Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Official Tranny Cooler Thread for the 2GS

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-09, 06:31 PM
skins990
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Word....Thanks for advice. I have ordered the cooler and now just have to find the fluid locally. Anybody, know about finding some transmission fluid NorCal....San Jose area?

I'll keep posted with pics....

Also anybody know about Costco or Autozone selling transmission fluid...
Old 04-14-09, 07:40 PM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

toyota dealerships should be all the place... only use oem fluid...
Old 04-14-09, 07:43 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Costco/autozone doesn't stock ATF that works on our car, although you may be able to find some Mobil 3309.

It's just cheaper to go with Toyota Type T-IV, or if you have the money, find Amsoil Universal ATF
Old 04-14-09, 09:00 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by gsteg
costco/autozone doesn't stock atf that works on our car, although you may be able to find some mobil 3309.

It's just cheaper to go with toyota type t-iv, or if you have the money, find amsoil universal atf
x2...............
Old 04-15-09, 10:56 AM
skins990
Rookie

Look at this post I found yesterday.....here-
http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-c...-t-iv-atf.html

To Valvoline Customer Service

Toyota reccomends a T-IV rated ATF fluid for the automatic transmission in
my Landcrusier. Does Valvoline have a ATF that meets those requirements?
The dealer prices for the Toyota fluid seem high and I am looking for an
alternative.
And their response...

THOMAS R. SMITH
Technical Director, Valvoline Brand
June 7, 2004
To Whom It May Concern:
Valvoline has received several inquiries regarding the topic of MaxLife ATF and its use in various vehicles beyond those requiring DEXRON-III or MERCON approved products. In response to these questions Valvoline has issued the following statements:

Valvoline supports the use of MaxLife ATF in a broad range of transmissions beyond those requiring DEXRON III and MERCON fluids including those where the following fluids are recommended:

o GM DEXRON II
o Ford MERCON V
o Allison C-4
o Chrysler ATF+3 or ATF+4 fluids
o Toyota (and Lexus) Type T, T-III or T-IV fluids
o Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II or SP-III fluids
o Hyundai
o Honda ATF-Z1 fluid (except in CVTs)
o BMW LT71141 or LA2634 fluids
o Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J, and Matic-K fluids

MaxLife ATF is recommended for the new 5 and 6 speed transmissions, except the Ford 5R110, Ford 6RXX, and the Mercedes Benz W7A700 (7G-TRONIC) which all require a low viscosity Automatic Transmission Fluid.

Valvoline has conducted in-house testing to support MaxLife ATF performance in these transmissions. However, it is important to note that these vehicle manufacturers have neither evaluated nor approved MaxLife ATF.
Valvoline stands behind all of its products, including MaxLife ATF. Use of MaxLife ATF in transmissions where recommended by Valvoline WILL NOT void the vehicle’s warranty. In the unlikely event that any transmission was to be damaged as a result of the use of MaxLife ATF, please contact Valvoline at 1-800-Team-VAL.

While MaxLife ATF is designed to meet the special needs of higher mileage transmissions, new transmissionscan also benefit from its enhanced oxidation protection, shear stability, seal compatibility, and anti-shudder protection and many consumers have chosen to take advantage of this level of performance.
Valvoline does not recommend MaxLife ATF for use in continuously variable transmissions (CVT’s) or in
automatic transmissions where Ford Type F is recommended.

Sincerely,
Thom Smith
Technical Director
Valvoline Brand
Old 04-16-09, 08:49 AM
skins990
Rookie

No opinions I guess then....Anyways.

Is there somewhere online where I can buy the Amsoil or this Type V-IV fluid? Or maybe there is somewhere locally (NorCal) that I can buy some? Please let me know.
Old 04-16-09, 05:18 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an opinion... The guy would works at company A is going to try to make company A sound like the greatest thing since sliced bread. That being said, do you think all manufactures use the same materials in their transmissions? Do they all use the same pumps, orifices, filters, or friction modifiers? The simple answer is no. Maybe the stuff works ok, but it is not what Toyota designed to run in their transmission. Do you think Valvoline has done endless amount of test with all these transmissions sitting side by side? When i worked at precision tune, we filled up everything with generic ATF fluid, then just added a fluid treatment... one for foreign cars, and one for domestics, would I tell Joe Blow that I wouldn't run it in my car, no I want to eat tonight.. T-IV fluid can be bought at the toy/lex dealers, It can also be bought at Carquest, I know my local store orders all manufactures coolants, oils, and other little nick nacks.
Old 04-25-09, 10:34 AM
tom steele
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am going to install mine inbetween the radiator and the condensor for the air conditioning that way the stock fans help with cooling also the idiot that had my car before me unhooked the stock trans cooler and went straight to the aftermarket one so now i am flushing the stock one and reconnecting it inline with the aftermarket one like it should be i bought a new skinner version so i could fit it inbetween the radiator and condensor and going to use the one he had for a oil cooler to cool my oil before it goes to my supercharger this should help cool down the supercharger witch in theory should give me a little more horsepower by not heating the intake air as much cooler air more oxygen more power but thats just my theory.
Old 06-11-09, 03:02 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

just got my B&M 70264 in the mail.. gonna install it soon.. thanks for the info guys.. im gonna try to do it after the stock trenny cooler for extra cooling
Old 06-11-09, 03:06 PM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

Theres alot of cool trannys in Thailand.
Old 06-11-09, 11:01 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

i just installed mine today guys.. it went well.. longer than expected but well.. taking bumper off was most time consuming lol n mounting cooler.. but i dont get it do you guys take out the condenser to attach the tranny coolers to them.. cuz the radiator is behind that then the fans lol.. so i assumed you guys take the condenser out then mount the tranny cooler but i did mine a diff way.. i got the B&M70264 kit but might wanna get a taller but same width cooler.. we'll see.. runs great tho!!
Old 06-13-09, 03:34 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't need to take off the condenser and didn't need to remove the bumper. Me and most just install it in front of the condenser.

Last edited by GILLEXUS; 08-02-10 at 04:18 AM.
Old 06-23-09, 03:30 PM
SorrGwa
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thanx for all the write up guys.

i finally got around to installing my tranny cooler today, since the past couple days ive been doing the tbelt.

One thing though, i saw some of you guys install the cooler with the input/outputs facing upward, and some facing downward, does it matter or just preference????

I decided to have mine facing upward, in case of any lines cut or whatever, the tranny fluid can at least sit in the cooler.

the other port is just being blocked in view by the horn..

And how i mounted it...

and the tbelt install since that was the MAIN goal... i bought the B&M cooler almost 2 years ago haha, but waited until i had to chance to remove the radiator and had plenty of room to do the lines before i installed it.

Greddy timing belt is same for all 2JZ's, so supra, GS300, IS300

Cam Sprocket is the same for all 2JZ's and 1JZ's...

only changed the exhaust cam sprocket for now as the intake cam sprocket is VVTI... ill worry about that later when i save up for the turbo upgrade
Old 06-23-09, 04:14 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

here's mine installed...

Old 09-04-09, 11:06 PM
NIXmx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Living in Vegas, occasionally driving with a little "spirit", and having a GS4; I will be running a trans cooler after the factory unit.

After all this talk, there is no input about an inline trans filter?
http://www.perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page25.html

Couldn't hurt. The basic kit (only filter, mount, and lines) is only $40 on Jegs. I don't doubt the factory filter doesn't do it's job effectively, but extra protection is nice to have.

IMHO I would use the supplied hoses and barb fittings (with clamps) and not waste money on braided and AN fittings. Unless you plan on showing it off, then go ahead. Otherwise, remember what is OEM.

Quick Reply: Official Tranny Cooler Thread for the 2GS