Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

removing the Cat, but keeping everything else

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-07, 06:56 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rules for Replacing Converters
In 1986, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency issued new guidelines for the construction, efficiency and installation of aftermarket catalytic converters. All CleanAir converters listed in this catalog have been designed, tested and manufactured to meet this policy.

In addition, CleanAir converter listed in this catalog is appropriate for use under the current requirements of the California Air Resources Board (C.A.R.B.).
E.P.A. guidelines state that replacement converters may be installed only in the following situations:

1. The vehicle is missing a converter
2. A state or local inspection program has determined that the existing converter needs replacement
3. Vehicles manufactured prior to 1996 must have more than 50,000 miles, and a legitimate need for replacement must be established and documented
4. In cases of OBD Il-equipped vehicles (1996 and later), the O.E. manufacturer's 8-year/80,000-mile warranty must have expired and a legitimate need for replacement must be established and documented.
Please note that Federal law prohibits removal or replacement of a properly functioning O.E. converter.When replacement of the converter is appropriate (as outlined above), the E.P.A. further requires that:

1. It be installed in the same location as the original
2. It be the same type as the original (i.e., two-way, three-way, three-way plus air/three-way plus oxidation)
3. It be the proper model for the vehicle application as determined and specified by the manufacturer
4. It be properly connected to any existing air injection components on the vehicle
5. It be installed with any other required converter for a particular application
6. It be accompanied by a warranty information card to be completed by the installer.

In california they are especially strict, no muffler shop will do it unless it is found to be defective, thier are stiff fines associated with the removal or tampering of the OEM cat. I doubt you would go to prison, but i can tell you most CHP officers are aware of this law and actually now check under the car. If it is suspected to be missing they can impound the car until it is inspected. I participated in a street racing operation when i was in law enforcement and that is one thing they specifically look for........
we towed numerous cars for C.A.R.B violations, many cost the owners thousands of dollars in fines, and repairs.

i do not recomend removing it......
Old 06-16-07, 09:01 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hehe, in hawaii is ok for a priv citizen to remove his cats.
Old 06-17-07, 04:47 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Hehe, in hawaii is ok for a priv citizen to remove his cats.
Did Hawaii secede from the US?!?
Old 06-17-07, 06:25 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Just like COMB said... 3-6 HP max... nothing more nothing less.

Also, this included having a free flowing muffler also..
Old 06-17-07, 07:33 PM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And if you remove cats, or any restriction, you gain horsepower and you lose about the same amount of torque.
Old 06-18-07, 05:05 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Buford
And if you remove cats, or any restriction, you gain horsepower and you lose about the same amount of torque.
You really need to look at the definition of torque and horsepower. They are mathematically / directly related. You cannot gain HP without gaining torque.

HP = torque * RPM / 5252
Old 06-18-07, 07:36 AM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

I know they always intersect at 5252. I was going by my memory of GM F-body Borla exhaust. They have a set up similar to ours, only one muffler with dual exits, with a block off plate on the right side. Two different sizes of holes and the third solid so it blocked off flow totally. Borla's dyno graph showed 15 hp gain with a 12 trq loss with both sides open. And 10hp loss and 15 trq gain with the right side blocked off. TRQ and hp still intersect at 5252 , although it seems it was 5280 but I could be wrong.ls1tech.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-197512.html

Last edited by jimmyjazz; 06-18-07 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-18-07, 03:06 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Buford
I know they always intersect at 5252. I was going by my memory of GM F-body Borla exhaust. They have a set up similar to ours, only one muffler with dual exits, with a block off plate on the right side. Two different sizes of holes and the third solid so it blocked off flow totally. Borla's dyno graph showed 15 hp gain with a 12 trq loss with both sides open. And 10hp loss and 15 trq gain with the right side blocked off. TRQ and hp still intersect at 5252 , although it seems it was 5280 but I could be wrong.ls1tech.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-197512.html
You still seem to be missing the point that HP and TQ do more than just intersect. The circumstances behind the Chevy V8 that you referenced is that it lost torque AND HP in the lower RPMs (where peak TQ occurred), and gained torque AND HP up high (where peak HP occurred). You can gain torque while reducing peak torque. Same is true for HP.
Old 06-18-07, 03:17 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I just read that thread on the LS1 forum, and there was only one guy that really seemed to understand things. There are lots of ways to add back pressure that SEEM like they would reduce it (ie. cutouts). Pipes have resonant characteristics (or harmonics) that will cause more restriction at some RPMs and less at others. Sometimes those "special RPMs" are low, and sometimes they are high. If you know anything about port design on subwoofer enclosures, it will make more sense.
Old 06-18-07, 04:24 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
I just read that thread on the LS1 forum, and there was only one guy that really seemed to understand things. There are lots of ways to add back pressure that SEEM like they would reduce it (ie. cutouts). Pipes have resonant characteristics (or harmonics) that will cause more restriction at some RPMs and less at others. Sometimes those "special RPMs" are low, and sometimes they are high. If you know anything about port design on subwoofer enclosures, it will make more sense.
It is a fine art to design exhausts...I still am trying to perfect the one on my RX.
Old 06-18-07, 04:26 PM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

I just picked that thread to show how often this has been argued. Right or wrong, It's been going on since hi-flow cat's have come out (about cat's not back pressure, that one is really old!) My opinon was formed by one article in CarCraft about four years ago. One article, not really an empiracle find! ie I could be wrong,but their is evidence either way.
Old 06-18-07, 06:39 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,978 Likes on 2,406 Posts

"Back pressure" is about the most ignorant statement most people make about exhausts. Here's a good one: does back pressure increase or decrease if you put a larger diameter exhaust on an engine? Most of your backyard types will say it decreases. It does not. It increases. Why? Because you've made a bigger hole for atmospheric pressure to push on the exhaust. I wrote something awhile ago that explains this:
Originally Posted by lobuxracer@yoursciontc.com
The header's job is to remove exhaust gases from the combustion chamber in a controlled fashion. I think we all agree here. The part needing clarification is the backpressure issue, and the elements of the header design and how they affect the engine's ability to make power.

So, how does the engine make power? A fuel/air mixture is ignited creating a high pressure region directly above a piston which creates a force on the piston dome. If we've done everything right, the piston moves down swiftly and transfers the force to the crank. While the piston is moving downward a couple of things are happening:

1. The volume of the trapped, expanding gas is increasing

2. The heat generated by the mixture burn is being turned into kinetic energy and being absorbed by the engine's components in direct contact with the gas.

These are the two most important thermodynamic effects. So how does the header design affect this process? When the exhaust cam opens the exhaust valve, there is still pressure in the cylinder from the expanding combustion process. This is called blowdown because there is a very strong gas pulse created in the exhaust by the (usually large) pressure differential between the exhaust system and the cylinder. The ability of the exhaust system to create this pressure differential is what discriminates between good and bad.

The ideal exhaust system will provide a very low pressure somewhere in a vacuum range to extract as much of the combustion effluents as possible. If we really get it right, we'll actually be able to use this process to pull fresh intake into the cylinder at overlap (the time when the exhaust valve and intake valves are open at the same time) because we have developed a very large pressure differential between the intake manifold and the exhaust. If we get it wrong (well, maybe not wrong, but that's a different discussion), we get natural EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) because the inert exhaust gases left in the cylinder will dampen the combustion process in the next cycle.

Now to the hard question, why do people believe backpressure is necessary? Because they've read in some magazine that an oversized exhaust can negatively affect performance from a loss of backpressure. Nothing could be more inaccurately stated. As Tchi mentioned, an overly large exhaust affects exhaust velocity. One of the fundamental exhaust concepts is the exhaust is a series of pulses, not a continuous stream. Those pulses can be engineered to control exhaust pressure through the exhaust system, and pressure control for blowdown is critical to performance.

BTW, I define performance as thermal efficiency, not maximum measured power. Generally improved thermal efficiency leads to more measured power, but not always.

So our header gives us the opportunity to manage when and where high and low pressure areas exist at any given point in time. It also gives us the opportunity to optimize when blowdown occurs. If the exhaust is "restrictive" because it is designed to optimize low rpm torque, blowdown is slower to permit the pressure on the piston to remain longer. If it is "freeflowing" it is optimized to get the exhaust gases out of the cylinder as quickly as possible consistent with creating a low pressure region in the cylinder at overlap. Neither is right or wrong, they are just different for different applications. The header features most important to this part of the process are diameter and length of primary tube. Larger diameters (and shorter tubes)tend to favor high rpm torque, longer primary tubes (and smaller diameters) tend to favor low rpm torque. The header designer has to strike a balance between low and high rpm operation with the primary tube diameter and length.

The other thing a header does is allows the designer to use the exhaust pulses of other cylinders to affect the cylinder actually having an exhaust event. By combining primary tubes with complementary pulses, it is possible to further control the location and size of high and low pressure regions. This is sometimes called extraction (especially in 2 strokes). The idea is to use the exhaust pulse from another cylinder to "pull" the exhaust from the next. This is part of the theory behind 4 - 2 - 1 headers for 4 cylinder engines. By merging the complementary (360 degree apart firing events) cylinders in pairs before merging them into the final collector, the header provides better "scavenging." Scavenging is a term used to simply describe creating a very low pressure region in the combustion chamber at the right time and thereby ensuring the most complete extraction of inert exhaust gas...

...The other thing going on with extraction is again, controlling when and where the pressure zones exist. In our ideal model, we have our lowest pressure zone at the exhaust valve seat when the intake starts to open. This encourages the fresh fuel/air mixture to move into the cylinder and jump starts the intake process. When you are really on top of your engine's tuning and you know where in the rpm range it is most important to make power, you can use this to get better than 100% volumetric efficiency, meaning you get more air than if you filled the cylinder at ambient pressure. It's a sort of supercharging effect all tuners like to find because it makes a smaller engine breathe like a larger one.

I touched briefly on EGR. Something important to our tC engine is Toyota uses VVTi to create EGR effects without having an EGR system as most cars do (this is true of all modern VVTi engines Toyota and Lexus make). This seriously complicates the trade-offs the header designer will have to make for the tC and any other car using this engine managment system. Without having a clear understanding of what VVTi does to perform EGR, a different header may have some very undesirable effects while still delivering a better peak power number.

If any of you have tuned EFI systems, you know it is really easy to get an engine to run with EFI, and it's pretty straight-forward to get WOT to work well. It is far from easy to get good driveability under a wide range of operating conditions. It is extremely difficult to make a change to a system as carefully integrated as a modern engine with variable cam timing and drive-by-wire throttle without upsetting the reliability of the engine to perform under a wide range of operating conditions. Tchi has a perfect example, he drives up and down a 5000' climb on a regular basis. That's a HUGE difference in operating conditions for an engine.

With this in mind, don't expect to install a header and/or aftermarket exhaust and have the same basic reliability with more power. Designing the parts is far from simple, and few, if any, of the aftermarket parts sources can perform testing to equal the manufacturers. Expect there will be problems, and you will be basically unsupported by Toyota (unless the mods say TRD on them). An engine is a symphony of parts. It is very easy to make the symphony nothing but noise with just a few imprudent changes.
So all this discussion about removing cats and power improvements is speculation. The engine was designed to run with them. Removing them without fully compensating for their absence may get you power improvements in some rpm ranges, and cause losses in others. To get it to work "right" you'll need to reprogram the ECM. Good luck with that.
Old 06-18-07, 06:53 PM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

To me back pressure is just a simple term for resistance. I don't have a knowledge of thermo dynamics or whatever kind of dynamics this is.
Old 06-18-07, 06:59 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Great write up Lobux.
Old 06-19-07, 11:37 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Nice write up Lobux.

These pulses our engine makes have anything to do with harmonics resonance? Can the two resonator boxes Lexus placed on the intake side actually help maintained the engines balance? Or are they only to mute a certain sound frequency to keep the engine noise down?

Quick Reply: removing the Cat, but keeping everything else