Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Fujita Intake C.A.R.B. Sticker? Does any1 have it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-07 | 11:32 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Default Fujita Intake C.A.R.B. Sticker? Does any1 have it?

Hello,

Am I the only one who notices that the Fujita currently does not have a C.A.R.B . sticker?
Old 06-14-07 | 06:44 AM
rt350
Rookie

i think you are incorrect. in2006 all toyota, lexus, and scion (excluding the xB) now use a carbon filter that is connected to the top of the airbox. this carbon filter is for emmissions and cannot be bypassed. i have only seen a flat, carbon filter replacedment from trd (for the scion tC supercharger offered by TRD (it is part of the SC kit for the tC) but it still is installed in the factory air box top. therefore, you should UNFORTUNATELY not see any manufacture with a 2006-up toyota product that has an eo# for those in california. i think it is important for members to know the facts.
Old 06-14-07 | 07:38 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rt350
i think you are incorrect. in2006 all toyota, lexus, and scion (excluding the xB) now use a carbon filter that is connected to the top of the airbox. this carbon filter is for emmissions and cannot be bypassed. i have only seen a flat, carbon filter replacedment from trd (for the scion tC supercharger offered by TRD (it is part of the SC kit for the tC) but it still is installed in the factory air box top. therefore, you should UNFORTUNATELY not see any manufacture with a 2006-up toyota product that has an eo# for those in california. i think it is important for members to know the facts.
Wait a minute.

When you install a air intake system, except JoeZ, you will be replacing the whole air box.

So since the air box is removed as well as the OEM intake arm, technically it is not C.A.R.B. legal.

So yeah, It is important for members like you to know the facts.

Back to the question for the Original Poster.

Any1 notice it doesn't have a C.A.R.B. sticker on the Fujita Intake Arm?
Old 06-14-07 | 09:31 PM
rt350
Rookie

anything before the cat that has to do with emissions must have an eo # for it to be street legal. even joez would need an eo# since it is a device before the cat.

Last edited by rt350; 06-14-07 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-14-07 | 09:33 PM
istundra
Pole Position

What's the purpose of other companies marketing CARB exempt? According to you, then those CARB exempt stickers are useless in terms of legality issues?
Old 06-14-07 | 09:54 PM
rt350
Rookie

a manufacture has to take specific vehicles to a state certified laboratory to test emissions. The new Toyota vehicles have the carbon filter installed ontop of the factory air box. According to ARB, the carbon filter has to stay. The only way an aftermarket performance product before the cat is legal in CA is an EO number is granted from ARB. We have to turn in instructions, an application, submit emblem drawings of the EO label, and then conduct an emission test at a state certified laboratory. ARB provides a list to choose from. EO #'s are great because you can now pass a CA smog test and you cannot get a ticket for the mod. While the car is in the process of approval, the system is usually listed as CARB pending.
Old 06-14-07 | 11:47 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

anything before the cat that has to do with emissions must have an eo # for it to be street legal.

Even "Joe Z" would need an eo# since it is a device before the cat.
^^Who here said it doesn't??

Back to the question of the Original Poster.

Originally Posted by 4GRFSE-GFM
Hello,

Am I the only one who notices that the Fujita currently does not have a C.A.R.B . sticker?

- Joe Z
Old 06-15-07 | 02:04 AM
istundra
Pole Position

rt350... thanks for your condescending remarks. Glad you did edit them.

It's surely not pleasant for other people to see.

Anyway, I think the OP is asking about this as seen on the installation manual.

Please see A.R.B. Information

"E.O. Identification label" ?

Well anyway, this is definately a good intake. Best bang for the buck I would say. Fitment is great. Quality is good as well.
Old 06-15-07 | 05:09 AM
rt350
Rookie

it is required for us by ARB to place this on an instruction.
I understand that it is not clear why somethings are done a certain way if you have not dealt directly with ARB.

Last edited by rt350; 06-15-07 at 05:17 AM.
Old 06-15-07 | 12:31 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Hello,

I recall Injen doing something similar to what Fujita did. They launched the Intake before it was C.A.R.B Exempt, but eventually, once it was approved, all they needed was a proof of purchase and the C.A.R.B. Exempt sticker was mailed to the Owner of the intake.

I can't wait til this intakes get approved so I can flash my sticker to the smog inspectors.

I believe that any car older then 3-4 years are required for smog checks in California. I surely hope this intake will be approved by then, otherwise, i'd have to swap it out before smog.
Old 06-15-07 | 09:46 PM
philippp
Driver School Candidate

JoeZ is my hero haha
Old 06-18-07 | 07:47 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

a manufacture has to take specific vehicles to a state certified laboratory to test emissions. The new Toyota vehicles have the carbon filter installed ontop of the factory air box. According to ARB, the carbon filter has to stay. The only way an aftermarket performance product before the cat is legal in CA is an EO number is granted from ARB. We have to turn in instructions, an application, submit emblem drawings of the EO label, and then conduct an emission test at a state certified laboratory. ARB provides a list to choose from. EO #'s are great because you can now pass a CA smog test and you cannot get a ticket for the mod. While the car is in the process of approval, the system is usually listed as CARB pending.
This is not entirely true. You can still get a ticket. You will still have to see the smog referee. He will see you have CARB approved equipment installed consistent with the instructions, and he will issue you a compliance letter that you can use in court to get the charges dropped.

You still suffer the indignities of wasting your time fighting legal battles. This is why my Supra remained very stock appearing for the entire time I lived in California. Looks stock, no hassles. Doesn't look stock, lots of hassles.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 06-18-07 at 07:55 PM.