Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

need your opinion (JoeZ owners)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-07, 07:03 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi pylee257,
I had asked the same thing back in February. I got lots of knowledgeable responses. In my opinion, from some of this forum best members. Even Joe Z joined the discussion.

I believe they have closed the lid on this question.
My post starts at #89.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=219458&page=6

Or even better start at the beginning of the thread, worth while read.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=219458

Last edited by phatboyc; 05-23-07 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-23-07, 08:41 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by phatboyc
Hi pylee257,
My post starts at #89.

I still respectfully disagree.

You could have flames around it and it still won't transfer much heat. Not enough mass and not enough surface area.
If this were true, then trying to heat water on a gas stove wouldn't work.

The JoeZ intake pipe probably has more surface area than most pots and pans do.

Again, as I mentioned above, take 2 identical cars with metal intake pipes. Wrap one pipe with insulation and leave the other alone. Everything else (gas, tires, drivers, etc., are identical.) Stage them up and run them on the 1/4.

Who here would bet on the car without the insulation?
Old 05-23-07, 08:55 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

al503,

I did significant testing on my S2000's AEM CAI before and after wrapping it, and there was practically zero difference in IAT. Actually, the only measurable difference in temperature was at idle, and that went away the very moment the throttle plate opened. Plus, the AEM intake pipe was more than 4 feet long, half of which traveled about an inch from the radiator.

You can't compare boiling water in a pan, since the water has to sit in the pan for several minutes before it boils. The air in the intake pipe is only in the pipe for milliseconds.
Old 05-23-07, 09:00 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by al503
Again, as I mentioned above, take 2 identical cars with metal intake pipes. Wrap one pipe with insulation and leave the other alone. Everything else (gas, tires, drivers, etc., are identical.) Stage them up and run them on the 1/4.

Who here would bet on the car without the insulation?
I would bet on the car without the insulation since the insulation would add weight.
Old 05-23-07, 09:08 AM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

I want some of that gold foil like insulation they use on Indy cars.j/k
Old 05-23-07, 09:14 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gernby
You can't compare boiling water in a pan, since the water has to sit in the pan for several minutes before it boils. The air in the intake pipe is only in the pipe for milliseconds.
Milliseconds or not, by the simple laws of physics, the intake charge has to be warmed up.

Again, the few ounces of the tape aside, you would bet on the car with the wrap.
Old 05-23-07, 09:23 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I really wasn't joking about the weight of the insulation. I believe a few ounces of wrap would be more significant than the hundredths of a degree that the wrap would make in IAT. Like I said, when I tested it, there wasn't even tenths of a degree difference with 4 feet of pipe.

Something I think would make more of a difference would be to silicone the joint between the air box and cold air snorkel. It is a pretty loose fit, so I wouldn't be surprised if 5% of the intake air comes straight from the engine bay.
Old 05-23-07, 09:27 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

You also have to remember that with a wrapped intake, it will take longer for the aluminum pipe to cool down, which will prolong the time that air contacts the warm pipe. If there was no wrap on the pipe it would quickly cool itself. This is another reason why I believe the JoeZ pipe is superior to the stock pipe.
Old 05-23-07, 09:39 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caymandive
You also have to remember that with a wrapped intake, it will take longer for the aluminum pipe to cool down, which will prolong the time that air contacts the warm pipe. If there was no wrap on the pipe it would quickly cool itself. This is another reason why I believe the JoeZ pipe is superior to the stock pipe.
It may very well be a wash in this regard. It will take longer for the pipe to warm up also.

The pipe will still remain cooler overall with the wrap. It's the same principle as the reflective suits that some firefighters and vulcanologists use in high heat situations.

Last edited by al503; 05-23-07 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-23-07, 10:00 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by al503
It may very well be a wash in this regard. It will take longer for the pipe to warm up also.

The pipe will still remain cooler overall with the wrap. It's the same principle as the reflective suits that some firefighters and vulcanologists use in high heat situations.
I think you are beating a dead horse here. It's been proven over and over again that the temperature of the intake pipe doesn't affect the power of the car. Check out this thread on is300.net where this was thoroughly tested. The air rushes through very quickly (so quick that the air temperature is not effected) and as this cool air is pulled through the pipe, the aluminum pipe also quickly cools.

"Air temps:
The LMS intake does suck in hotter air than the JoeZ and stock. This is most prevelant during slow speed/stop and go driving, where you see the LMS intake temps rapidly rise when you come to a stop as the intake sucks in heated engine bay air. The JoeZ and stock would slowly rise to ~20 degrees above ambient while sitting at a stoplight, while the LMS would go as high as ~35 degrees above ambient.

On the freeway, we saw around 10-12* above ambient for the LMS, while stock and JoeZ were 4-6.

@ 70-80 mph, there is a 6 degree F difference between Stock/JoeZ and LMS, but it's not enough to really rob any power from the car. According to the SAE specifications, 6 would account for less than 1% difference in power, so < ~2.5 whp on a 260 whp IS350 while running from a roll. From a dig, the ~20 degree hotter air in the LMS could rob just under 1.5%/4 whp...

When launching @ WOT the engine bay is quickly "blown out" and IATs quickly drop to numbers comparable to stock or the JoeZ. Same on the highway, the 6* cruising difference became much smaller as soon as you gunned it, with all intakes getting very similar temperature deltas."

As we can all agree on, the stock intake system is excellent, but with any product we can make them better. Isn't that kinda like the old BASF commercials.

Basically smooth out the airflow, use aluminum pipe to created a nice finished look and assist with the dissipation of heat, save some weight and the stock intake is now improved upon. I guess if we wanted to go a step further we could do something like what Gernby suggested and tighten the seal around where the snorkel attaches to the intake box. Getting cool air in the intake is the biggest factor in making the most power.

Last edited by caymandive; 05-23-07 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-23-07, 07:50 PM
pylee257
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by phatboyc
Hi pylee257,
I had asked the same thing back in February. I got lots of knowledgeable responses. In my opinion, from some of this forum best members. Even Joe Z joined the discussion.

My post starts at #89.

thanks man. i guess you guys already beat me to the punch

Last edited by pylee257; 05-23-07 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-07-07, 06:11 AM
Jeff777
Driver School Candidate

In other cars throttle body bypass has been recommended to get the throttle body temp down. (Diverts hot radiator fluid from the throttle body).
I hand tested this on one car. Before the bypass, drove and heated engine up. Put hand on TB and took it off, its to hot to keep it on it. Did the bypass and the repeated it. Could leave my hand on it no problem. Real scientific I know

The TB is very hot since its mounted to the motor and the air passes though this as well. Some argue that no matter how cool going in, it will heat up at the TB anyway.

Have not heard if this is possible on our cars.