopes of gaining power have wasted money unless they bought them for the extra sound or looks of the kit.
^ Totally agree with the above statement.

We have a stock CAI, the airflow comes from outside the engine compartment. The stock box with a high flow filter and a JoeZ pipe to reduce turbulence created by the stock pipe is pretty damn good. Most likely much better than putting a short ram inside the engine compartment with all of that hot air.

We don't have a true CAI aftermarket intake that draws air from an independent source outside of the compartment and I don't know how feasible that is considering the design of the compartment or even if its necessary in the first place.
Old 05-12-07, 08:28 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My thought were to actually modify the stock airbox to accomodate an aftermarket intake. I have no idea if this will even work but when I get some time I will definitly look into this. Im pretty sure someone has already but its worth a shot.
Old 05-12-07, 08:30 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Hey there is a positive side to having a Hot air intake. Gas mileage in theory will increase as long as your foot isn't in the throttle. The negative affects definitely outweigh the positives IMO.
Old 05-12-07, 08:38 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
My thought were to actually modify the stock airbox to accomodate an aftermarket intake. I have no idea if this will even work but when I get some time I will definitly look into this. Im pretty sure someone has already but its worth a shot.
at that point you are basically at a joez intake pipe. It's stock airbox with his intake pipe.

ps. you are right about the heat soak part.
Old 05-12-07, 09:17 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Great discussion gang!!!
Old 05-12-07, 09:46 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by combfilter
at that point you are basically at a joez intake pipe. It's stock airbox with his intake pipe.

ps. you are right about the heat soak part.
Im just trying to get the the filter in there Instead of the drop-in.
Old 05-17-07, 12:45 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,978 Likes on 2,406 Posts

Originally Posted by javyLSU
I thought the same thing until I examined my K&N intake after a couple of thousand miles. When I rotated the filter element to remove it, I noticed the dirt covering the filter in front of the stock cool air duct:

Now, I've modified my heat shield a bit to create a better seal from the rest of the engine bay, but my K&N intake is obviously drawing air from the stock cool air duct.

Javier
Hmm. Drawing air or drawing dirt? I bet it's drawing air from everywhere, but the primary dirt source is the OEM tube...
Old 05-17-07, 11:58 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a hard time believing that the air coming from outside is dirtier than the air inside the engine bay...

Javier