Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

ECU mod

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-07, 04:53 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ECU mod

someone here was testing a home made ECU flash. What happened to that? I think changing the air/fuel mixture will have the most bang.

Last edited by Dj_AmtraX; 06-08-07 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-08-07, 04:56 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

I think that was Gernby.
Old 06-09-07, 01:56 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are talking about an ECU flash, it wasn't me. I'm working on a piggy-back ECU. See my sig.
Old 06-10-07, 01:26 AM
pylee257
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah Gernby, are you ever considering going into production with that? i would love to sacrifice a little gas milage for extra performance. i think there should also be a program that will let you switch between stock air/fuel ratios to tuned air/fuel ratios. that would definitely get my attention
Old 06-10-07, 05:29 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pylee257
yeah Gernby, are you ever considering going into production with that? i would love to sacrifice a little gas milage for extra performance. i think there should also be a program that will let you switch between stock air/fuel ratios to tuned air/fuel ratios. that would definitely get my attention
I would love to develop a production model. I would just need to become a business man, find funding, put together a team ...

BTW, tuning the air / fuel ratios for better performance would also improve fuel economy. Stock AFRs are on the rich side.
Old 06-11-07, 07:04 AM
tsitalon1
Rookie

Gernby,

How did your tuning ultimately work out for you? Being an olds DSM guy, I know that a:f and timing make a huge difference. If I am not mistaken, you did state that Lexus seemed to have the a:f pretty good. I think I remember reading that you gained somewhere between 8-12hp on the dyno chart but the car "felt" better.

James
Old 06-11-07, 09:49 AM
Katin2
Lead Lap

ECU would be awesome lets get something going. Everyone one else has ecu upgrades except us..
Old 06-11-07, 12:14 PM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

because most companies allow access to their API, toyota is tighter then Jessica Simpson.
Old 06-11-07, 01:31 PM
pylee257
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by uschardcor
because most companies allow access to their API, toyota is tighter then Jessica Simpson.
LOL! yes indeedy
Old 06-11-07, 03:06 PM
BaLLzZz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gernby
I would love to develop a production model. I would just need to become a business man, find funding, put together a team ...

BTW, tuning the air / fuel ratios for better performance would also improve fuel economy. Stock AFRs are on the rich side.
If the product has potential and the numbers are proven then you have a great venture to look forward too. You should start by showing dynos showing the actual numbers of hp gained to the ratio of dollors spent(the price tbd). Also tell everyone about the real world driving effect. Get as many videos as possible. Just get the hype up start getting a list togther of potential buyers. Then go into the business side. LoL pm me with any questions.
Old 06-11-07, 03:28 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Honestly, I just wish Apexi or Greddy would buy me out. I never really wanted to build a company around it. I was just pissed off that they didn't offer the functionality that I wanted (self tuning). Maybe I should talk to Innovate Motorsports about a joint effort. My ECU could just be incorporated into their WBO2 controller (LM-1)
Old 06-11-07, 05:26 PM
PMok
Lead Lap

Have any of you guys ever heard of Dastek or their product the Unichip? It's a piggy-back ECU that alters air/fuel and timing but requires dyno tuning by an authorized installer using a laptop. I had one installed a few years back on my MR2 (NA 1.8L motor) and it made about 10hp with exhaust and intake after dyno tuning. I think the company may have changed its product significantly since then but I think the idea is still the same, just that they sell the ECUs pre-programmed and you plug it in. In theory you could still take it in and get a custom tune if you were willing to pay for the dyno time/programming time. Anyways I still have this thing on my MR2 and wonder if I could take it to an installer and have them install it on my IS350 instead, I bet it would make more of a difference on the 3.5L engine, assuming it would even work in the first place (since the tech behind this piggy-back is maybe 5-6 years old).
Old 06-11-07, 07:26 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

There ain't no way your old MR2 piggy-back would work, and even if it did, it wouldn't make as much of a difference (percentage wise).
Old 06-11-07, 08:14 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by uschardcor
had her last nite, broken in now.
Old 06-11-07, 08:23 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ReLexin
had her last nite, broken in now.
You too?!?

Quick Reply: ECU mod