Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

removing the Cat, but keeping everything else

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-07, 08:55 AM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default removing the Cat, but keeping everything else

Has anyone tried this? There should be some performance increase.
Old 06-08-07, 09:08 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

If it is boosted, yes.
Old 06-08-07, 09:16 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

which cat? front or the ones in the mid pipe?
Old 06-08-07, 10:23 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

both are illegal, good luck finding a shop to do the work.
Old 06-08-07, 01:33 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

I had my exhaust finally installed a few weeks ago. I had a complete cat-back done. 2.5" mandrel bent. I had the 2 secondary cats removed no problem.

Honestly, I can't tell if theres been a performance increase or not and my mileage has been affected only because I've been constantly flooring it to hear the roar
Old 06-08-07, 01:40 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by uschardcor
both are illegal, good luck finding a shop to do the work.
hahaha.... it's like saying you can't copy a key that has a "do not duplicate" on it.

removing the all CATs after O2 sensor.
Old 06-09-07, 03:11 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX

Yes is the answer, Your details are here.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...custom+exhaust
Old 06-09-07, 04:09 PM
linh811
Lead Lap

you MIGHT get 1-2hp
Old 06-09-07, 05:19 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

linh811 more like 8-10
Old 06-09-07, 05:40 PM
linh811
Lead Lap

for removing just the secondary cats and leaving the the stock mufflers?? show me a dyno
Old 06-11-07, 12:16 PM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
hahaha.... it's like saying you can't copy a key that has a "do not duplicate" on it.

yea, its exactly like that, except one doesn't carry federal penalties anywhere near as steep as the other. you also get a key made because you need a machine. you get your exhaust installed because you're too lazy or stupid to do it yourself.

wonderful reasoning you have.
Old 06-11-07, 12:21 PM
linh811
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by uschardcor
you get your exhaust installed because you're too lazy or stupid to do it yourself.

wonderful reasoning you have.
umm so you have the tools to cut and weld in your garage? good for you. as for me, I'd rather pay someone to do, personally its not worth my time. Just like I pay for cleaning/maid service and lawn service.. same *****...
Old 06-11-07, 04:07 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure there is an increase, but noone has done any significant testing. However, the best dyno results I've seen for exhausts that retain the secondary cats is about 5 HP, and the best results that I've seen for exhausts that eliminate the secondary cats is about 10 HP. I figure that means that there is probably about 5 HP to be gained by removing the secondary cats.

The problem is that there is a maximum $10,000 federal fine for removing a working catalytic converter. I don't know what the minimum prison sentence is, but that would be MUCH more significant in my book ... especially federal. I guess you just have to figure out how badly you want that 5 HP.
Old 06-11-07, 09:19 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
I'm sure there is an increase, but noone has done any significant testing. However, the best dyno results I've seen for exhausts that retain the secondary cats is about 5 HP, and the best results that I've seen for exhausts that eliminate the secondary cats is about 10 HP. I figure that means that there is probably about 5 HP to be gained by removing the secondary cats.

The problem is that there is a maximum $10,000 federal fine for removing a working catalytic converter. I don't know what the minimum prison sentence is, but that would be MUCH more significant in my book ... especially federal. I guess you just have to figure out how badly you want that 5 HP.
Where I live in Mexico, the law is so loose that the legal wording is virtually 'below efficiency' cat for replacement which happens just about as soon as you touch the gas here. I am already on my 3rd main cat and had one of my precats destroyed by bad gas down here. Here, cars that are 1991 or later must have at least ONE working catalytic converter.

Over on solaraguy.org I have seen discussion of 1MZFE Solaras that come in 2 varieties, ones that have precats for CARB, restrictive emissions areas, and others that go under a federal emissions and only have a single cat. This came up when they were talking about use of aftermarket headers that use just a single main cat.

However, I agree going catless entirely is where the big legal issue arises.
Old 06-16-07, 09:07 AM
linh811
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gernby

but there are no dyno's with no 2nd cats while retaining the STOCK mufflers. If the stock mufflers are the limiting factor, then removing the cats while retaining the stock muffler won't do anything.

Quick Reply: removing the Cat, but keeping everything else