Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

need your opinion (JoeZ owners)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-07, 11:40 PM
pylee257
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need your opinion (JoeZ owners)

i have the JoeZ intake installed. and i was wondering, would it make any noticable difference if i wrapped the intake pipe in some sort of heat resistant silicone, to reduce heat soak. i realized that the pipe gets exremely hot, after i tried to touch it today after coming home. what are your guys' opinions on this and how would i get this kind of work done?
Old 05-19-07, 12:12 AM
linh811
Lead Lap

i doubt the air spends enough time in there to be heated to any significant degree. you might gain like 0.1 hp, not worth your effort...
Old 05-19-07, 04:32 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Don't waste your time and money. As soon as you step on the throttle and start moving some air down that pipe it cools very quickly. If there is any heat absorption/induction it would only be at idle.

Koz
Old 05-19-07, 05:34 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wrapping the tube won't make a noticeable difference.
Old 05-19-07, 09:43 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
Don't waste your time and money. As soon as you step on the throttle and start moving some air down that pipe it cools very quickly. If there is any heat absorption/induction it would only be at idle.

Koz
Which isn't going to help acceleration/performance while you're waiting at a stoplight (although I don't advocate street racing) or staging for the 1/8th or 1/4 at the track.

Wrapping the pipe may or may not make a noticeable difference. However, if I had to wager on 2 identical cars, one with the wrap and one without, I'd bet on the one with the wrap.
Old 05-19-07, 02:34 PM
pylee257
Lead Lap

alright well thanks for the input guys. i guess i wont worry about the intake pipe heat.
Old 05-19-07, 03:17 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wrapped my AEM CAI on my S2000 with Thermotek insulation, and it made no difference at all. Actually, the fact that your pipe is hot to the touch on the outside is a good sign. Think about it ... if you put a cold drink in an insulated cup, do you expect the outside of the cup to feel really cold, or warm? If the outside of the insulated cup felt cold, then it would be a pretty crappy cup.
Old 05-19-07, 07:31 PM
pylee257
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gernby
I wrapped my AEM CAI on my S2000 with Thermotek insulation, and it made no difference at all. Actually, the fact that your pipe is hot to the touch on the outside is a good sign. Think about it ... if you put a cold drink in an insulated cup, do you expect the outside of the cup to feel really cold, or warm? If the outside of the insulated cup felt cold, then it would be a pretty crappy cup.
perfect response. so dont waste the time and wrap the pipe. thanks
Old 05-19-07, 11:14 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i was thinking about wrapping it in something or coating it in some silicone coating but was thinking... yeah it would prevent the tube from taking on too much heat but at the same time once it DID heat up the coating or wrap may also prevent the tube from cooling back down faster too. so nahhh
Old 05-19-07, 11:20 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
Actually, the fact that your pipe is hot to the touch on the outside is a good sign. Think about it ... if you put a cold drink in an insulated cup, do you expect the outside of the cup to feel really cold, or warm? If the outside of the insulated cup felt cold, then it would be a pretty crappy cup.
The intake pipe is just a thin piece of aluminum. An insulated cup or thermos usually has 2 layers of plastic/metal with a vacuum or material in between them for insulation.

If the intake pipe is hot, it's warming the intake charge.
Old 05-19-07, 11:45 PM
pylee257
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by al503
The intake pipe is just a thin piece of aluminum. An insulated cup or thermos usually has 2 layers of plastic/metal with a vacuum or material in between them for insulation.

thats what i was thinking as well. however still getting mixed opinions. Gernby you said that you applied the silicon on the intake pipe of your s2000?
Old 05-20-07, 04:15 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

actually, the original and best performing thermos bottles used glass for insulation.

But, due to cracking when dropped, they stopped using it and substituted plastics and what not.

maybe you should design a CAI with glass wall insulation lol

Edit - do you want a great performing CAI with tubing that won't become a heat sink? create a GFI (Ghetto Fab Intake) http://www.yoursciontc.com/forums/in...opic=7096&st=0

Last edited by nabbun; 05-20-07 at 06:12 AM.
Old 05-20-07, 06:24 AM
pylee257
Lead Lap

you know i would love to. unfortunately i dont have the resources and/or dont know where i can make a custom design to build. for example if i knew a metal worker or someone who could bend alluminum, and other metals i would go to him and ask him for such and such.
Old 05-20-07, 06:44 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

actually, the pvc piping and what not are all measured and precut. you just need the measurements and swap. no aluminum piping to bend cuz there are bendable flex pipes that he used for the cold air pipe leading up to the filter box
Old 05-20-07, 09:14 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by al503

I realize that the intake pipe is not insulated. My point was simply that the outer surface temperature of the pipe isn't important. Even if the pipe was insulated, the outer surface would still be hot. I would be more concerned if the pipe was cool since that would indicate that the heat was going into the intake charge very quickly.

Quick Reply: need your opinion (JoeZ owners)