Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Race fuel anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-07, 02:33 PM
LexFather

Damn I've put 116 octane in my GS....car ran great....was like $8 a gallon..
Old 05-23-07, 05:36 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I've been running 80% distilled water and 20% Toyota red coolant with Red Line Water Wetter for more than 8 years for exactly this reason.
I stopped using Red Line Water Wetter because it caused a brown sludge to develop in the cooling system. Stopped using it and never had the sludge again.

Koz
Old 05-23-07, 06:25 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
I stopped using Red Line Water Wetter because it caused a brown sludge to develop in the cooling system. Stopped using it and never had the sludge again.

Koz
What was your replacement interval, and what water / coolant ratio were you running? Were you using Type I or Type II coolant?
Old 05-23-07, 06:36 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by Gernby
What was your replacement interval, and what water / coolant ratio were you running? Were you using Type I or Type II coolant?
This happened with two of my vehicles. When I did the first coolant change of the factory fill (Which was several years old and had no sludge) I would mix 60/40 Toyota coolant (Red)/distilled water with the required amount of Water Wetter. With-in a year or so the brown sludge would form. This problem has been experienced by many others I know and they don't use it anymore, either. This is just a heads up, you may want to check your cooling system if you are using it.

Koz.
Old 05-24-07, 03:41 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koz
This happened with two of my vehicles. When I did the first coolant change of the factory fill (Which was several years old and had no sludge) I would mix 60/40 Toyota coolant (Red)/distilled water with the required amount of Water Wetter. With-in a year or so the brown sludge would form. This problem has been experienced by many others I know and they don't use it anymore, either. This is just a heads up, you may want to check your cooling system if you are using it.

Koz.
Were you using tap water?
Old 05-28-07, 01:27 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz

Koz.
I've been using Water Wetter since 1991 and never seen the brown sludge you describe. The earliest versions of it were a powder you had to dissolve in hot water. Also, I am confused about your mixture. You are saying 60/40 coolant/distilled. I don't know why you would ever use more than 50% coolant since it is a significantly inferior heat carrier. I've been using 80% distilled with 20% coolant for a very long time because it carries more heat per unit volume than anything but pure distilled. 20% is good to about +8F, and I don't live in a climate that cold. I could go on and on about the advantages of this mixture with a high pressure cap, but this thread is about race gas...
Old 06-01-07, 03:17 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't a mixture with 80% water have a dangerously low boiling point? Can the high pressure cap alone fix that problem?

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 06-01-07 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-01-07, 03:38 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

No. The boiling point really isn't the issue with it anyway. The danger really comes from the freezing point. Keep in mind that most race cars use straight water.
Old 06-01-07, 04:02 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

boiling point of water changes in a pressurized system anyway.
Old 06-01-07, 04:57 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by morris
boiling point of water changes in a pressurized system anyway.
Unfortunately, the boiling point doesn't raise with a high pressure radiator cap nearly as much as it reduces with an 80 / 20 coolant solution. Even still, it isn't a problem if the rest of the cooling system is in good shape.
Old 06-02-07, 03:54 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about to drain a little of my radiator fluid out and put in 16 oz of Purple Ice.

Anyone advise me otherwise?

Anyways, back to the topic . . .
Old 06-02-07, 06:51 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

What is Purple Ice? If it is a similar product to RL WW, then I wouldn't bother messing with it if you aren't going to increase the water / antifreeze ratio.
Old 06-05-07, 12:18 PM
Koz

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I've been using Water Wetter since 1991 and never seen the brown sludge you describe. The earliest versions of it were a powder you had to dissolve in hot water. Also, I am confused about your mixture. You are saying 60/40 coolant/distilled. I don't know why you would ever use more than 50% coolant since it is a significantly inferior heat carrier. I've been using 80% distilled with 20% coolant for a very long time because it carries more heat per unit volume than anything but pure distilled. 20% is good to about +8F, and I don't live in a climate that cold. I could go on and on about the advantages of this mixture with a high pressure cap, but this thread is about race gas...
I was talking about the red liquid (in the skinny bottle). I use 60% distilled water. Sorry for the confusion.

Koz
Old 06-23-07, 10:26 AM
GTMRS4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Colder plugs are good if you have very predictible climate. BRK7E Coper plugs work well and are gapped for .032

If you have variable climate then you can just go with the stock plugs. If you want to get higher octane out of your normal gas, you can just do water/meth injection good for 3 to 5 octane points .

Don't use water wetter, it leaves a sludge residue in the radiator
Old 06-23-07, 11:59 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Originally Posted by GTMRS4
...Don't use water wetter, it leaves a sludge residue in the radiator
Got pics of this? I've been using Water Wetter as long as it has been available and never seen any sludge in any radiator I used with it.